Attn OCZ Customers - Need Help? Post Here

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by RyderOCZ, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

lol i only just realised i'm now an OCZ Customer, cool :D

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

meh, it's ok. i'll just go out and buy me some corsair memory instead then. some DDR2 stuff rather than DDR3 because DDR2 is better at running 1:1 ratios

maybe.... :lol:

lol, congrats i guess?

3. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

You promised there would be 2 Tuesdays by now... I still have failed to see 2 Tuesdays.

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i never promised two tuesdays. i just had a preminission, and not all preminissions are always right.

5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

lmao.

6. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

That is for sure :D

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Question:

Recently the OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver thermal paste was turned into being a no longer available product... discontinued..

and in it's place, the new FREEZE thermal paste has arrived.

After using the product a few times, i've gotten another one thinking that i ended up with a bad tube or something. However i've now determined that it's just the way it is. The thermal paste is garbage, i'm not even sure how anyone even uses it properly. It performs extremely poorly, and trying to apply it is like working with rubber cement glue or an elastic band. it doesn't spread, it clumps, it doesn't "squish" it just remains as a lump, It's temperatures and "burn in" is just horrid. Any attempt at trying to make the crap work results in zero change in the results.

How did this stuff pass quality labs? Why was the Ultra 5+ discontinued when it was clearly a superior product?

And considering i ordered both tubes from 2 completely different places, i doubt it was just a bad shipment, specially when i get the general same attitude from other people that have tried to use it and it's no longer a moving product.

i mean after reading this a number of months ago (my gaud it's close to a year ago)... http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=536&pageid=7 ... i had a positive view on using this stuff..

Perhaps it has a excessively SHORT shelf life, but that would suggest that within a matter of less then a few months.... it goes bad..

8. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

Hi Judas,

This post is the first post I have had to address about the Freeze. It has excelled in many "shootouts" against other compounds for thermal transfer.
    I use it here on the test boards (which get changed out at least twice a week) and have no issues getting the paste to spread appropriately once I set the heatsink on the CPU. I come out with a similar pattern as AS5 when removing the heatsink.
    I also have tubes dating back at least 6 months.

9. Judas

Then a good tube of Freeze should have the general same application and "feel" or spreading application as the Ultra 5+?

This would mean that the tubes i've received are "bad" then?

Putting a dab of the stuff in the center of the CPU and then applying the heatsink with a bit of preasure doesn't work all that well with what i have as i stated above.

The more i look at it, the paste is actually identical consistancy of liquid paper, only it comes out stiffer, and then balls up in the same manner and feels like it's drying right before my eyes. This is wrong?

How does it fair under "freezing" conditions? Perhaps through shipment it becomes like this due to having frozen or fallen below -40*C?

Sorry i'm just trying to track down what is causing this, why it's doing so poorly, and my current tubes of Ultra 5+ are dwindling and i would have preferred to stick with it as it was in my testing, outperforming even Arctic Silver's own lineup.

10. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

-40C? Where do you live?

I will email the office about possible effects of freezing and I will stick one of my tubes in the freezer.

I have not seen anything like you are describing where the stuff is so "dry" that it won't spread effectively.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i was wondering the same thing myself. maybe judas keeps the tubes in a deep freezer with his coke syrup?- i heard he makes popsicles out of it.
    he has a point about the ultra-5 it was a good product. while i havent tried your new one(i tend to stick with ceramique), i firmally believe - if it aint broke dont fix it. :)

12. Judas

when shipments are being moved around.. specially when they are coming from vancouver or toronto.. they have to move nearly 2000 miles..... and i'm pretty sure your all aware that they aren't going to be sticking the trucks inside a room temperature building everynight and heating the shipping containers themselves to room temperature.

It only takes about 1/2 hour to an hour for the core of any product sitting in a truck driving through -40*C temperatures (excluding windchill which brings it the temperature down closer to that of -60 or even -80*C which has a direct effect on those products.

I mean just my trip from my supplier in saskatoon to my store, sitting in the back of a pickup, the products are cold.

So any product that gets to us, durring the winter season, is 100% fully frozen down to -20 through to -40 or lower... and if the products can't withstand those temperature, we've got a problem.

If i recall, the lowest most freezers even in the BIG ones get to is -12.5*C (if that) For full effect, you'd need to find a way to super cool it to -40 and keep it there for a good day and then try it to be remotely effective.

13. Judas

Well i'm all for scrapping something when the newer one has proven to not only be better in all aspects, but either similare or easier to use.

The real thing the scares me is that if there is indeed a chemical breakdown of the thermal paste when it freezes or Extreme freezes, how many peoples machines could be at risk even with it already applied? Some people pack there computers up and put them in the vehicle... either for repair, or to a lan party or who knows what.. just moving alone.... if the thermal paste breaks down under those temperatures, it could potentially lead to a risk damageing a cpu due to not properly conducting heat to the heatsinks.

14. mike2h

mike2h New Member

so you are saying that vancouver/toronto get to minus 40 degrees c? on a semi regular basis? or any basis for that matter? & that windchill effects something in a truck? lmao. you actually have to be exposed to the wind for windchill to have an effect....

15. Judas

actually no i didn't say that..

i said for a shipment to come from vancouver or toronto to the center of canada... has to go via rail (which is never now cause CN rails are rich bastards ripping everyone off which i won't get into now atm)..... or via truck

While vancouvers lowest temperatures are probably around the 10*C during the winter occasionally dropping down to the 0 mark or below.... and toronto do get EXTREMELY chilly at times as it's much further from the warm ocean air...

I didn't say wind chill had a direct effect on the product, i mentioned it as even a SHORT trip after a truck has been loaded with equipment that may have been a higher temperature then ambient room temperature will become extremely cold due to it much quicker then sitting there still.

This isn't complicated science...

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

so were u live it gets to minus forty c often?
    and u did say it had a direct effect-
    no its not complicated, but as usual u r making it that way.
    all that aside, putting a tube in a freezer( usually around 0deg) should show wether cold has an effect on it in 99.9% of circumstances.

17. Judas

sorry ment indirectly.. aka... if the outside temperature and windchill feezes and chills the outside walls of the van/truck hauling it... the inside will get cooler faster due to that.... it's like driving and putting your hand on the windshield... the faster you go.. the colder the glass gets and the chill is affecting the inside fo the car as well. This is why idling usually produces alot of heat and suddenly moving chills the rest of the car off both outside and inside suddenly requireing the heat to be turned up.

YES -20 to -40*C is a frequent occurance durring the winter... if not in excess of that at times..but that's a little rare...

Our climate averages a full 80*C change, from -40*C to +40*C (excluding humidex and windchill as factors that contribute)

18. Judas

any news?

19. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

I put it in the freezer for 3 days then let it thaw. The consistency has not changed, I still find it spreadable and it will evenly distribute itself on the CPU.

I can replace the paste, but I am really at a loss as to what is happening with the samples you have.

20. Judas

i'm going to try something else first...

but just a fyi, like i mentioned above, a freezer doesn't come anywhere near the freezing temperatures that we can experience here.

I'm going to wait a little while for the weather to get much warmer... it won't be to much longer before across canada, the temperatures will be above 5*C-15*C steady, and i'll order it again.

Obviously if you shipped me another replacement now, it's quite likely that i would just run into the same problem again if INDEED anything colder then -5 to -10*C results in the thermal paste becoming useless.