Audigy 2 ZS NB and Zalman 5.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeniusAction, Aug 7, 2008.

1. GeniusAction

GeniusAction New Member

I've bought this Headphones ZALMAN 5.1 ZM-RS6F

Here it is technical information:

::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

Please who can help me best setting KX DSP to use at maximum this headphone? (Specially for Gaming like Counter Strike Source)

There's also a way to use all channels without use KX Mixer? And as suggested it's better swap front with rear physical connections?

Who can point me how to create a DSP layout.....

P.S.
    I'm using SB0530 With latest kx driver 3544a
    Thanks in advance. Sorry If I've used wrong place for thread.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

The *easiest* way is to use default kX DSP - and set surrounder (preset) to "5.1 Direct Path"

There was a bug found in surrounder but Im not sure if it was fixed in versions of kX since then (some leakage from some channel to other channel IIRC)

Otherwise - simply - for surround games and 5.1 dvd playback - connect FXBuss FRONT out (used to be FXBuss 4/5, in V3544a is now FXBuss 2/3) to the physical output via some volume control (dont connect FXBus directly to Physical Outputs) corresponding to your headphones FRONT connection IE

FXBUS (front l/r) > Stereo Volume > Epilog FRONT ANLOG OUT
    and
    FXBUS (rear l/r) > Stereo Volume > EPILOG REAR ANALOG OUT
    and
    FXBUS (center/lfe) > Stereo Volume > EPILOG CENTER/LFE OUT

Old FXBuss Assignments (prior to kX V 3544a)
    Front L/R = FXBus 4/5
    Rear L/R = FXBus 6/7
    center / lfe = FXBus 8/9

New Assignments:
    Front = FXBus 2/3
    Rear = FXBus 4/5
    center / lfe = FXBus 6/7

All that is moot if you changed them in kX router - which btw, is where you can find this info out on your own.

I dont think the recommendation of swapping front <> rear is valid for newer cards - it used to be true with most SBLives that used a better CODEC for the rear compared to the front, but I imagine is not true for your card. So - to keep things simple - un-check that option in kX Mixer, and connect your headphones as they are labled (front to front etc..)

Also note - the kX mixer *is* still part of the scheme here too - the INS and OUTS page top row, becuase we have epilog loaded - will adjust the front/rear/center/lfe output levels. edit: if you absolutely want to avoid kX Mixer - use a ProFx:Kxlt in leu of epilog - and adjust volumes with the ST. Vol plugins instead. /edit

And dont forget to tweak them St. Vol's - they are at 0 by default.

hope that helps...

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The Surrounder bug should be fixed in newer versions of kX. The easiest config is to just use the default config, with Surrounder set to 5.1, and what ever surround mode you want.

4. GeniusAction

GeniusAction New Member

Wonderful community

Men thanks you a lots for precious information about setting manually the DSP. I've succeded in it, and I'm starting understanding it.
    Maddog6 and RUSS number 1 as always...

Maddog6 I've made the DSP config as you suggested everything is ok, point me out how to realize it better with some effects or EQ or whatever you think I need to get it better.

Russ thank you about BUG info (waiting for newest version to test)

P.S.
    THANKS!

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

the audio professionals will agree that 'the best audio' is the least processed.

But if your headphones have some EQ deficiencies - feel free to add some EQ. You can replace the St. Vol with a number of EQ's available - I like Max M.'s P series EQ's

Additionally - if you want to use compression, so that, quiet sounds are amplified, while 'limiting' the louder sounds - maybe useful fo gaming (maybe not ??), Dynamics processor is quite powerful, but could be a bit of a DSP resource hog using 3 (one for each pair of outputs, tho, maybe one for center/lfe isnt a good idea being independent and stereo compressors typically have settings for both L and R) of them and EQ's.. ?? I dunno - you would have to try to see if they can all load or not. Honestly it is probably most useful if using Game VOIP (talking with other team mates) and connected to the mic with a noise gate.

The best way to learn how, why and when to use those plugins is to google them, and play with them to 'hear' what is described in what you read.
    IMHO - for surround gaming and DVD - clean, un-processed is best.

Russ gets the first place here - he is far more knowledgeable and helpful here than I can dream of being.
    But I am glad I could help.