Asus gtx 970?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Finkazoid, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Finkazoid

Finkazoid New Member

Could anyone tell me if asus do or did make a gtx 970 mg 1gb version.
    I have someone selling one...supposedly gpu tested and comes up as a gtx 970 but only a 1gb version....can't find any info on it.

Attached Files:

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I have no idea why anyone would fake a GTX 970 and write that it has 1GB of memory, but it looks like that's the case. A 1GB 970, by any maker, is unheard of. Additionally, combining a powerful and expensive GPU and a custom cooler with a crippling amount of RAM makes no sense. On top of it all, stock photos of ASUS GTX 970s with Direct CU II don't look like the first photo.

EDIT: ASUS cards with Direct CU II cooling have DC2 in their designations.

3. Finkazoid

Finkazoid New Member

Yeah...seems very odd...he says he tested it on CPU-z and it confirmed the specs...but no screen cap of that.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Honestly, I wouldn't even trust a GPU-Z screenshot. And I probably wouldn't want a 1GB GTX 970, unless it were free. Xbox One and PS4 have lots of RAM and higher end games are becoming unplayable on 1GB cards. Such card would be a waste of a perfectly good GPU.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's also not possible to make a nvidia 970 with 1gb.... there would need to be so many portions of the gpu disabled to make it work with the 1/4 of vram it was designed for... this is why the 960 exists and why it's such a smaller unit. Packing that amount of performance with so little vram would be 100% idiotic.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Seeing as how you have the serial number in the picture (the D9xxxx) you could always contact Asus, give them that number, and they can tell you what card it belongs to.

If I had to guess though, this is in fact an AMD card which has had it's sticker altered.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015