Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Maskclone2k, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Maskclone2k

Maskclone2k New Member

This is my first thread so I would like to say hello to all members. I've been reading many threads and find you all to be very knowledgeable so I thought I might ask some questions.
    I want to have your opinion on any suggestions that I can possibly make to my computer. (Now keep in mind that I am 17 year-old with no job, so purchasing stuff make be a little difficult.) These suggestions could be as simple as little hardware addaptations (maybe overclocking) or case mods (maybe), etc. So here are my system specs:

Windows XP Home Editon
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (Running at 1396.5 (10.5 x 133 FSB))
    ThermalTake Volcano 6 Heatsink & Fan (Running around 4800 RPM)
    Epox 8K7A Motherboard w/Fan on Chipset
    256 MB Samsung DDR RAM
    Maxtor 60 GB 7200 HARD DRIVE
    ATI Radeon 8500 128 MB(Retail)
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
    Two Case Fans (80mm, one for intake, one for exaust) and one PCI slot exaust fan (however, it is located in the front of the case through one of the 5.25 drive bays)
    300 Watt PowerMan Power Supply
    No overclocking on anything
    CPU temp averages around 95 to 105 F (35 to 40.5 C) (though it has reached around 111 F (43.5 C)
    System temp average around 80 to 85 F (26.6 to 29.4 C)
    Ambient temp is around 78 F (25.5 C)

Any info, suggestions, etc will greatly be apprieciated!

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

First off, I'd be inclined to stick another 256 meg in there - but never mix memory brands or models.

Your temps are well within spec, so start overclocking that FSB - that Epox board is good for oc'ing. You can probably get the FSB around the 150-155 stage and still keep stable without any additional cooling.

3. Maskclone2k

Maskclone2k New Member

Thanks UberLord! :D I'll try that out, though it will have to wait awhile due to the fact that I will be in San Diego for 3 weeks.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

OC everything....HARD!

I'm into pushing my equipment a bit, I'd also overclock your radeon once you find out what your stablest/highest FSB is. (Your viddy card is affected by how high you overclock your FSB, it's best to do things one at a time. ;) ) Next to overclocking your processor it's probably your best speed gain.

Be warned: Once you start down the tweaking path, forever your destiny altered will be!

5. Alan Allen

Alan Allen The "Eye"

I agree with Digitalwanderer!

6. Maskclone2k

Maskclone2k New Member

Thanks to all for these suggesstions, when I get home I will try them. I may return for help when doing these things. If anyone can think of anyothers that would be great! THANKS AGAIN!!! :p