Anyone handy at Maths able to explain this ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mr Cairo, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

considering the number of textbooks and tests that i've seen made up from text books directly.... that have questions like this all over the place.... and when one teacher i know of called up the company responsible for creating such text books to determine if it's "correct/complete" they were clearly told yes... it's intended that way... to which they were asked to solve it "Sorry we aren't *subject* knowledgable.... refer to the answers guide in the teachers book" which ironically gave no clear answer at all which proves that it was indeed a total bloody loaded question that should not have existed in the first place.

You think this is bad... take at look at the education systems choice of various subject text books and their examples/work sections that are beyond just screwed up.... loaded beyond reason.... and if you follow the money you can find out why quickly... specially if you find out HOW the specific companies responsible for "certifying these books" aren't really regulated nor do they have any input from ANY educated or intelligent people at all.

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

You are aware this is supposed to be one of those "lol this so retarded" style pictures right?

3. Judas

not when you find these exact things in actual school textbooks

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Nope this is my childs actual maths homework

5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

6. Mr Cairo

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I had an actual demonstration last night during a delivery as to just how messed up things are with this modern method of math:

I made a delivery to a UNIVERSITY STUDENT. The total of the order was $15.88. Now, keep in mind, we do -- in most cases -- receive a TIPS on the delivery. So this gal handed me $22.00....a $20 and 2 $1 bills. And then she asked me for $4 in change. Of course, that meant that I did receive a $2.12 cent TIPS on the delivery, but, what was/is the logic behind giving me the $2 only to have it given right back to her?

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Perhaps she thought it was cute/funny and she was flirting. Wanted the D.

9. Mr Cairo

So anyway the summer is over and he was back in maths a few days ago the paper was returned and the answer of 1 car equals 4 meters so 1 cm= 4meters was wrong I am hoping to find out why a parents evening in 3 days

10. Trusteft

If the teacher gives a BS answer, slap him/her.

11. Mr Cairo

Oh its a temptation alright

12. Judas

This isn't an uncommon problem it seems.... Granted sometimes people aren't entirely awake and the best of us can do something similarly stupid...

However

I for the most part.. pay everything with cash... something that is apparently quite uncommon for even here locally in the middle of nowhere... Most people are just whipping out their creditcard/debit card and hitting the tap and go or punching in thier codes.

I however tend to try and shoot for getting easy change back or bills still.. and since we only have $5 and up bills, i'll quite often give cash that results in an even or just above a $5 with as close to getting either a few quarters or loonies/toonies... no dimes/nickels please.

Suffice it to say, in the even of something coming to 15.88... i'd likely give 20 dollars and 88 cents.... or if i didn't have that... 21 dollars and 38 cents as an example. Even though the math should work out to either an exact 5 dollars back OR 5 dollars and 50 cents.... almost anytime i give someone a bill plus extra change in excess of the total amount.... they stand dumbfounded/confused "why did you give me change when this bill alone will cover it all!?" is a paraphrased statement i frequently get asked. Trying to explain that it's just WAY easier to handle the change i'll receive.. and the fact that i'm doing simple math for their benefit as well without them having to try and pull out a calculator.... it just goes right over their heads. This is especially hilarious when they try and short change me or give me far too much change.... i don't take the extra they give me.. i just stand there and wait for them to figure it out or i'll state "you might want to recalculate what you owe me". Sometimes it pisses them off.. sometimes they laugh when they realize that they buggered up... and on occasion i get ridiculed for being right.

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I tend to do the same when paying cash for things. And, the "deer in headlights" look I often get is a very common reaction. ;)

14. Mr Cairo

Lol Maths tutor here last night and is unsure of what they are asking and is convinced that there is some information missing

IvanV and Dyre Straits like this.
  15. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

On the 1st one you guys were overthinking it. Don't try a figure out how big the cars are etc.
    just look at the distance between cars parked and figure it out from there... (for future reference)

16. Judas

So what's the answer then?

17. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Shhhh, it's a secret.

18. Trusteft

How will you figure out the distance between cars if you don't know the size of said cars?

IvanV likes this.
  19. Mr Cairo

How can you figure out the distance between parked cars without knowing the size of the car ?

We attended parents evening and after chatting with the maths teacher I asked about the problem, she seemed a little vague and said that without seeing the actual paper she wouldn't like to guess "well that's handy I have it here" ... it was equally disturbing and funny to watch she was so obviously totally perplexed and didn't have a clue she could not explain it to us apparently will "get back to us"

Ok so hang on last week you marked my sons answer wrong and you don't know why and you are teaching this to our kids and you don't know how to do it ... I am brimming with confidence

Calliers likes this.
  20. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Did you ever find out what the correct answer was?