ATI 4870 X2 (R700) GFX Review @ DriverHeaven

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris New Member

That's fair enough, I was genuinely considering that. I have another Raptor I can dig out to use with Vista, but with the 4870X2 installed I can only use 2 of my 6 S-ATA ports, which are filled currently. Additionally since I have no usable PCI slots either, I will need to buy a PCIe S-ATA card...
    I've been putting off Vista based on the fact that as an OS itself it seems like a hog. Hopefully with a Q6600 that will change. At the moment I think I may wait until a CPU upgrade before I switch to Vista, because based on the tests I've carried out I know that will help my scores. I posted the following update very late (or should I say early? hehe) this morning which puts the X2 in a far more favourable light - I just seemed to bug the driver by alt-tabbing multiple games several times, and having a game crash on me as well (Age of Conan) which always caused issues.

"Update: post reboot, Crysis now averages 25fps maxed out at 2560x1600 versus the 21-22 I made earlier, and 18 I made with the solo card. Notably, I also get 25fps at 1920x1200 - looks like the CPU ceiling is lower than I thought.
    Got GRiD working at 60fps rather than 25, but there's horrific microstutter, I'm guessing that's the problem mentioned in reviews.

Update 2: FEAR does work with crossfire, and was working before. I just so happened to have reached a point of the game that ran worse than the others. Frames are solidly 60+, typically 95-180. :) I think I was too hasty calling this card out perhaps. Bugs were annoying, but I think they were created by running older games...

Update 3: Age of Conan is now working better, minor frame rate improvement, 23-25 from 19-21, but noticeable, but the textures are coming out in low quality (a bug I've always had with AoC) more often than usual. Fortunately, the crippling lag spikes seem far, far fewer than before. Adding to that, I get the same frame rate at 1920 as I do at 2560. Another CPU bottleneck? Suddenly I want that Quad core far more..."

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

How much noise does it make under load and idle? I had a very good radeon X1800XT (sapphire) and while the card was great the noise from the fan was horrific.

3. sammorris

sammorris New Member

HD4870X2:

Idle: inaudible in anything other than all other fans & hard disks off, less than 20dB.
    Load: varies. In single-GPU mode, reasonable hiss, nothing severe, around 28-30dB. In dual-GPU mode when they're working 100%, more hiss with an additional low-frequency background hum, I'd say about the same noise as a 1600-1800rpm 120mm fan, if you will, around 35dB. It's not pretty, but it's not excessive and it doesn't have any of the harsh grinding tones the old X1800 and X1900 coolers had, so it will blend into the background far more.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. sammorris

sammorris New Member

For what it's worth, Age of Conan does work in CF, I just didn't see it because I had a dual core CPU. After getting a Quad my fps has doubled. :)

5. Trusteft

Thank you. Great news.

6. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Further to this, there seems very little Crossfire is actually a problem in, whether it scales or not (and seemingly it does more often than it doesn't). The only real examples are very old titles, 2003 or earlier. Anything modern, if unsupported, just plays at the normal frame rate of the 4870, not half like it used to be.
    Works:
    Half Life 2: Episode Two
    Team Fortress 2
    Crysis
    FEAR
    Age of Cinan

Kind-of works:
    Counter-Strike Source (the frame rate increases very little, but it does increase, and anyway, who cares? You're already making 150fps!)
    GRiD (Scales, but microstutter)

Doesn't work:
    Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
    Warcraft 3

Yet to test:
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    World in Conflict
    Bioshock
    Locomotion
    Trackmania Nations Forever
    STALKER

7. Trusteft

sammorris, when you are tlaking about cfire, do you mean you have two 4870x2 or to use both the gpus on the single card?

8. sammorris

sammorris New Member

I mean the two GPUs on the single card. (I disable CF by disabling Catalyst A.I. - works fine!)

Update to this, Bioshock is not supported in CF mode, neither is it very playable at 2560 res on the X2 - rather alarming, since Crysis is, even on fully high settings.

9. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Add to the list of unsupported games: Flatout:Ultimate carnage - also laggy when maxed out due to the lack of crossfire support. Mind you, that's with AA this time, which Bioshock doesn't support (even if you force it in the control panel). Still odd when you consider you can get 90fps in Half Life 2 Episode Two, a game which frankly looks better than either.