best heatsink/fan combo for an XP EXPERTS HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Billy, May 12, 2002.

1. Billy

Billy Guest

im looking some help, I just bought an XP1800 and im not overclocking it, but my stock fan and heatsink I dont think are cooling it right.

my temps on idle are 53c and my case temps are 30... I know my case isnt really that great at cooling as I also have one case fan but if I added a good fan like a delta or something would my temps lower?

isnt it dangerous to have temperatures over 50c... can anyone help?

my radeon card works fine at 275/275 as well but im really worried im going to ruin the processor.. at full load its over 60c.........

EXPERTS PLEASE HELP !!!!!

2. Mize

Mize The quiet one

I really like the ThermalRight AX-7 with a quiet 80 mm fan (I'm using and Enermax). For maximum cooling you can couple it with an 80 mm Delta screamer.

Mize

3. Billy

Billy Guest

thanks Mize, you guys are so cool, I love your system btw, WOW.

are you a hardware engineer?

4. Billy

Billy Guest

oh yeah I meant to say, I dont like alot of noise, are those Zalman fans anygood? they look cool id like to have a clear panel on the side of the pc.... with lighting at some stage, that would look neat.

is 60C really high?

5. Mize

Mize The quiet one

Thanks Billy.

The Zalman's are great, but not so much for OC'ing. I put on in a rig I built for my Mom and she hangs at 39-42 on a non-overclocked XP 1800. You don't get much visual effect as the (92 mm) fan mounts on a bracket over the Zalman. I think the AX-7 with a 3000-3500 RPM fan is the best compromise between screamers and good cooling. You can probably do the same with an Alpha.

Mize

6. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Alpha PAL8045..one of these best socket A coolers around.

7. Candyman

Candyman [DH] Lover!

I love my AX-7. I think it is probably the best 80mm cooler out there now. Couple it with a good 40+cfm fan and you are laughing. Right now I have the Sunon 43cfm fan on it and it is nice and quiet while keeping the T-bird cool. Of coarse, for optimal cooling, get a 60+cfm fan but be prepared for noise!

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

Hey Candyman,

So you bascially just screw the fan ontop of it? After reading your post I went looked at this cooler, pretty good price and great performance. Where did get your's from? I'm thinking about getting one to replace my noisy Dynatron.

9. David

David Banned

I ll have to say Alpha 8045 aswell really that and mcx462 are the best alpha is alot cheaper
    http://www.plycon.com are cheap on them and they are great ordered alot from them

10. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I know it sounds like a stock answer

But Im a fan of Thermaltake :)

Im planning on the Volcano 7 for my new rig

11. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Hey, just thought I'd throw my opinion in. I overclock a little (1.4 TBird @ 1.533 -- same clockspeed as your XP), and I've had outstanding luck with ThermalTake's Volcano 7. Their Volcano 7+ (an all-copper model), I understand, works even better.

A CPU temperature of 50C is absolutely nothing to worry about. But if you insist on being paranoid about it, I definitely suggest the TTV7. Mine runs at about 50C, but that's with the fan running at 7V instead of 12V (I hate noise). Not to mention the fact that TBirds run warmer than Palominos. So, yeah, you don't have to worry about 50C, but if you need to upgrade, I do highly reccomend the recent ThermalTake offerings.

Ciao and regards,
    JavaFox

12. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 Can I be cool?

Re:

Well put.

13. Msm80

Msm80 New Member

14. XSgore

XSgore New Member

My 2 cents...

I bought a ThermoEngine V60-4120 for my Athlon XP 1800 (overclocked to 1900 (1.64GHz))

And it runs at.... 47'C full load (with 1.84Volts)

It's got a 4500RPM fan on top, but i've just bought an 8000RPM Delta, but it is WAY too loud for my liking,

But seriously, if you don't need to overclock, and they are still available somewhere, i recommend it. Fitting is quite easy, comes with a thermal pad if u dont like using thermal paste.... cost me around £25 last summer.

Cheers
    XSG

15. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

one thing to remember ppl

its not the RPMS that matter but the CFM's

I have seen high RPM fans that do not cool as well and are loud but dont push enough air to do hardly anything

16. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

CFM vs. RPM

As far as this fox is concered, the most important specification of a fan is it's dB rating. :D

17. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

OK, I know for a fact that a overclocked 2000+ @ 1.78GHz will stay right around 40*C with the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+ It is a solid copper heatsink with a sweet little 70mm fan on it. You have your choice of three settings Low, Med, and High... With the fan set to medium I was getting temps of around 42*C...

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall this is probably one of the best solutions for powerful cooling, and quiet operation.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

18. XSgore

XSgore New Member

urm the 8000RPM Delta pushes 51.6CFM i think

that enough?

(also emits around 50dB though)

19. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

once again lol thats a high rpm fan

look at it this way.......when an engine in a car is pushing 9000 RPMS you get scared because thats red line on it

you can find fans that are only around 5000RPM or less that will push that much cfm its bigger to get a slightly larger fan with lower RPMs as it will still push the same amount of air as a smaller fan at higher RPMs just with less sound ;)

20. XSgore

XSgore New Member

hmmm no shit... it's loud!!

yeh the 8000RPM is DAMN LOUD !!!

What I need to do is get a fan mate from overclockers to go with it, jeez come to think of it i've got a list of things i want ;-)

with fan mate will probly throttle it down to 5000 or 6000 RPM

and when i leave it on during the daytime whack it up to 8K :)

GT