Being stupid.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You know when you finally see how stupid you have been and it feels like you can't really accept it? It feels like a lie, like a dream. No way I was so stupid for all this time! Yet now you finally see the truth and you are like, is it possible I was THAT stupid?

If you don't you might be lucky.

I think I have been and I am trying to re examine it and my actions regarding this. Trying to find a flaw in my recent awakening, which will convince me that NO, I was right all along. It's just my recent thinking about it that is illogical. That I am missing something.

I am talking about things I did with my computer setup and what followed that.
    I will update when I have something solid.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I don't recall ever thinking how stupid I was at something. But, I HAVE asked myself, "Why didn't I think of that before?" Maybe it's a matter of perspective.

Mr Cairo and Trusteft like this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The way I had my computer setup was so that I could play and record on my external capture device. There were/are some loops.
    While HDMI out from the PC would go to the capture device through a hdmi switcher and a hdmi splitter, it would not carry the sound. In the same hdmi switcher and splitter I have two more devices, one PS4 and one PS3. They would all (but the PC) send the audio through HDMI to the TV I use as a monitor. There from the headphone out of the TV the audio (from the consoles) would go back to the mic/line in of my PC. Audio out from the PC (and thus the consoles too) would be split with a splitter in two directions. One is the headphones and two is a 3.5mm to RCA cable that would go back into the external capture device.
    As I saw it this was the best way of handling it.

Recently I ordered not only a new pair of headphones because my previous was were damaged (by myself), but also a new external capture device to see if I can get better video capture results.

The new headphones arrives and I had the result I mentioned previously in another thread, I could now hear the sound much better and there was a lot of noise coming out of the PC. While waiting for the capture device I ordered an external soundcard to try to solve the problem with the noise.
    The new external capture device arrived and last night I tried to test it.
    I was getting no sound in captured footage. Oh I know, I will just do the same connection to get audio in it that way.
    No. You see the new device has no line in. Other than HDMI the only other audio connection is a gamepad audio port. Which I am not entirely sure what it does. I tried to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect the PC to the device but all I was getting was noise. I unplugged it and stood there thinking.

I then unplugged the splitter and headphones from the headphones port in my PC and directly plugged the headphones to the headphones out port on the new capture device. I then changed the playback device on the PC (Windows 8.1) to the TV. I got sound back and even sound to the captured footage I recorded to test this new connection.
    Not only that but I also have no noticeable (by me anyway) noise coming in. No interference, nothing that would say (you need to get a new soundcard).

Perhaps I could connect the new soundcard (which hasn't arrived yet, but it is too late to cancel the order) to the new device...no. As I mentioned there in is line in or even microphone in.

So basically I wasted all this time and money. I am soon going to receive an external soundcard I won't be able to use if I want to use the new external capture device.

Or am I once again missing something?

Input?

(heh)