Audigy problem?!?!?? Please help...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ajm786, May 29, 2002.

1. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

I like this forum. Glad I found it.

Anyway, here is my problem.

I've been toying with my P4T533-C, and it is very fast. But there are a few quirks I am having.

Firstly, the system is a bit, and when I say bit, I mean it, A BIT unstable. Not in WinXP Pro, but in Win98. When I playing Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam, the sound is a bit crackly/poppy (slightly) and it sometimes crashes.

I am running the processor at 2138, at 133/33. RDRAM is at 4x.

Also, I would like to know. What slots should I arrange my PCI cards in? I am using them in the same config that I was using in my old P4T-E.

Another issue that I am having is in WinXP, the Audigy card does not work properly with the USB 2.0 enabled. Any of the essential Creative apps (i.e. Playcenter, Surround Mixer) function very very slowly, unless I disable the USB 2.0. Does this have to do with the slot my Audigy card is in?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    My specs are in my sig.

2. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Hmm I know that the SB cards are having that crackling issue

what drivers are you using and what all is in your setup?

3. Impulse

Impulse l33t

It could be the drivers or you have to get George E. Breese's PCI Latency patch that solves Creative based Soundcards running in VIA based chipsets...

4. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

the PCI latency can be changed in BIOS (at least on my ASUS board, CUV4X w/ VIA chipset) and that doesnt help btw.

the new drivers from the compaq website function better than creative's originals, more stable, better sound qual and less crackling, but the crackling is still there.

5. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

Ya I notice a bit of cracking as well, dam creative!

[Edit] I'm using the Via Lat Patch [/Edit]

6. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

i'd say it's an issue with VIA boards, intel boards dont have that problem, not sure about sis or ali tho

it could also be a driver issue, who the hell knows with creative

7. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

btw DaSnipe, im getting a system EXACTLY like urs within a couple weeks, and it will cost me virtually nothing ;)

8. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

lol, it cost me nothing either, got it as a gift, I'm gonna put more cash into it this summer with my summer job tho, hehehe.

How Exactly, down to the monitor, lol

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Card placement is a huge concern. First off are you running any AMR devices? You shouldn't place any card below your AGP slot, and if you are using an AMR device don't put anything next to it either. Sounds to me the whole issue for you is your having IRQ conflicts, it does make sense since it gets funky in Win98se. I would advise you to check your IRQ's and see what is sharing with what. I'll also bet USB 2.0 and your Firewire port on the card are duking it out when USB is enabled. How are your cards arranged?, and give a listing of your IRQ's too.

10. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I have to reiterate that I do not have a VIA chipset based motherboard. ;)

Now, here is what I have. My AGP card, is, of course, in the AGP slot. The PCI slot right below my AGP card is vacant. The 2nd PCI has my NIC card, the 3rd my SCSI, the 4th the Audigy, and the 5th my TV tuner. Same as the order that I listed in my sig.

Now I've tried disabling SB1394 on the Audigy. It had no effect. I also tried moving the Audigy to a different PCI slot; no difference. When I disable USB 2.0, all the problems disappear, and everything works like a charm.

In my IRQ list, I have 23 or 25 IRQs, because my motherboard has the APIC function. With this function on, my sound card is not sharing any IRQs. It has one all to itself.

Any more suggestions??? :(

11. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

You may have to go as far as a fresh installation of Windows. However, since Creative makes crap drivers for their cards, you may not experience any luck with your card. Worse comes to worse, try to RMA it or return it and buy a Santa Cruz or a Philip's card.

12. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Re:

I see that you are overclocked

Have you tried stepping down your FSB or even changing your PCI divider?

I know that USB 2.0 is especially sensitive to having the PCI bus overclocked without a proper divider being used

13. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

Crash did you read that in the Creative Newsgroups? Now that I read that I think I have also heard that somewhere. I'm just not sure where!!

14. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

So I obtained the Compaq drivers. I must say, they are superb drivers. The fix all the stability issues, but the main problem remains.

Playcenter, and now Sound Recorder is VERY VERY SLOW. The Balance/Fader knob is SLOW too.

Any suggestions?