ATI 4870 X2 (R700) GFX Review @ DriverHeaven

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

this is definitely nice news.

while i would greatly desire one.... i've told myself i'm not getting another vidy till a dual core gpu arrives.

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Jesus christ that's one hell of a powerful card, how much are the 280's compared to it?

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

280 cards are aound $450 in us.- meaning you can buy them for cheaper & pay more but that seesm to be average;)

4. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

I would never buy one even if I had the economy for it, I think. All these X2 cards feels a little like the concept behind S.L.I or Crossfire.

It's just too much for my taste.

I actually went down in power requirements when I changed my Radeon9800XT to an nVidia Geforce7800GS in february last year. Lower power consumption and fast graphic cards is what interests me.

5. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

It is ATIs best card since the 1950, the problem is, and its a big problem.

The power drain and heat output. If you bought one of these cards you really couldnt leave the system on 24/7 (or even close), it would heat up a room and cost a small fortune on electric. Its a pure gaming card for people with 24 or 30 inch screens.

Regardless of the ATI quote I read in the review, I fail to see how running at 90c+ all the time when gaming is good for anything, even the motherboard which will be dealing with huge amounts of radiated heat on the PCIE slot.

I was almost tempted when I saw the benchmarks until I got to the temperature pages . Also the power drain of one of these in a high end enthusiast system is meant to be over 700w.

6. humonous

humonous New Member

Do you not think these might have high fail rates?

7. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

We might be seeing a repeat of the Nvidia mobile core failures which cost them 200 million+.

I was thinking about it, veridian3 im sure was in controlled conditions as an expert reviewer and he was seeing mid 90c, right? im guessing UK temps in the room were 25-28c.

Lets mix up some variables.

Warm climate say 30-35c ambient? average enthusiast case with no side panel and fan? (even a weak fan).

Id say well over 100c is possible. No way on earth a fan and exhaust system will expell all that heat out the rear of the case. so it will rise over cpu and memory area. Possible 10c more in that area too.

I have a horrible feeling we might be seeing massive threads on forums like driverheaven in a few months with cards overheating, dying, rmas etc.

I mean look at the thread on DriverHeaven right now about the Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error 164,000+ views on that alone. this additional heat and misc problems might end up costing them millions in RMAs.

Real shame too as the card really does kick some serious ass.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Hard to come to a conclusion about this really. ATI have assured me personally that the cards are capable of dealing with this heat perfectly fine.

I have reservations myself, however my best advice would be if you are contemplating one of these in a system make sure you have great airflow and a good side panel fan. 120mm's are always recommended for max cfm with minimum noise.

The card really is the best thing out there right now, I just hope it all goes well for ATI/AMD because the market really does need competition to stay competitive for the consumers. Just look how far nvidia have dropped prices recently, thats a very good thing

I have a 220mm fan in the side panel of my system over the 4870 X2 now, and temps are around 74c load. Of course these dont fit many cases, but it could end up a good modding project for people. Many cases now have mesh panels so they are easy to cut.

These fans make good partners if you want to ensure good side airflow over the card. Akasa AK-F2230SM-CB 220mm Silent Case Fan - 4 Pin added benefit of a fan of this size is great airflow over a wide physical area with virtually no noise at all.

9. HardwareHeaven

10. EfrainMan

EfrainMan Active Member

On your Lost Planet benchies, are you sure you got everything to max? A few settings have an extra level above High called DX10, and from the settings screenshot it seems they're not turned on. The DX10 fur alone is worth it :drool:

Edit: Never mind, I see you have the fur, so you probably have the rest.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  11. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

12. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Hi, yes... all DX10 was enabled from running the EXE to the fur and shadows.

13. sammorris

sammorris New Member

While it certainly hasn't stopped me from buying one, ATI are not reassuring people with science with the 'they work above 100 celsius, they'll work fine' comments, they're lying to the consumer and that's going to cost them big soon. I know several people who own 4850s already and a fair few of them get lockups routinely at 94ºC, they don't have as well ventilated cases as perhaps they should, but that's not much of a margin for error. Clearly the 4870X2 has higher tolerances as it made it through DH's benches at 96, but how much higher? I'm going to raise the fan speeds for the card as soon as I get it in Catalyst, eventually once I stomach the courage, get a third party cooler for it, because the high temps are just too risky. I noticed this with my HD3870 as well, it locked up short of 86ºC, had to manually force the fan speed to 45% in games, and to 75% in crossfire (weird, in CF it locked up at 59ºC)

The high prices in the UK are because OcUK have exclusive rights to the first sales batch. Pre-orders from sites like ebuyer are priced at £345 inc. VAT and some other stores that don't yet have stock are posting it for as little as £309 - unless you desperately want one now, wait for the next batch to arrive elsewhere, else you're feeding this situation and it will only get worse.

14. HardwareHeaven

Unfortunately Sam, right now there are no options for raising fan speeds, its completely out of user control. Hopefully ATI add that option, but im guessing a 3rd party forthcoming cooler would be the wisest option. Well until one of the companies like Sapphire bring out an ultimate edition with beefed up cooler. My only concern with adding a third party cooler is, technically as far as I know it voids your warranty.

It also amazes me that they dont use 100-120mm fans on these things, sure they would "stick out" a bit more, but they have much more room for higher CFM while keeping noise lower. If it cost the consumer 10-15 more I think most people would be happy to pay it. Maybe I am wrong though.

15. EfrainMan

EfrainMan Active Member

Kewl.

Couldn't resist. Bought one. Should be here tomorrow if I'm supah rucky.

16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i remember i used to force my 3870's fan speeds to 100% by modifying some INF in the CCC profiles, cant something like that work in this case as well?

in that same INF, i could force clock speeds, voltages and all settings for the 2D annd 3D performance. used to mess around ini there when i used to OC and it was incredibly stable as long as i cooled it on max... ever notiice anything like that?

17. Spyre

Spyre New Member

@ kris23

At the moment the same modification doesnt do anything in the 4870X2's case (and from what I remember it doesn't work for 3870X2 cards either) that mod however does work for 4850 and 4870 single cards and cards in Crossfire just not X2s (I think because its one card with its own unique fan control which the CCC's profile cant handle.

Its being investigated by AMD/ATI thats about all I can say at the moment.

18. HardwareHeaven

Nice one, where did you buy it from and which manufacturer? what kind of chassis have you?

19. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Hey Z, i've seen these on CCLonline.com and they're £299 o.0

20. HardwareHeaven

Ok a contact in AMD told me its the exact same size as a 3870 X2. I am fairly positive the coolers would be transferable, but I dont have a 3870X2 handy anymore.