Asteroid That Orbits Sun Backward Not from Our Solar System

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, May 23, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

A 3-kilometer-wide asteroid with a nearly identical orbit to Jupiter has served up one mystery after another for astronomers. When it was discovered in November 2014 using Pan-STARRS (Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System) at the Haleakala Observatory in Hawaii, asteroid 2015 BZ509 was found to have a very rare quality: it orbits clockwise around the sun — the opposite direction of the planets and other asteroids.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

This reminds me of something that happened when my family moved in 1961 from Indiana to Florida. I was 12-years old at the time. We moved to the St. Petersburg area on the "Sun Coast".

It wasn't long...maybe a couple of years...after we moved there that the City of St. Petersburg voted to change 1st Ave N. and 1st Ave S. to One-way streets going in the opposite direction.

I read in the St. Petersburg Times newspaper shortly afterwards that a St. Pete police officer pulled over a Senior City Lady for going the wrong way on one of those streets.

As he got to her window, he asked, "Ma'am, where do you think you're going?"

As she looked down the road, she answered, "I guess it doesn't matter. It looks like everyone is already coming back." :)