Another Question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Jul 10, 2019.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks, Judas. That's nice to hear. I'm always a little leery when using something I've never tried before. I've got some G.Skill DDR4-3600 speed memory I'll adding to the mix on this build. The memory is confirmed Samsung B-Die so it should work well. One last thing, there is a new Bios out for the Ultra, the F4f. Is it necessary to add this Bios right away or can I add it on after I have Win 10 installed?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It's generally wise to update the bios before installing windows

Also keep in mind that typically on gigabyte boards, the bios has hidden features... though i can't say if this is still true for UEFI though.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the advice, Judas.

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, I'm back up and running. Been spending the evening getting things back where I like them. The G.Skill DDR4-3600 XMP setting worked perfectly. Also flashed the Bios to the latest one which was F4f. Boy, Judas you mentioned something about hidden features, you sure were right. Right after I updated to the F4f Bios and the computer restarted it went right into Memtest. It was nothing I put on so it had to come from the Bios update. Still have a few things to do tomorrow, but all in all I'm very happy with the way things turned out. One thing I will not do in the future is buy any more Asrock motherboards, that's twice I've been burned now.

5. Judas

There was currently a beta bios floating about for the asrock taichi, as it's been reported and a rather lengthy reddit post of other users reporting the same symptoms as you.

Apparently the beta bios appears to have resolved the freezes and lockups, but hasn't done thorough testing.

the 3.43 that was pulled and put up and pulled again and then put up is still 3.43 because it's primary change is the agias version changes and the problems with it which even amd identified as a problem.

But like i said, likely by the end of the month, we'll see pretty much all the bios issues present on pre-existing 300/400 series boards completely ironed out and actual performance improvements.. along with the x570 chipsets that'll see some refinements along the way too.

There is a reason i tend to hold off on snagging the absolute newest hardware the moment it launches personally and i try to hold off on waiting customers... those that rush in i try to show the evidence of teething issues that occur and they are less impatient.

However as you were saying though, that things were running just fine with the x470 asrock board you had with 2700x right? I don't generally avoid a product simply due to a relatively shaky upgrade. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

6. drwho

drwho Active Member

There is some truth in what you say, Judas. LOL, patience is a virtue I'm in short supply of. Wouldn't be the first time I've gotten myself in deep water because of it. Thanks for all your help. :)

7. Judas

curious to see how or what has transpired since... any update?

8. drwho

drwho Active Member

Hey Judas
    Everything is good. The Gigabyte x570 Ultra is a really nice board. Everything is running very nicely. Have the G.Skill memory running at 3600 mhz with timings of 16-16-16-36. The computer is ultra fast and my gaming is great. Able to play all games on ultra settings. I've noticed on Gigabyte's website that there is a new Bios out for the x570 Ultra. The F4i...
    1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB
    2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
    3. Improve XMP DDR compatibility
    Would you consider this a necessary update? I already it downloaded, just wondering if I should flash the Bios again so soon after getting up and running.

BTW, you were correct about the new Bios update for my old Asrock board. They came out with a new Bios v3.50 which upped the AGESA to 1.0.0.3.

9. Judas

I'd say hold off on it for now if things are working right. I'd let the system burn in as is, and only jump on the new bios if you run into a limitation or something buggering up at this point. In the meantime enjoy the sweet sweet performance improvements and stellar power.

I'm actually in the process of assembling a few ryzen 3000 builds, though the 3900x is backorder again for the 2nd week and they don't expect any stock for yet another 2 weeks.

I ended up snagging one of the cheapest x570 boards on the market, the AsRock Gaming 4... quite a bit cheaper than the others. Slipped the 3600 in and it fired up pretty smoothly along with the 3200mhz dimms i got from Calliers, i did have it running 3400mhz, but this machine will be used for a business application.

I'm still waiting on a case and m.2 drive, the PSU and graphics adapter will be pulled and used out of their older machine i had built them over 10 years ago (though the graphics card was recently replaced due to lack of windows 10 support being maintained for their needs, the HD2000 series cards were... well... failing to maintain). So the 525watt psu and RX560 4gb they got recently will migrate into the new system.

The system is certainly fast even for a SATA samsung 860 evo ssd. With m.2 it'll simply fly.

10. drwho

drwho Active Member

It's funny how things work sometimes. I was lucky to get my 3900x when I did. I had to keep checking Amazon until they became available. They be around for abit and then out of stock again. I find it really amazing what kinda prices are being asked for a 3900x right now on Amazon.