Best mobo for overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by HardwareHeaven, May 20, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

lets hear your findings.

nothing more important than a good mobo.

stability, performance, feature list.

2. peroni

peroni New Member

I gotta have to tell my experience, mostly coz the supplier being the absolute computer ignorant he is (true!) sent me the most expensive board he had in stock for the price of a cheaper one...
    Anyway, I got this MSI 845 Ultra ARU,
    The acronism 'ARU' stands for on board Audio(6 channels), onboard Raid and USB 2.0!!
    The cpu I got was a P4 Northwood 1.6 that I installed with a standard Intel cooler.
    MSI has got this very trendy overclocking utility that does everything for you without having to worry too much about it, it's called fuzzy logic.
    All you have to do is to start it up and let it run, it will go on and on raising the FSB but not only that, it causes spikes so the worser condition are recreated.
    Well at the default voltage it stopped at 2.46 Ghz.
    When I raised the Vcore to 1.55 it went up to 2.56Ghz
    We're talking stock air cooling here!
    I left it there looping 3dmark for a while and it sure was stable!

Shame the combo was not for me but instead for a lady that mostly use it to chat via ICQ so I clocked it back to 1.6MHz. What a waste...

3. Impulse

Impulse l33t

[SIZE=small]Yeah I love my Shuttle AK35GTR Motherboard :), Its stable, fast, tweak'able BIOS alike, my Tbird loves it and I got it for only $89 bucks :D[/SIZE]

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

See sig. OCs like a mother :)
    But probably not the best performance wise, although really not that bad.

5. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

I would have to say... that to date... the absolute best overclocking motherboard that I have used would be the DFI AK76-SN. No frilles... No USB2, No Audio, No VGA, No AMR.... just 6xPCI slots, and 1xAGP... Uses the AMD 761 chipset, and is the most stable system I have owned to date...

It has overclocking features, the FSB is available in BIOS, but the Multiplier, and voltage settings are on two sets of DIP switches. I have a 2000+ XP processor (1.66GHz) operating at 1.85GHz... That is nearly 2300+ speeds. all on 1.75 Vcore.

6. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Poor luck, me

It's fascinating that you guys have been having good luck with manufacturers like Shuttle and DFI -- they're not typical choices for an overclocker.

I've never really had good luck with o/cing.. my Thunderbird won't go to 1.6GHz even with 2.0V pulsing through it. I run an EPoX 8KHA+, which is a fine board. I would not, however, reccommend it for a hardcore overclocker because it only does up to 1.85V (without a mod, that is), requires a CMOS Clear to recover from bad o/cs, and lacks the 1/5 PCI divider. Nice for basic o/cing (I run my 1.4GHz @ 1.53GHz), but I wouldn't reccomend it to the truly insane.

It does post at 400MHz FSB, though. :eek:

7. WyreTheWolf

8. toddalaska

toddalaska New Member

i think for the 200+ fsb crowd on amd boards you really only got three to look at.
    abit kx7333 all the reviewers are loving it besieds the video tearing up around 215 fsb
    epox 8k3a+ reported tearing there too from what ive talked to people about
    iwll xp333 no tearing but not enough voltage on the dimm

9. WyreTheWolf

Re:

Can't have everything :p

Found another really good article.

http://www.pchardware.ro/Reviews/review.php?id=111&p=3

10. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Well... i'm in Abit man myself... I still run a KT7 Raid (KT133) I have a Tbird in there at 800... but only stock cooling... I've pushed it up to 1066 but that was without even trying... and with crappy memory too.

When i was getting my XP computer... i must say that i had some problems (dealer ran out on me, i used a debit card, well ... you live and learn)... so i couldn't fund an ABIT. I went for a Gigabyte 7vtxe and it hasn't dissapointed me. I run it at 1650 (11x150) 24x7 with cas2 and 1T command. Matter of fact... a friend of mine ordered a board from an online dealer... and he got shipped a 7vtxe... He got so pissed off about it... but when i explained to him that it was better than the mobo he ordered... he was quite happy :).

Anyway... I just got a fan in that i'm gonna mount on the North Bridge and then i'll see how far the board will go.

my 2c. :)

11. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Same here, lovely board. Have some headroom on the CPU too, for when it isn't fast enough.

As I type this, am building a little 800MHz Duron rig on a Gigabyte 7ZX board. Not great of o/c'ing, but I get stability.

Best board I have ever used was the Abit BX6-2 (and closely followed by the IT5H). Just love those ABit boards. Still using the BX6 board, with PIII-550 o/c to 733 (and some headroom to go on that). Tricky bit is the FSB - I se an Adaptec 2940UW and those cards are *real* fussy about PCI bus speed. Never persuaded a system to go above 37MHz with one of them cards in. So two PC's in theplace are pure IDE, just to scream to the max. And SCSI gives me no gain in gaming - quite the opposite at the moment, as I am not wasting Ultra-x on a game rig.

Just another part of the equation - the board is important; granularity of speeds and multipliers, number and quality of capacitors, etc. But one can suddenly find a limiting factor with a single add-in card.

All my experience of course, and others will differ :)

12. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Asus-Asus-Asus!

I fell in love with my CUSL2-C and picked up a TUSL2-C when my other mobo crispy-fried itself. (Damn cats....) The bios is a freaking OCers dream as far as I'm concerned! Too many fun options to list and damn near total control over everything. :)

It's a bit older with it's 815ep chipset right now, but chips & memory are cheap as hell for it. (I'm still waiting to see how high they take the PIII line before deciding on my final CPU's for these puppies. :) )

13. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Yo whats that adaptec? A Raid controller, sound card...(me <----clueless).

And yeah.. i'm really interested in buying some pIII tuallatins before they die off... it would be particurlarly nice if they dropped in price :)!!!!!!!!!!

14. digitalwanderer

Have faith.

They will, they will. :D

15. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Vanilla ultra-wide SCSI card.

I think maybe Adaptec are missing a small - but lucrative - market here. Yup, their cards are 'Gods own' for SCSI, but they have just about zero tolerance when you o/c the PCI bus. Now, if they made a card aimed at the o/c market - say without the 5 year warranty, flash upgradeable (to cope with future fsb revisions), and so forth... well, I'd be a happy bunny!

16. WyreTheWolf

Well, I ordered a few new toys over the week end! A MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard ... One of the nifty KT333 Bright red beasts!, A new AthlonXP 2100+, and two 256MB 333DDR dimms. Ordered two 40GB ATA133 hard drives .... This should all be in at the end of the week... :p I personally can't wait!

The last thing will be a Graphics card... and I am not too sure what I am going to get... R300 should be out soon.... But, I will have to wait and see... I might just use the Radeon 8500 LE 128MB DDR graphics card I have been working on at the shop.

I would have to say that the MSI KT3 also gets a serious vote for the overclocking. :)

Laterz!

17. digitalwanderer

Get the gigabyte 8500XT Wyre!

Not only does it roxor hard, but it's red/gold theme will match your mobo.

18. WyreTheWolf

Well, I am about $100 from exceeding my budget for this month.... So I think I will just drop in that Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR graphics card. At least, until the R300 makes its debute... That should be soon! The R250 is next ... within the next ... week? Month? Hour? who knows...

19. Alan Allen

Alan Allen The "Eye"

Best O/C M/B

I use the Gigabyte GA-7DXR, along with these fine quality components:

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.4Ghz 266fsb
    AYHJA"9" Week 34 Clock:10.5, Multiplier:139 (1460Mhz)
    Swiftech MC-462A (Rev 1)
    GA-7DXR Modded BIOS (dhorgas&[JiNN]) 7DXRPF.F4 Promise Bios 1.31 build 22
    Micron 512Meg PC2100 DDR 16-8-8-2-6-2-2 @ 2.7v
    (2) IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb RAID 0
    ASUS V8200 Deluxe GeForce3-16 bit@1024x768 225/510 7387-3DMarks2001SE, 78-GLMark
    Yamaha CRW8424EZ CDRW
    ASUS S500 50x CDROM
    Panasonic 3.5" 1.44Meg Floppy
    Kingston Etherx PCI 10/100
    Panasonic Panasync S70 17"
    MS Internet keyboard Pro
    MS Intellimouse Explorer
    Altec Lansing ACS48 Subwoofer sys
    Windows ME
    :cool:

20. shuki

shuki New Member

Re:

nail dead on the head. even the kr7a is a great mobo for o/cing. not sure about iwill but kx7 and epox are 200+ fsb boards. While I respect digitalwanderer, I must disagree with him on Asus and overclocking. I would not buy another asus for o/cing. for a fantastic day to day mobo absolutely. for o/cing nope.