Asus A8R-MVP Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I tried reverting back in DOS and by doing Alt F12 during boot, no go. Bios 503 did something to the board that prevents me from reverting back. Things have gotten bad enough stability wise with this A8R-MVP, including the reboots, I'm bailing out from it and will be installing my new ABIT AT8 32X motherboard tonight.

2. leech0r

leech0r New Member

Since this topic was listed on the first place in Google when searching for emulated PATA problems, i registred here cause i have a solution for a common problem on this mobo, so here i'm now to tell you this fix because a lot of people having troubles with it.

So you want to install Windows XP (i tried WinXP + SP2) on your Asus A8R- MVP mobo (i have the Deluxe version) using the well-known Emulated PATA option? No problem.

Your SATA HDD-drive is regonized by your BIOS as well as your XP install cd, but after the XP install cd formatted your drive, and copied the files to your computer. Your PC reboots but does nothing after that. It only restarts the XP install cd again.

This sounds formiliar? Here is your solution.

Dont let the XP install cd create partitions on your drive(!!) I used the Ultimateboot CD and started SPFDISK (sort kind of advanced fdisk manager) and deleted all partitions on my HDD and created a new primary partition, and _set it to active_ using this tool. Now when you install XP you just need to format my drive using the NTFS (quick) option and let he installtion continue as normal. Now when your PC reboots you just get the XP installation wizard.

Hope this helps alot of peeps. It took my 2 hours to figure out. And btw, you dont need to use de F6/floppy method at all when not using RAID on this mobo!

Cya!

3. SWITCH12380

SWITCH12380 New Member

I had to used afudos 2.11 to flash back to 402

I had to used afudos 2.11 to flash the 0402 update back

4. scorpion2000

scorpion2000 New Member

hi all

hi at all

i just registered because of a small problem with my a8r32 mvp deluxe but really annoying
    time to time i have small pauses about 0.5sec of the sound while a play a game or i watch a movie
    this happens when the hds loading not all the time ofcourse, i can say 4, 5 times a day
    i have 2 hds in raid 0 in uli raid controller and a soundblaster live ,i tried the onboard sound card but the problem insist, i downloaded the last uli raid drivers 2.20 but the same
    i upgrade my bios to 4010 and after to 5020 but the same problem so what can i do
    is this a problem of the board or a problem of drivers or bios .what do you think???
    do you have any information what asus plans to do with this board and her problems?????
    should we wait any new bios releases or something?????

thank you all in advance

5. SiLvABuLLetZ

SiLvABuLLetZ New Member

This Board Sucks A**

I Can't Even Oc My Friggen Board. Even At Default This Piece Of Friggen Shi* Shuts Down After Cpu Intensive Apps. I Have 2x1gig of OCZ PLATIN AND I Can't Even HAVE WINDOWS STABLE GOING 1t At 235 Fsb. Bs. I'm Getting A Dfi 3200 Dr And I Highly Recommend Everyone Do The Same. This Board Is As Valuable As My Right Testicle's Day's Worth Of Pubic Hair. Bull Sh*t I Say. Bull F-ing Sh*t. P.s I Have An Fx-57 And It's Like Giving A Princess A Dog's Bbq'd Asshole For Dinner. Lol. Peace Asus.

6. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I bailed on this piece of junk, 3 weeks ago, when I got my ABIT AT8 32X, and I don't regret getting my ABIT AT8 32X. It's by far more stable than the A8R-MVP ever was and ever will be.

I recommend people bail on this board, and get a high end motherboard that uses the Xpress 3200 chipset.

7. Crazysamz

Crazysamz New Member

hey guys, I am pretty much a newb in computer building, because I've only built one so far. Well, anyways, My first custom PC has been having a few problems. First of all, when I plug in my 7 port USB hub, it randomly freezes, and it used to also restart until I disabled that in windows. Another problem is when it's booting up and the post is checking for usb devices and I have my hub plugged in, sometimes it will freeze while searching for usb devices. I don't think it's my hub, but i do think it's my mobo's built in usb, because other usb devices cause this also when i overload my usb ports. So, I ordered a usb card for my mobo from newegg (link), do you think I will be able to hook up all 11 of my USB devices into my pc (while using the hub) without it freezing???

8. Crazysamz

Crazysamz New Member

well the usb card came in and hasn't helped at all (actually made problems worse), so i took it out, because it was making my pc freeze even without usb devices and was making my mobo's tempurature skyrocket from it's normal 34 degrees celcius to a whopping 50 degrees celcius. I found out that when i plug in my usb devices after i boot into windows, it no longer randomly freezes, so i plugged everything into my 7-port usb hub which i plugged into one of the two usb ports on the little pci expansion card that came with the motherboard ( the one with the game controller port on it), and it has been running smoothly.

9. baseball_55

baseball_55 New Member

Crazysamz

Nice to see you solved your problem. Still a few compatibility problems with some usb devices.

bb55

Wow

24 pages & still going strong after all this time.

10. Crazysamz

Crazysamz New Member

Actually, I found out it wasn't my usb devices, it was either my sound card or my pci slot that held my sound card, because after a few days it grew unstable again, so i decided to re-diagnose, and it came out that my sound card is most likely defective.

11. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Opteron support A8R-MVP?

Can i install a Opteron 185 duel core cpu in this motherboard? Mind you after reading the posts in this forum, i'm not sure if its worth trying. Great price on http://www.pccanada.com/inventory.asp?cat=CPUS these cpus right now.

12. jpinard

jpinard New Member

If you don't have this mobo - don't buy it. If you go to Asus's website I think they still have a cpu compatability chart (their site is inaccessible to me right now)...

13. csimon

csimon New Member

Well ...it's time I remove this thread from my favorites. Nice to know so many ppl can come together over such an issue. I ordered an AT8 finally to replace this A8R which I will retire to [email protected] later next month. I wouldn't sell it ...just doesn't seem right.

Take care.
    csimon

14. jpinard

jpinard New Member

hehe, that cracks me up :rofl:

15. xampion

xampion New Member

Have anybody audio drivers for Windows Vista?

Thanks

16. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I didn't have the heart to give away or sell the A8R-MVP I had to anybody, so I traded it in at the dealer I do a lot of business with, and $60.00 was knocked off the price of my AT8 32X, 3.5 months ago when I bailed on this ASUS piece of junk, after learning the hardway that it was a low end piece of junk.

My ABIT AT8 32X is far more stable, and performs far better than the A8R-MVP ever did and ever will.

17. tzorge

tzorge New Member

Just got rid of the damned ASUS board and got my hands on dfi cxf3200 seems to be a lot better. At least the lan won't screw up any more and the voltage options might mean a better oc. Haven't posted my (bad) experiences with this board so far, and i think its pointless to do so at this stage hehe.

18. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Hell no. I had to install the XP 64 drivers just to get 2.o out of the thing. I had to sell my X-FI cause it sucked and raped my mobo. Make sure when you install the XP Driver you do it through the device manager, and enable DVD quality. Sounds better.

Right now, it will only play stereo, 2,0. No 7.1 or 5.1. Weak.

Yeah I neeed a sound card. Azuntech is the way I am going. Waiting for 64 bit Vista drivers first.

19. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

New BIOS seems to be out on asus homepage.

"A8R-MVP Beta BIOS 0602
    Latest beta BIOS."

20. dan|d|man

dan|d|man New Member

Hi guys,

Just to let you know Assus have released new audio drivers for the A8R-MVP motherboard over the past day or so, Vista 32-bit and 64-bit ar now available.

Enjoy!

*EDIT - Talk about bringin up an old thread! :p

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007