ASIO setup on CT4830

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rafael Alt, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

Hi, there.
    I recently reinstalled my old Live! Value on Windows 10. Since then, I've trying to configure ASIO to work with as many inputs as possible - at least the line in jack plus the internal line in and analog CD inputs.
    Can someone help me with this? And please, PLEASE, don't start with the "why would you do that" or "you should do something else".
    Thanks!

2. peate

peate Active Member

I don't have kX installed and can't verify but if I remember correctly, all those inputs are AC97 and can only be used individually.

3. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

Hey, thanks for replying! By "individually", you mean I can't use then in a multitrack config? If so, what are the 8 (or 16) inputs I see in the ASIO control panel?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Yeah the "live" cards didn't multitrack... Best you'll get is a stereo pair. (don't have Kx installed, so I'm going from memory)

We did use them as additional inputs in a setup with multiple Audigy cards, but on their own they didn't multitrack. Back in the day 2 Audigy cards and a live was the hot setup...

Rafael Alt likes this.
  5. peate

peate Active Member

Digital inputs on the card can be used individually, but you need a digital signal to use them. I used a Live Drive on a SB0600 and could get three stereo pairs to record with Asio. One pair with the AC97 line in on the back of the card, one with Line 2 and one with Aux. in, both on the Live Drive. There was also an Optical input and MIDI input but I never used them. As you can see by the picture, there are two digital inputs you could use with a bit of fiddling around. CD SPDIF and SPDIF I/O. There is an adapter available but don't know how easy it is to find. The 16 ASIO inputs are used for software mutlitrack recording as a way to channel the outputs to individual tracks for further processing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rafael Alt likes this.
  6. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

peate, a similar 6-track is exactly what I'm after, but with the internal CD and aux inputs. I'm 100% positive these inputs don't sum with the others through the chipset, otherwise there'd be no way to control the CD level independently, for instance.
    Tyrsonswood, I also have a Live + an Audigy here at the moment, and can easily use both simultaneously with Asio4all, along with my ART stereo/USB/SPDIF preamp and what seems to be a very crappy Realtek onboard chip, but I'll insist a bit longer with the Live as a all-channels hub of sorts.

7. peate

peate Active Member

There are multiple analog inputs, but only one AC97 to control them, thus you only have one output. Sorry.

8. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

Well, seems you're right: I can make the individual inputs work, but only get sound from each if it's selected as the AC97 input source. What puzzles me then is why in the nine hells are there so many inputs coming out from prolog, like Line2 and Aux2, and what are these 8010 and 8018 numbers that show besides them?

9. peate

peate Active Member

Those are the digital inputs I mentioned before, only available with the Live Drive or tapping into the input pins manually, As far as the numbers go, beats me.

10. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

Not sure what you mean by "tapping into the input pins manually", but I've plugged into the internal CD_IN and AUX_IN sockets and, as I said, could only get sound from them if I selected it as the AC97 input, even with independent connections from them to the individual epilog's ASIO inputs. In other words, it seems that the 16 last inputs on epilog - i.e. the ASIO inputs - won't work with anything except for the AC97 output.
    I thought ASIO could override AC97 and reach the chipset by its own, so I gathered all these - not digital - inputs on prolog would correspond to the physical inputs the card has (with the "unknown" being the TAD input). It's very unfortunate it isn't so, it would make a SBLive a very powerful recording interface.

11. peate

peate Active Member

The digital inputs are what I'm referring to. CD SPDIF and the two pins on the header. Look at the picture above. Those can be used separately, but you need digital input to make them work. Thus the need for the adapter or a mixer with digital output.

12. Rafael Alt

Rafael Alt New Member

Oh, I see. For a moment I thought you could be talking about the CD and aux input sockets, not the actual pins of the digital IO.
    Anyways, I'm now going for Asio4all, setting my PC to combine the line in pair of inputs of each soundcard I have. I had fiddled with the KX driver a long time ago, and it seems my memory betrayed me and I held it in a higher regard than it's due.