Auto reboot Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

1. Crystal Disk Info doesn't even show the drive.

2. Hard Disk Sentinel shows the drive, has Health as unknown. Performance as Excellent. It has a Temperature tab which shows temperature for the drive! 35C. Max and average. Of course I don't know if it is real or not.

3. I found online someone else (two actually) having the same issue with similar Adata nvme drives. Now this guy doesn't use Windows 8.1 but I assume it might be the same problem.

and I quote:
    If this is indeed the issue, not some bug, this is obviously the first and last time I buy anything Adata related. Not sure if I am going to return the drive or not.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'd say then, that you're likely to just take your chances but at the first sign of issues, i'd send it back. The choice is of course yours.

Samsung's drive's sensor work fine in any of the systems i've setup, i'd say one of the reasons that drive costs far less is probably due to that being a contributing factor among others.

Also keep in mind.... almost everything i've been dealing with is no longer officially supported on windows 8.x let alone 7. It's "use as is" and although i can often get windows 7 or 10 drivers and software to install on 8.x, plenty of it's functionality tends to end up broken now.

Sticking with windows 7 or 8.x is only going to get more miserable as time goes on.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

I don't like what you are saying, but I agree.

4. Trusteft

Fuck. I am going to install Windows 10.
    Well, I am going to try one of those cheap keys shops as to the very least save some face that way.

5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

You can still get your free upgrade... it's just not promoted... google it

QB

6. Trusteft

I don't think I Can upgrade for free to W10 Pro.

7. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

8. Trusteft

1. I was under the impression I had Windows 8.1 Home installed, thus I was a bit purplexed when you gave me this link when I clearly told you I want to get W10Pro which you cannot get from Home version.
    2. Funnily enough I was mistaken about one thing, this version is 8.1 PRO which I bought on disc years ago. So if the upgrade procedure works, I could still do it.
    3. Thank you for being stubborn and ignoring when I said I don't want to upgrade because I can't to Pro. :)
    4. Having said that, as far as I know when you downgrade to W10 from 8.1, you lose the license you had installed. I rather not do that and keep my 8.1 license in case I need it.
    5. Thanks again.

9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

You still did not look at other sites...

From one of the may hits on Google:

Why is it so hard for people to look things up.

QB

10. Judas

perform a clean install... when it asks for a key.. DO NOT put it in, instead hit don't have key.... select windows 10 pro and then proceed. Make sure to setup local account.

Once in windows and once you get the drivers installed, then proceed to go into setting ~> activation and then drop your windows 8.x pro key in and boom she'll be locked and loaded.

11. Trusteft

You don't understand what I am saying or what?
    If I use my previous installation aka W8.1 key, I will lose that license. I don't want to do that.

12. Trusteft

If I do that, I won't be able to activate Windows 8.1 again. At least from what I read some time ago. I don't want to do that.
    I will just buy one of those 15$ keys.

13. Trusteft

Done, with a discount code I paid about 12 euros for the W10 Pro license.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

14. Trusteft

Oh and...
    [​IMG]

15. Judas

no you won't

16. Trusteft

Well...it doesn't matter either way now.

I have to say, using Windows 10 for few hours now...I have to give it to them. The GUI's small changes are terrific. Apart from one, I miss my tiles from Windows 8.1 I miss them a lot.

The other thing, my god do they push the whole sign in thing. I went with an offline account and I couldn't find the Nvidia control panel. Apparently in Windows 10 you have to download it from Windows Store than from...Nvidia. Which is absurd, that's what I thought, till you realize the reason. I went to download it and after I clicked to get it, I got pushed to sign in. No info given, made you think that you have to sign in to download it. I canceled it and then the download started without me having to sign in. Disgusting, expected, but disgusting.

17. Trusteft

Something else that's interesting regard the NVMe drive. Much faster under Windows 10.
    Fucking BS. I doubt I will buy another Adata product.

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Um... are you ok with your drives serial number showing in Adata software pics?

19. Judas

If you prefer the tiles system, you simply hit the notification icon, then hit tablet mode and you'll have full tiles again, proceed to do the same thing again to disable it. I believe windows 10 has a configurable hotkey you can press to swap from one to the other quickly.

As i said, make sure to not use an online account, and i agree, the 1909 install now tries to enforce it. So if you do a HOME install instead of pro, you literally need to disconnect from the internet, and then proceed with offline install, otherwise it'll never allow you to do it.

nvidia's and intel have somewhat changed the process on their end, Though typically you still have to do a proper manual install of the driver to update it, windows 10 is EXTREMELY aggressive at installing the latest driver that either company has made available on microsoft's update catalog. It's best to allow it to do it's task first then install over top of the driver with the latest.

While i'm not entirely a fan of the new "app" based control panel install method as often i've encountered it not properly download and install and even if you manually do it. Even Realtek now does this, you install the driver, and the control panel is supposed to automatically QUE up to download and install. This isn't by microsofts design, just an unfortunate side effect of way too many people INSISTING on making every damn thing a bloody app.

So far only the radeon drivers appear to still be self contained for the most part, but i have a suspicion that will be changed shortly since the default install process for it, still insists on installing a crap catalyst package for some of the older cards that will cause conflicts. I'm happy to however report that it no longer does it with a good number of the radeon cards, only installing the driver without the problematic "modded" control panel allowing you to install the correct on without headaches.

ANY application that request you sign in you can opt out and check the option to not request again if available, anything the requires it, MAKE sure only sign into the app, it'll give you an option after you initialize it first with a "Sign into this app only" or something equivilent. So long as you pay attention to that for anything you get through the store, you won't have your local account turned into an online one.

Trusteft likes this.
  20. Trusteft

Yeah, why?