Bentley Pays Anniversary Tribute to Founder with Special Mulsanne

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Calliers, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Bentley is paying tribute to the founder of the company and its 100th anniversary with a new special edition. The W.O. Edition by Mulliner takes design cues from 1930, and puts a part of the founder’s own car into each one.

Bentley Cars was founded in 1919 by Walter Owen (W.O.) Bentley, with the goal of building “a fast car, a good car, the best in its class.” That objective has driven the brand ever since.

The last car to wear the badge that was personally designed by W.O. was the 8 Litre. That car launched in 1930, and was the largest and most luxurious car the company had built to date. It used an 8.0L straight six and was capable of reaching 160 km/h.

Bentley’s own Bentley was the second car off the line. It used the short wheelbase chassis and wore a body built by H.J. Mulliner, the coachbuilder that is now in-house and handles extra special Bentley customization. Bentley was forced to sell his car the following year, but it was bought back by the company that bears his name in 2006.

The Mulsanne W.O. Edition by Mulliner is inspired by that 1930s 8 Litre. On the outside, the car wears onyx paint with a chrome bonnet strip and black alloy wheels. Although this is a Bentley, so customers can still change that paint, should they so choose. There is also special badging on the wheel centres, door sills, and fender.

[​IMG]

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

hands up who else would much rather have the 1930 model?
    an 8 litre straight six btw.. :eek: awesome :)

3. Calliers

Nah, I'd rather have the newer one.

Although considering the older model would be far more expensive, I'd buy that, auction it off then get a different car and a house.

4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

well, not being a Premiership footballer, I gotta say the new thing does absolutely nothing for me.
    that vintage one though, that really floats my boat

5. Calliers

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad (the older of the two) but comfort wise the newer one is better. Also it is probably slower than the new one.

I think we differ in our tastes due to our age difference but then again that is just one aspect of it.