Apparently, You Can Lower Radeon VII Temps by 40°C with Sandpaper

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by IvanV, Feb 21, 2019.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It looks like there is a trivial, yet crippling issue with AMD's new Radon VII preventing it from living up to the potential of the hardware: the base of the stock cooler is concave, which prevents it from receiving heat from the GPU efficiently. The solution: sand it down a bit to make it flat (and add washers to get the proper mounting pressure). Result: peak junction temperature falls by 40°C, throttling is no longer an issue, the card becomes overclockable! At least judging by this Reddit post.

EDIT: Looks convex actually, judging by the first photo after he starts sanding. Not flat either way.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Considering the price of the Radeon VII, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this myself as I don't have a lot of experience doing DIY jobs. I could ask my landlord to maybe (if I had a Radeon VII) as he owns a flooring company and is very good with his hands and tools. @IvanV

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Frak me. Wwaayy too much paste, buddy.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I thought that he went a bit heavy on the paste too, despite his explanation.

I wouldn't feel comfortable voiding my warranty on such an expensive piece of gear, but other than that it seems like it's not hearth surgery: just put some sand paper of the right grain to a side of a flat piece of wood (or something else flat, because if you just hold it in your hand you'll sand evenly both highs and lows instead of removing the highs) and slowly work on it until it's flat.

If this indeed is a universal remedy for the Radeon VII, it's ridiculous that it went through approval process and quality control like that. Then again, if it's this simple, maybe AMD will fix it and the VII will become the card it was supposed to be.

EDIT: It's not unlikely that the guy did find the real issue with the card. People have tried underclocking and undervolting the card to battle the high temperatures to no avail, so it does seem likely that there is a problem with the contact between certain parts of the GPU and the cooler base.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Actually due to the HBM and gpu.... one of the BIGGEST issues for apply thermal paste is that MOST people put TOO little on, the gaps and non-universal surfaces provide a difficult situation in which is only remotely resolved by pouring the thermal paste to it. Basically got to mash it out the edges. This all started with the fury cards and vega too... r7 isn't free of this though they have clearly improved the process.