ASUS M4N68TM-LE V2 not booting

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SonOfDita, Jun 15, 2019.

1. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

So I have this mobo and wanted to update its BIOS. I read the ASUS' website on how to do it and they recommended a Software utility they offer for Windows. I did it with it and in the middle of the process it just said something like "Unable to write EPPROM memory" and after like 20 seconds or so the PC showed a BSOD and never came back to life.

I was wondering how to solve that, if it has any solution.
    I've already tried with replacing PSU, RAM, CPU, BIOS battery, clearing CMOS and none of that worked. I've read that reprogramming the BIOS could solve the problem but I want to be really sure before doing anything else to the pc.

I'll leave my specs just in case they are needed:
    Mobo: ASUS M4N68TM-LE V2
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 210
    RAM: 1xMarkvision 1333Mhz 2gb/1xKingston 1333MHz 4gb

Any help would be appreciated, honestly.
    Sorry to not post any screenshot, the PC shut down really quickly so I wasn't able to do screenshots.

Thanks again if you can help me.

Sent from my Redmi 6 using Tapatalk

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

It looks like your BIOS update botched.

You're going to have to do another BIOS update which will be successful this time, however I am not sure how, you'll have to read the website for your motherboard and take it from there. Try and find a solution which involves using a flash drive.

SonOfDita likes this.
  3. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

I've already tried with the ASUS crashfree BIOS and that uses a flash drive. However, the MOBO doesn't even POST so it won't run the utility. Do you think that reprogramming the BIOS will do the trick?

4. Calliers

Well you can't just "reprogram" the BIOS or I think you're trying to say reset it? It's easier said than done.

I'll leave this for someone with more knowledge than I to come in and explain stuff, hopefully they'll know what to do.

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Rule Number one with bios updates is.. (I have been there) Is "Never Flash the Bios" unless you have to IE: to accept a New CPU or memory set...

Luckily my bad bios update left it as a Black Screen but I had the Beep Codes to indicate what were the cause. In my case it would not accept the Graphics card I were using at the time..

So does your motherboard give out any Beep codes, if it does look up either in the manual or online to see what the code relates to...

If it is blank with no beeps then im not sure how you can get it back online..

SonOfDita likes this.
  6. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

Sadly no beep codes nor video, it just the CPU fan going on. And you can leave it there forever, it won't do nothing. Do you think is dead then?

7. Calliers

What has happened is your BIOS is corrupted.

I recommend just taking it to a computer repair shop and having them fix it for you, in future leave the BIOS alone, even experienced PC users are afraid of flashing the BIOS. Because if it fails, you're in deep doo doo.

8. MIG-31

Im not going to say it is dead. But I am fairly sure you may of killed the board for going through this option as you said in the quote.. If a Bios Flash is much needed it is better to be done via the Bios Options via a Flash Drive. And not through a windows app or utility.

but when I done a quick google on your motherboard the bios listed were not that new.. And did not offer anything New..

It could be worth contacting ASUS support to see if they can offer any help.. Might be able to send out a new Bios chip (If it is removable that is)

9. Calliers

I'm with MIG on this one. If the BIOS is working fine and there are no new features you need then it is perfectly ok to leave it the way it is. Just for future, remember this. :)

SonOfDita likes this.
  10. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

Yes. I guess I learnt my lesson from this. I'll see what I can do with ASUS support

11. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

Well I tried to update the BIOS because it was giving wrong temperatures readings and I thought that by updating it was going to get solved. Next time I won't by any means, haha.
    Thank you really much for answering

12. Calliers

Hmmmm, if the temperatures were strange your first move should have been to see if they were actually real (I'm guessing they were on the higher side) and see what would be the cause, whether a fan has stopped working or whatever the case may be. Usually more often than not the temperature sensors are working fine and your case temps are actually on the higher side. It looks like your rig may have more problems than just the BIOS being corrupted right now. Like I said, take the machine to a computer repair shop, it could save you extra money, you don't want to break anything else and have to pay to replace parts in the end having this whole kerfuffle cost you more than it actually should.

13. SonOfDita

SonOfDita New Member

Well, the temperatures were on the looow side, like 8C or so, something not even possible (my ambient temperature here is around 24-30c) so that's not possible at all, I use the stock fan.

I took it to a repair shop and the dude said that the chipset (the northbridge and stuff) were on short circuit. Then I took it to another one to have a different opinion. This other shop said that the mobo was just fine, that its only problem is the BIOS corruption. That's why I ended up asking here. I trust more the internet than the repair shops in my country.

14. Calliers

There are some people on here like @Tipstaff and @Judas who are really good at this type of thing, like MIG said, give them some time to come check this thread out. I just hope you haven't bricked your motherboard.

15. MIG-31

A little offtopic.

Sorry I have not said that in this thread... But I did start it off then I got distracted..

If it is Grey shaded (At least on the theme I use) it is not an active post. ;) (Only staff sees this) :oops:

Other than that it means nothing to the opening poster..

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Calliers likes this.
  16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

According to the asus manual regarding the board, it has crashfree bios recovery. You need to download the latest bios, slap it on a blank dvd/cd or USB that is formated FAT32.... dump the bios file on the media and change the name before burning or before removing the flash drive, as the bios needs to be named M4N68TMV2.ROM .... then simply plug it into the system and attempt to recover, you may need to do it blindly however, to which you may want to do a little googling.

If you cannot recover in this manner, the bios chip could have failed, or is heavily corrupted and would need to be swapped.

Alternatively if a failure to write occurs, usually the bios wasn't errased or modified, due to write protection being enabled (usually in the bios). At which point i'd unplug power, pull the cmos battery and let it sit over night to force a complete reset (granted waiting over night is overkill but hey why not)... then plug the cmos battery back in, slap the power to it and cross your fingers.