ATI 4870 X2 (R700) GFX Review @ DriverHeaven

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Really? cheapest I saw on there earlier was £370 inc VAT. got a link for our members?

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

nothin really to see there.....

314 ex VAT and 370 inc VAT....

3. HardwareHeaven

Yeah ive hunted for loweest prices UK today Kris, best I have seen in stock was about £370.

Tekheads had one for £350 Tekheads.co.uk but they sold out in minutes.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

everyone is jumping on these 4870X2s...... i wish i could.... but oh well,

ill just deal with things as i go, kinda funny that my computer is rapidly becoming the epicenter of this house.... i already control the TVs and internet from here....

5. HardwareHeaven

I think ATI lovers have been waiting a long time for this video card. Still im surprised how well they are selling over here.

If you have the money, id treat yourself KRIS. we all need a toy now and again to make life a little easier, right? ;)

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Was he talking about outside dimentions, or the actual component layout. That would make a difference. There are places on the Koolance block for the 3870 X2 (and the stock one as well) where you need thermal pads of 2 different thicknesses to make sure you have contact on certain components to make sure they are cooled.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. HardwareHeaven

I will ask my buddy Spyre if he can help you with this. he has both of the cards for beta testing.

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

well even though im upgrading soon, the money isnt mine and it aint right to spend it on something like this...

if it turns out that i need one in order to run more monitors for this whole thing then yea sure, but until then.... ill be running on a 3870 :D

im always broke so things dont work out well all that much..... could use the job as DH reviewer though.... that spot still open? ill figure out something to review soon enough. :p

9. HardwareHeaven

we are currently looking for skilled reviewers yes to join the team. some part time some full time. best keeping that to PM though or email rather than this thread if you want to give it a shot bud.

10. H82LUZ

H82LUZ New Member

Awesome review Zardon and Spyre.too bad i bought a second 4870 for crossfirex ;);)yesterday.I`m happy though ,ATi needed this.;)

11. OldBuzzard

Dang, just looked at the Koolance site, and they are announcing that a 4870 X2 block is coming soon. And, of course, it's $10.00 more than the one for the 3870 X2 :mad: Oh well, at least it's 139.99 as opposed to 169.99 for the 9800 GX2 cards.

Anyone want to buy a used 3870 X2 w/Koolance waterblock?

Owned by "a little old man", and only driven in the skys of WWII in IL2 3 nights a week :D:D:D

12. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Well I didnt review it but I dont mind helping out where I can.

Anyway the card has the same physical dimensions and same layout with the same mounting holes. The GPU's are in the same places. Only a few components have changed the resistors near the PCIe power sockets are bigger since it draws more power than a 3870X2 but thats about it. The backplate that mounts the heatsink is slightly different but that shouldnt matter from what I can see. Obviously you would need to enusre the ram and the VRM's have decent cooling I would say for any water cooling setup or 3rd party cooling setup as that can be a source of issues otherwise.

13. OldBuzzard

VERRRRYYYY interesting!

Backplate wouldn't be a problem as the Koolance block only cools the front side, and you use the original backplate and the two "X" springs on the back side to make sure you have pressure on the GPUs.

It would be really interesting to see pics of the 'business sides' of both HSFs. If the only difference in the HSFs is that one has 2 copper HSs and the other has 1 alum, and 1 copper, then I would be "In like Flynn". :D

14. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

A great review. Well and truly DUGG!!

It's great to see AMD (ATI) giving NVidia not only run for their money but indeed dish out a good whipping. Welcome back ATI! As far as prices are concerned, I think it is reasonable and on a par with any other high performance gfx card that has come out previously and prices will surely drop a bit in the next few months or so.

15. Spyre

Spyre New Member

@ OldBuzzard

Sorry but I have no plans to take appart my 4870X2, I can tell you it has a copper base though for both heatsinks.

16. OldBuzzard

Nor, would I expect you to. :D

Now, IF there 'just happened' to be a spare 4870 X2 laying around gathering dust, and nobody knew what to do with it...I guess I could, with much arm twisting, be persuaded to take it apart, and see if the Koolance WB would fit it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rofl:

17. EfrainMan

EfrainMan Active Member

I got the Sapphire one on ebay. Used a link that gave me 25% cash back on any "buy it now" on ebay from microsoft. Gonna get $138 cash back :D And I'm using a gigabyte 3D mars for case. Plenty o' room.

18. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

19. H82LUZ

H82LUZ New Member

Is this the company that Helped Diamond with the XOC Black Edition cards ??

I could have swore I read it somewhere that they would come with waterblock cooled Blacks.

20. HardwareHeaven