Another Question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Jul 10, 2019.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, got my 3900x ordered, should be here by the weekend, hopefully. As mentioned before I plan on using my Asrock x470 Taichi as the home for the 3900x when it arrives. I've already flashed the Bios to 3.40 which is supposed to the latest Bios needed to run the new Ryzen 3000 series processors. I was looking on Asrock's website a bit ago and noticed that there was a newer Bios posted. Version 3.43. I've read in past days that this Bios was pulled for some reason and now it is back up. Question is should I use this Bios or am I ok with the v3.40?

Calliers likes this.
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

keep an eye on things as there is likely to be a slew of bios updates floating in as the products roll out and bugs and improvements are made.... it'll probably be another 1-3 months before the dust settles and rock solid bioses are on hand.

Try the 3900x on the 3.40.... see how things work... you might not get the full potential out of it initially but it'll certainly be fast. then check back on the bios situation, check reports on the new versions and see what the responses are like before leaping to it, but as i said, certainly get a newer one eventually.

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks, Judas. As always appreciate the feedback. ;)

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

I installed the 3900x about two hours ago and have been having problems staying in windows since then. When I start my PC it will boot up into windows and either will freeze or just reboot after a minute or two. I've also had problems trying to reset my memory speed to 3200 mhz. The only way it seems I can consistently keeps windows running is to keep the memory speed at 2133 mhz. Anyone have any suggestions what is happening or maybe I did something wrong, I'm not sure which. I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the x570 board. With the memory speed I've tried using the XMP Profile and have also tried setting the the speed and the timings manually and nether way works.

5. drwho

drwho Active Member

After doing some further research I'm thinking things will improve with further Bios update, correct?

6. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

@Judas, where oh where art thou?

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

They should. In the meantime, have you tried setting things manually to some slightly more conservative values? If 3200MHz frequency doesn't work, maybe 3000 will.

8. Judas

If there is one thing i've seen consistently across the realms of the ryzen 3000, is that memory support and functionality has usually improved considerably. However it's a bit iffy on the 400/300 boards.

I'm rather surprised that the the memory seems to be the teething issue for you though.

Bios updates certainly SHOULD resolve this

Generally though you do not want to skip the intermediate bios update paths that they state for boards.... frankly i think this is utterly stupid, incremental bios updates floor me as it just seems really unnecessary, why is it?

The only other thing i could recommend is removing the cpu, checking all pins and making sure the pga socket is clear of debris.... sticking the cpu back in and wiggling it around (gently) to ensure full contact. I tend to even with LGA socket cpus put a fairly sizable amount of pressure on the center of the cpu while latching it down.

I recently moved a ryzen 1300 to a 3600 and the process was rather seamless, didn't reset the cmos even, just booted up and the memory was still at 3200mhz without issue, that's on a B350 AsRock board.

A full bios/cmos reset may assist as well. It's really hard to say, but for an x470 board, it should certainly be supported and work out of the box rather well.

9. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Judas. I will work on them this afternoon and post back when I see if anything changes. Thanks for the help.

10. Judas

I'd also say that in your situation, a bios update to the latest one might be worth trying as well.

11. drwho

drwho Active Member

Reporting back with my findings. I reseated the processor and made sure it was snug then put the heat sink back and tightened everything. I then reset the cmos and the Uefi. Then restarted and tried to reset the XMP for my G.Skill memory. Within a few minutes of booting into windows everything froze and I had to restart. Went back into the Uefi and reset the defaults and was able to stabilize windows again. I really don't know what I might have done as this is new territory for me. But for the moment I'm no better off than I was earlier.

12. drwho

drwho Active Member

As I mentioned in my first post I have the Bios 3.40 installed. There is a newer one 3.43, but it was pulled awhile ago and is now back up. I read on some of the Asrock forums that people were have problems with it when they flashed to it.

13. drwho

drwho Active Member

Just found this on the OverclockersUK Forum. It explains part of the problems I've been having. Question is, where do I go from here. I'm half tempted to go to a x570 board and the heck with this.

14. Judas

well if you still have the 2700x.... and it was rock solid... you could pack up the x470 board and 2700x together as a working combo and sell it to someone.... then snag a x570 for the 3900.

I still suspect that these are mostly just teething issues as many of the asrock boards appear to be using an older ageias bios version... As most things, the first month is usually kind of rocky, regardless of the brand of cpu and chipset.

15. drwho

drwho Active Member

Well, as it happens I do still have the 2700x. I've a neighbor who has asked me if I could build him a new computer for him. I told him what I was planning if he would pick up the cost of the new parts for his computer I would build it for him and he has accepted. So now I have the means to get myself one of the x570 boards. My reasoning is that I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for Asrock to put out some new Bios for the x470 Taichi. It could take a week or how long it might take. After looking at the available for the x570 I picked the Gigabyte Aorus x570 Ultra. I'm gonna add some G.Skill DDR4-3600 memory to the mix also.I've already ordered the board from Newegg. ;)

16. Judas

I hope in that case that all goes very well and that you see quite a nice improvement in other aspects due to the newer chipset.

17. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks, Judas. This will be my first Gigabyte board, I hope I haven't made a wrong decision.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  18. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

My son and I both have Gigabyte boards that are going on 5 years old. AND we have both been very impressed with them. At the same time, we are also both itching to do some upgrading in the near future. I'll likely do mine before he does his. And, still looking at Gigabyte....but, for the very, very first time ever....also considering Ryzen from AMD.

19. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the reply, DS. I've no complaints with the Ryzen processors I've used sofar. I should get my x570 Aorus Ultra tomorrow. I will be building either Friday or Saturday, depending on how things go. :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  20. Judas

my experience with gigabyte is fairly above neutral... i've a few systems out there with gigabyte boards.. in fact that one customer that had me build that goliath 8 display monster back in 2008, is using 2 identical machines running gigabyte boards, the one board roasted within the first 3 months though i was suspicious of it due to it randomly having memory issues. A replacement board was gotten and both machines have been running for 11 years flawlessly. In fact the machine last year around this time i upgrade it from vista to windows 10 along with samsung SSD and moved from 6gb of ram to 12GB (replaced the 3x2GB modules with 3x4GB ddr3).

the cost of the machine was considerably less than what he was thinking he would have to do. I didn't even have to upgrade the HD3000 series graphics cards that were installed.