AWOMO...Risen from the dead?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by OldBuzzard, Mar 19, 2011.

1. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I know that there were quite a few of us here at the old DH, that were beta testing AWOMO. We all know that they pretty much dropped off the radar, and we all assumed that the project had died.

I just got an email which may signal that "the reports of their death was exaggerated".

Here's what I received. It was in both German and English. I'm posting the English part.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i got that too. of course our old elite ops accounts are gone...

3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

yup.. the whole elite ops forum and benefits of being one are gone..
    it's a shame really.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I marked it as spam. Ancient history as far as I'm concerned.

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol i thought it died completely...

well... competition is always good so i say good luck to them!

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

It actually went directly to the spam box on my account. ;) Probably would have missed it completely if not for this thread. :)

7. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

it was fun while i tested tomb raider but then i had so many issues with the Rome game and then nothing for so long .....

might jump back in and give it another go but i think Steam has this niche all sewn up

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

^^^^ This!

One of the main drawbacks about the option they provide is that you've got your system tied up doing a download while, at the same time, trying to actually play the game. On some systems, that may be fine. But, it does produce some stress that would manifest itself in poorer game performance until the entire file is downloaded.

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

It was automatically sent to my spam folder. I still read it. I even checked the site! As expected I quickly clicked on the link to unsubscribe and deleted the message with the hope that I never get to see it again.

Apart from all the reasons mentioned long time ago, there is the basic idea behind it that doesn't make sense to me. Why would I choose to buy a game from a system which main thing was being able to play the game before it finishes download? Unless I am dying, I can spare the extra 30 min to an hour or two at worse.

The system makes sense for people on dial up, but if I had just dial up I would probably just get the retail packaging or shoot myself.

10. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Got that, too, directly to the spam box. Marked it as not spam and I'll be waiting to see if there are any updates. I agree that relatively fast download isn't a huge benefit, but I don't mind seeing how this service develops.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah i read this last night when i received it and while i support them in their venture...

i think if they get their system sorted.. that steam would be wise to buy em up and implement the system...

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

that would really be the best thing they can hope for.

even on huge downloads with steam, i just go do something else for a few hours while i wait for it to finish downloading. im not s impatient that i have to play the game right this damn instant.

13. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I got the email too. In a competitive market (Steam, EA store, etc), it makes sense for a newcomer to try to compete by offering features not available on other similar products. My view is that they chose the wrong unique feature. AWOMO is basically game streaming. It's more complex than video streaming because you don't know for sure (even with the optimization they do) in which order the data is necessary and if you play faster than the download speed, you will suffer video and audio stutter. I prefer to wait overnight than to risk suffering a stuttering/crashing experience. Downloading a game is a one time thing that does not take that long. I don't really see the point in optimizing there. Now, if games took more disk space, started coming out on BD disks and took many days to download, it would start to make sense.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This email landed in my spam box also.

Don't think I'll be bothering. Internet speeds are far to fast to care about playing a game while it downloads anymore.