any way to change the taskbar color?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I tend to use a scheme that allows that little 'edge' line to blend with the background. But, if I move the entire taskbar to the top of the screen instead of using it at the bottom, it completely disappears on my CRT.

You might want to experiment with it located at other areas of the screen instead of the bottom. (Just 'grab' the entire task bar and 'drag' it to the new location.)

3. Dark Lord

i just tried that and im afraid it doesnt work.

my guess is your crt is off centered by just a hair and that lip disappears over that edge. im using dvi so it centers it perfectly.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

3 more ways to do this:

1) Use a theme that has a smaller (height wise) taskbar. In my case I use one called Razor, and when I autohide the taskbar completely disappears.

2) You can try using a program called Transbar, which you can get off THIS site. This program will allow you to change the opacity of the taskbar, so when you autohide the bar it will be almost invisible. Note: there is an invisible setting, but my advice, don't do it. Invisible, to Windows, means off. Best setting seems to be anywhere from 8 to 10% opacity.

3) You can also completely turn off the taskbar via a registry edit. However, this isn't probably what you want to do (or a smart thing to do either).

6. Dark Lord

im using the transbar for now, but i think ill look into other themes. i dont like not being able to see the clock.

whats a good spot to start looking for them?

7. Dark Lord

and its gone. i used the hacked uxtheme.dll and that little lip was gone on reboot.

i thin i will look for some new themes though, i could use a change from this old windows classic layout.

found a nice vista ish theme that im quite happy with.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6678/57865735oq6.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Wouldn't using the "Auto Hide Taskbar" option in the task bar properties work to have it off the screen when you don't want it?

9. Dark Lord

for the most part it does, but it left a little white edge still on the screen. on a black background it was going to drive me insane having that little line there.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The one I use on all my personal machines is called Razor2. It's an almost all black theme, and has various alternates such as a black/orange one. I usually install the Royale theme that comes with Autopatchers Add-on piece (which is the Energy theme from MCE) on most of the machines I build. I also install a black altered Royale theme called "Royale Noir", Dragon Style, Aurum, and an Aero type theme in case the client wants something different.

11. Dark Lord

got links to those?

found them. that razor2 is very nice.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007