ATI 4870 X2 (R700) GFX Review @ DriverHeaven

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

also does crossfire X with 4 individual cards work well in skulltrail?

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yes, its in the pipeline :) dont have a date though.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

nice.... always love a good article. :)

4. HardwareHeaven

Yes, works great too. (if you mean 2x 4870 X2's (which is 4x4870))

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

no, 4 individual cards like 4850s or 4870s..... since the board has 4 PCI-E slots

6. HardwareHeaven

I dont have four of them to test...... seems pretty pointless getting them either as 2 of the 4870 X2s are basically the same thing, just more practical. 4850 X2 is probably forthcoming shortly ;)

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i wonder how good that one is.... probably is the gap filler between the 4870 and 4870 X2

8. EfrainMan

EfrainMan Active Member

Zardon, I hope you know I (and possibly others) hate your guts :D

:tears:

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't follow the SLI/Crossfire thing very much, but if I remember correctly when crossfire first appeared it was only capable of increasing performance of games that supported it, where SLI could theoreticaly work with all games. Or was it the other way? My question is, if I remember correctly, has this changed over the years? Or it has only changed because more games come out with support for this?

10. HardwareHeaven

They both require driver support (profiles) to correctly work with titles.

11. HardwareHeaven

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Oh, even worse then lol :p
    Thank you.

13. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Those are some incredible figures. Sad though, because of all the hoo-hah, I'd only really use SLI on a Skulltrail board, which I plainly would never be able to afford... hehe.
    I'll be plain about this though, my realworld testing hasn't found much one HD4870 can't do at 2560x1600, let alone four of them. Amazingly, if you're rich enough, I'd say you now have the position to be ahead of the game with GPUs...

14. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Ok, I have my 4870X2, it works. However, it re-introduces the old DirectDraw glitch again. Not sure whether that's just a bug I've had on this boot, but if it carries on, I'm going to need the 4870 in a separate PC, or just not to use the 4870X2, as it wasn't present with the single card.
    Noise levels are, amazingly, down from the 4870 for the most part, and the card doesn't get that much hotter, it hasn't overheated yet, and I've gamed quite extensively with it. Performance is variable as it always is with crossfire, though seemingly, where it matters, it works. So far, anyway.

15. HardwareHeaven

What do you mean by the "DirectDraw glitch" Sam? is it like stuttering or something?

16. sammorris

sammorris New Member

No, it doesn't open, says DirectX is not installed.
    However, it only happened once - and unlike with the 3870, where I found it almost impossible to get rid of, I have been unable to reproduce it.
    I have also finally found out how to disable CF, it's now done by disabling Catalyst AI, rather than being labelled as specifically disabling crossfire, which is a little odd, but it works, Warcraft now runs and doesn't lag horribly (like it does with CF enabled), but when I enable Catalyst AI again, I get my 50% performance boosts. At the moment I'm thinking it's only 50% due to my CPU, we are talking reliably above 50-60fps in every game here, except for Crysis, and even that is managing continuously playable settings on all High, 2560x1600, so it's done pretty well. What's probably made up for the pain and torture of actually trying to install the card is the fact that the overheating issues just don't seem to exist - very pleased about that, haven't even had to touch the fan speed, and it isn't even that loud...

17. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Contrary to HardOCP's findings, Age of Conan doesn't work with crossfire - worse still, the same performance decreases fromm the 3870 still exist when crossfire isn't supported - all the benchmarks I've seen suggested this was no longer the case - just goes to show you can't always take everything from benchmarks as granted... :(

18. HardwareHeaven

I was told it does have a crossfire profile, which OS are you using?

19. sammorris

sammorris New Member

XP.
    I've even renamed the exe and CF still doesn't work. 21fps with it disabled, 17fps with. (2560x1600, 4xAA - should be expecting c. 35)
    Second GPU at 0% in GPUZ no matter what settings I use...

Sigh, crossfire has now bugged to the extent it won't function again until I reboot. All the issues I had with 3870CF still exist by the looks of things. This card is proving such a pain in the arse to own and use I might not keep it, it's just too difficult to keep working.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  20. macbiter

macbiter New Member

What you need to do is not listen to the many "news" site online and ditch XP. get Vista installed and im positive your experience will improve dramatically. I know from other forums and reading ATI updates that XP is not high on their list of priorities anymore.

I know a guy on another forum I visit was having the same issues as you with the X2 and he reluctantly installed Vista 64bit, he says the card is performing much better.

Part of your problem here is you are running an OS that is no longer high on the list of priority for many companies.