Best Sound Card of All Time or So Far???

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Necrosis, May 27, 2002.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

So folks which one do you think it is???

2. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

Um...tough to say, lol, the Awe32 is nice, but so is the SB Live 5.1

3. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Mmmm. . . Philip's. . .

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

my old, rather limited and yet rock solid PCI128 SB :D

5. p0rnflake

p0rnflake New Member

The philips cards are supposed to ve really good - I've got a Hercules Fortissimo II myself - and that pretty much rocks too - much better than my old SB live !

I wouldn't buy ANY creative card if I was shopping for a new sound card as none of the newer creative cards live up to the PCI specs.

Look for cards bases on Cirrus Logic chips and you cant go wrong !

6. Necrosis

I'm going to have to say my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz..though I did really like my AWE64.

7. Impulse

Impulse l33t

[SIZE=x-small]8-Bit ISA Soundcard :) or the Hercules MuseXl, which is a great and low price Soundcard, perfect to replace the on-board AC-97 Audio :D...[/SIZE]

8. Yostarr

Yostarr New Member

The best sound card has to be the SB LIVE! value. Almost everyone has had one or still does.

9. Funkybuffalo

Funkybuffalo New Member

Philips

I would have to go with the Philips Acoustic Edge. I haven't heard all of the non-Crapative cards, but the Acoustic Edge is great. EAX 2.0 (and as far as I've heard it works), QSound for audio output and Dolby 5.1. Also has S/PDIF in and out (go figure, Sony/PHILIPS Digital Interface). It's also much cheaper than the comperable SB card.

Man, I sound like a salesman. Let me change that.

Philips Good.

10. Necrosis

Re: Philips

I used to have one of these for a short period of time. However, I returned it for reasons outside of the card. What I replaced it with was a SBLive 5.1. I'm sorry I did that. It is a very good sound card.

11. J_A_M_F

J_A_M_F New Member

SMEG, nobody here favours the Aureal Vortex II.
    I use it, I like it, I hate that it was killed by Creative, pissed off :mad: at CL that they don't release the source code for the A3D2.0 or 3.0 drivers.

Next card will be the Phillips Acoustic Edge, heard that the 3D was second to none.

12. e-Seeker

e-Seeker AKA *e-Seeker*

Re:

...or is still having problems selling it :D
    Ah well; it is a good card, but it kinda went down in time... Simply compared to the Audigy (for normal music playback, without any 'tweakers') it doesn't stand a chance...

Hmmm, I can't speak for any other cards, as I've only dealt with CL ones...

13. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Heh heh

Guess what I have in my comp right now? A Turtle Beach Montego II (based on the Vortex AU8830 chip.) I love A3D in Half-Life and its mods!

Oh yeah . . . . And I plan to add a Philips Acoustic Edge in a couple months. :D

14. Necrosis

Re: Heh heh

Great card!! :) Why no Santa Cruz??? :confused:

15. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

I have SantaCruz and Audigy, and I can't honestly say its the best card on the planet :(. I mean... the sound is cleaner somewhat, but the same effect can be had by modifying an equalizer with the audigy :rolleyes:.... Not only that, but the SantaCruz's midi synthesizer can't even begin to compare to the Audigy's... (especially with a good soundfont ;) ). Lets not also forget Audigy's great gaming. .............. anyway, I'm not saying that the Audigy is better than the Santa Cruz or the other way around... I'm just saying that none of them is better than the other and that they both have their good features. I have my headphones hooked to the SantaCruz, but I have my Audigy's line-out plugged into the SantaCruz so that my midis don't sound like crap :bleh:. As far as gaming is concerned.... some games are better on SantaCruz... others on Audigy.... (and that Virtual Ear is pretty nice :D). These two cards coexist nicely :).

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

I don't know about "the best", but

I really like my fortissimo II a lot, it blows away my SB-live 5.1 for quality & performance at about half the price. :)

17. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Well, the Montego II is the card I chose when I bought my comp about 2.5 years ago. After that, when the Santa Cruz and Philips "Edge" series came out, I started thinking about a new card. Since then, I kept hearing such good things about the Acoustic Edge, and I like the QSound features the card has, so I think I'll probably go with that one.

Of course, I will still keep the Montego II, since the others apparently can't do A3D 2.0 or 3.0 . . . I, too, am sad that Aureal is gone :tears:

P.S. To dallasstar: Since I'm planning a 2-card setup, can you please explain just how to go about it? Like how do you specify which card handles what audio. Please PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread. Or, you can start a new thread (eg "How to do a multi-sound-card setup"), and I'll reply there. Thanks in advance (I just hope you come back to this thread and read this ;) )

18. Necrosis

I have owned one of these cards myself, and was very impressed with it. The only thing I didn't like was the doinger connector coming off the card. I like my input/outputs in a fixed location. Othern than that great card, and I imagine you can now find it at a very reasonable price.

19. Xploited Titan

Xploited Titan Driverheaven's evil

Let's not forget the Gametheater XP!!!!!!!

It has some really interesting features, and it isn't bad at all....... :)

It does take some room, I've still problems with the Virtual Ear drivers, but all in all, I think it can compete without shame against an Audigy, even though the sound is a little bit muffled...

20. Shodan

Shodan New Member

You are forgetting the best one: Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96

There is only one REAL Sound (MUSIC) Card out there:

The Terratec DMX 24/96 (The Full pACKAGE including the nifty front module)

-> Sound is WAY CLEANER than the SB Audigy - has almost all features of the Audigy, a better front module, and so on... only thing it lacks is EAX 2.0...well, A3D is better than that so far....