anyone want a laugh? well im still using a SB PCI 128 sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, May 25, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well I had been looking at upgrading this and I wanted to hear your view points on this little card ive had for years now ....

I really dont need digital sound (as I have a home cinema setup via DVD and widescreen TV), all I use my computer sound for is playing games and MP3s .. so stereo quality is important.

I have a nice speaker setup .. with 4 highend yamaha satellites via 2 subwoofers (cost over £300 in total), so the sound for playing music is really clear and effective. (well as good as ive heard from a computer setup)

Recently I took home a SB live card from work but this sucker did not want to tango with my setup and XP and caused more problems for me than anything ive ever had, so I took it back and just replaced the old PCI128 card I have had for years. rock solid, never a problem, never any issues at all actually. just plug and hear.

im happy, so tell me, why should I upgrade? is it worth the money?

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

Since you enjoy games, and I bet you would enjoy effects on your music and more control. I would suggest going with either the Santa Cruz or Philips Edge. You don't have to spend a whole lot, and plus get much better STABLE drivers for XP. I used to have a nice Pioneer Receiver with a 12" Polk Sub and four Yamaha bookshelf's. It sounded great but took up a lot of room in my small computer room. Plus seemed odd my computers receiver was better than my home theater receiver. So I just moved the new receiver to my home theater, and bought myself a pair of Klipsch. Really though if your content with what you have, and it works I say don't upgrade. You probably have a very nice receiver on the card anyway, so what really is the point. Remember the old saying, if it's not broke...don't fix it.

3. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

What Necrosis said. Personally, I like Phillip's better (QSound is awesome), but both brands are really good and should fit your needs quite nicely.