Asus A8R32-MVP Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Stuart_Davidson, Mar 6, 2006.

1. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

chris
    just because you dont have probs,they majorty do
    all over forums over the net
    smart comments dont help people,surprised at you
    dfi suppoet is crap,the issues seems more with dfi seems more with users than asus and abit and sapphire
    dfi dont help themselfs by not addressing the issues like with the cfx3200 on 939
    there demo boards they sent to reviewers seem better,end product was hit or miss
    some say was poor uli chips, and other things
    some issues go away and after weeks or months new ones pop up
    when i was looking at his cfx3200 before xmas,was looking at either sapphire ,asus or dfi,went with dfi as was last new product based on r580 chipset with high hopes from users and reviewers gave it top marks in most cases as they did with asus
    maybe quality control was asleep when making the cfx3200,who knows
    asus was also slow to sort things,wih only pressure from forums like driverheaven and users alike
    seems quality is low these days with mobos,these things should be 98% sorted before giving it for production or get more beata tester helping
    its great that teck in pc movers like it does sometimes,but seem a high cost to it when you get probs like with the r580
    ati and uli are also to blame in big way,its there chips that having probs and making these xfire mobo below standard,thsi is said over and over and they dont listen
    all i want is a godd mobo for xfire out of box and get setup with less or no probs ,if i tweak it ,then its on me
    not stupid excuses or like at,dfi,asus ,uli etc burying there heads in sand and say all ok and will go away
    off to look for some thing better in xfire on939 as wasted enough money so far

2. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Actually no, it's the motherboard manufacturers that are making the low quality motherboards. ASUS made the low quality A8R-MVP that was a total piece of junk, then along came MSI with their RD 480 board, followed by DFI with their RDX200 board, and then along comes ABIT with the AT8. Also note that the majority of the RD580 motherboards also used the ULI Southbridge, which was also a big mistake. Where the trouble really started is because the motherboard manufacturers paired the ATI RD480 and RD580 Northbridges with the ULI Southbridges, which they never should have done. The motherboard manufacturers should have used the ATI SB400 or SB450 Southbridge, even though the SATA only would have been SATA1 not SATA2, there would have been no trouble at all.

Only two motherboard manufactuers that actually used the ATI Southbridge were ECS a third tier motherboard manufacturer, and Sapphire who made the AR9D580 motherboard.

All this time it's been the ULI Southbridge that has caused a lot of the troubles, including on a lot of the Crossfire boards, having stuttering sound when using the ULI SATA Drivers when the SATA controller is set to AHCI, or RAID Mode, but when in IDE Mode these boards don't have no problem with stuttering sound.

You are incorrectly blaming ATI's chipset, when you should be blaming ULI and the motherboard manufacturers that used the ULI Southbridges, which were the M1573 and M1575 southbridge.

ASUS did not help themselves, by refusing to fix the troubles with the A8R-MVP, and just let that board fall by the way side when they came out with the A8R32-MVP.

If I had the money right now, I would be placing me an order for the Sapphire AR9D580 Motherboard.

3. kelticknight

first i blamed all involved
    manfacures for not testing and amking sure
    dfi i blame soley for not giving better stock setting so users could even get into windows
    would have look at abit,only i needed more that 1 standard pci slot when suing xfre setup
    cant even get AR9D580,if i could i would and living in euro,if i had to get say from states ,would cost me extra 12.5 %
    the uli was bull,should nver have happened and even more so,all should have made them correct it even doe nvidia own uli now
    have lost fate in crossfire mobos as bad track record so far and that all i have used for last 8 years is ati,so its not helping me
    my dfi cfx3200 has too many silly probs and every week,some thing get cured by itself and another shows up
    all i was looking at end of day was acrossfire mobo that worked out of box and if i wanted to to overclock ,i could
    wasnt much to ask
    getting a new x-fi fatal1y gamer pro card today,if it doesnt work,will get the new sound card people are raving about here in audio section which is non-creative
    any ways ,if i can get thsi alittle better,will keep till new amd cpu comes out ,if i could get he sapphire r580 xfre mobo ,i would,for now will ahve to deal with it unless there a bios fix or something
    i read somewhere where you can change the uli chip and put in ati chip,not sure if true or if di mobo would loose it

4. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Only boards from what I have heard that work decent for Crossfire are where they didn't use the ULI southbridge, and those that also work for Crossfire, are Intel 955 chipset boards, and 975 chipset boards.

I had so much trouble with an X-Fi soundcard it wasn't even funny, and this included extreme slowdowns in C&C Generals when multiple units were on screen getting things done. This was on an X-Fi Xtreme Music card, needless to say I pulled that piece of junk out, removed all traces of Creative Software and put in my Montego DDL and haven't had no sound trouble since.

The ULI chip is pin compatible with the ATI chip, so in effect only the mobo manufacturers can remove the ULI chip and put the ATI chip back in to place.

I'm considering dumping AMD and building a Core 2 Duo system, in the Spring when I get some bills paid off.

5. kelticknight

at moment
    will not change cpu as have amd dual core and will wait till end of year
    all im looking for now is a xfire mobo in 939 that works

6. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I actually have my system working the way it should, so then again, I'll wait until 2008 or so. Come to think of it, I would have to blow $300.00 for a motherboard, $400.00 or more on a cpu, and who knows how much money on DDR2 memory for a Core 2 Duo system.

The suttering sound problem when using the ULI SATA drivers, only happens once in awhile, and yes I started using them, as they fixed a sudden reboot problem I got while Windows finished loading. I'm guessing some tweaking I did to WindowsXP, which included getting rid of a lot of junk from my last motherboard, and to the bios of my AT8 32X virtually eliminted the sound stuttering problem. I'm guessing there is some more tweaking and fine tuning WindowsXP that needs to be done before the sound stuttering is totally gone. Part of the problem also is turning out to be, Windows not installing the correct USB2 driver for the M1575 southbridge, which was easily fixed.

Yes, my AT8 32X has worked and performed great from day 1, and now I'm getting in to a little overclocking.

I'll be honest, between the A8R-MVP which uses the RD480(XPress 1600) chip, and the AT8 32X which uses the RD580(XPress 3200) chip, the AT8 32X is the better board. The AT8 32X is faster and more stable, than the ASUS board I had ever was, and ever will be.

I don't know how stable the A8R32-MVP is, nor do I know how stable the Sapphire AR9D580 is.

As for the A8R32-MVP, I don't know how stable it is.

7. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi kelticknight, actually I rather think that the majority do not have problems with this motherboard, as you should know, as the majority do not post when they don't, only those who do will post, this is what makes me the exception....

I've just done a rebuild of XP on this motherboard as I've now passed it onto my partner to use, and guess what, no issues still and with a TV card and either/or onboard sound or a audigy card.

Yes I'm lucky, but then I seem to be able to get motherboards that are meant to troublesome to work just fine, is that luck, I'm not so sure...
    ChrisC

8. kelticknight

hey chris
    your on overclockers
    question for you
    uli seem to be main prob with my dfi lanparty cfx3200 xfire ,have had error like other in event viewer and installed the uli sata controller wih no prob,just decided not to use ,use sil controller instead
    probs with dfi cfx3200,its picky on psu and ram
    have ram sorted and using thermaltake purepower 680 watt psu
    cant say it might be causing my probs and cant say it aint as others haveing simular probs with different setups
    had this prob where system wouldnt boot into windows first time,took second reboot,lasted 2 weeks and went weekend gone,did something never did before like reboot for no reason,only didi once in 4 days
    also find windows abit slugish if you leave idle for period of time and come back to use ,some times it happens if using a good while and gets abit sluggish
    have done alot of systems and these xfire mobos in 939 are worst i have come across
    the cfx3200 and asus a8r32mvp probly would have been would have been the best ever they could be without the uli chip
    some even in cfx3200 had no issues,some didnt get for 4-6 months later,some never till there next upgrade
    the ones that keep there setup the longiest will be the true users as some it takes awhile to show or never
    only probs i had where getting windows on formatted either sata or ide hardrive,got that sorted,didnt install drivers and sata controllers like manfactures said too as didnt work for most ,let windows install its ali drivers and i installed new uli drivers off nvidia site and installed and got no errors yet [touch wood]
    i guess for now will keep what i hav as this asus xfire isnt on any online wedsites in euro zone,will hold out till next amd cpu new socket comes out later this year

9. pepedad2004@comcast.net

[email protected] New Member

Okay, I'm about ready to throw out my A8R32-MVP and my 2 x1600 cards! I can not get the system to be stable with both x1600's installed. Sometimes it boots up and works for a little while and sometimes it just freezes before it even boots all the way up! I swapped the cards around to make sure the cards are okay and as long as I'm using only one of them it works fine. Here's my config, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name STEVEN-O375NTRO
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2204 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2205 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0602, 8/22/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2765 (xpsp.050928-1517)"
    User Name STEVEN-O375NTRO\Steve
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.23 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have a pair of 36GB raptors configured for raid also

10. kelticknight

wasgoing to get this mobo to replace my dfi cfx3200 crossfire mobo,looks likes more probs here as well
    dont think theres a good working crossfire mobo in 939 socket
    qwell
    till next crossfire mobo at end of year

11. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Don't know what to say, but my AT8 32X has been working great and in Crossfire for months. From what I'm seeing here, I'm glad I didn't get the A8R32-MVP.

12. kelticknight

would have got abit mobo in xfire only it had only 1 standard pci slot,need 2
    have a dfi cfx3200 and its a pain
    looking at asus,not sure will i bother with it or not
    sapphire out too as its only got one standard pci slot also
    so my options are very limited

13. Bar81

Bar81 New Member

What do you need the two PCI slots for?

14. kelticknight

one for sound and other for pci card used for equipment for work

15. kelticknight

cant get abit or sapphire crossfire mobos any ways,only see the asus a8r32-mvp

16. boecke

boecke New Member

I have a problem with my cards in CrossFire Mode.

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1950 CrossFire Edition as Master (Primary Slot)
    PowerColor ATI Radeon X1950 XT as Slave (Secondary Slot)
    ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    ZALMAN ZM600-HP CrossFire Certified PSU
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    ATI Catalyst 6.9 - 7.1

Whenever I enter any game in Fullscreen Mode it will crash and reboot my system.
    I take it other people have experienced this problem aswell, how did they fix it?

Thanks alot.

17. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

That is not a good thing, while i've never experience a full on system crash/reboot while loading a full screen game in crossfire mode, i've only saw odd anomolies. However a PSU related issue could be a problem that would do a similare thing. But it's rated crossfire..so..... hmmm.

Have you updated to the latest bios, 602 is currently the latest.

Have you ran each card seperately to see if they both run without issues?

18. boecke

boecke New Member

Yes, I know that both of them run correctly without issues.
    I have the latest BIOS aswell, I have tried a system format and re-install but nothing.

Still the same problem with every single game.

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I'd need to get my hands on another X1950 to check out Crossfire on my own system. Otherwise, the system is working great with just the one card.

20. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

just curious but have you tried testing with different RAM, I was getting system reboots in Crossfire mode and it ended up being a RAM issue