Best Sound Card of All Time or So Far???

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Necrosis, May 27, 2002.

1. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Aureal SQ2500 "Super Quad" ... Never had any problems with it... My wife is still using it. Ran perfectly under 98, 98se, and ME... 2K, and XP no support :( I HATE CREATIVE FOR WHAT THEY DID!

The AWE64 was great....

And I can now get my A3D lovin' from the Philips Acoustic Edge! Thanks to a wonderful sound card, and a great company.

2 minutes to install the drivers, and reboot.

2. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Re:

Doesn't the PAE only support A3D 1.0 ? That's what it says on their site . . . . :confused:

3. Ryo-Ohki

Ryo-Ohki World Destroyer

The Sound Blaster Live! and 5.1 flavour are both very nice, served me faithfully until now. Can't figure out why there are people hating them so much.

I also like my older A3D Vortex based card for its DOS support.

4. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Vampyromaniac, you were correct on that. It supports A3D 1.0 Sorry about that. I know that with Quake, everything does sound nice with A3D enabled. EAX is good, but it just doesn't have the depth of the wave tracing.

5. fornicatarachnid

fornicatarachnid Clanless

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, coupled with my Abit SP 50 speakers, the sound quality is awesome :D

6. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

I have a mongrel bank of different brands for speakers and they all work great.

7. egarrard

egarrard New Member

8. Frodo301

Frodo301 Outraged

EAX does not even come close to the realism of A3D. I still have my Diamond MX300 running in another machine with Win 98se.

9. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

drt

Ahhh...the Creative AWE 64 Gold...I loved the MIDI effects on that card. I was big into FF6-7 MIDI music and LOVED listening to it with the soundfonts provided on my FF7 disc....dang nab!

Plus it also did "reverb effects" which, at the time, blew me away.

10. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

sb live is the best soundcard ever made. all these competitors are gay. with retarded names lol. fortissmo and santa cruz absolutely suck. sb live paved the way for eax technology. audigy has too much hype. i bought it i found very little diff. i was using my 5.1 5300 on sb live value so i couldnt take advantege of 5.1 entirely so i bought a audigy for its 5.1 capability. all the 24 bit and eax advanced HD is the same crap as eax 1 pretty much. but sb live is the top card ever made and is most commonly used still after 5 or 6 yrs.

11. RIV@NVX

[email protected] Freedom is a feature.

A3D was indeed better than EAX, maybe that's one of reasons why Creative bought it - they got scared.;)

LynxTwo - definitly! (it must be good for it's price)
    AWE64 - old card, from the times when Creative Labs knew how to do their job well.
    SB Live! - it is most frequent because of Creative's brand, not anything else (I think).

I can recommend TerraTec DMX 6fire 24/96(LT), the only thing is that it doesn't have hardware MIDI support.

12. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

The greatest soundcard of all-time hands down is the Gravis UltraSound (GUS) and its many varients.

13. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

asd

I also vouche, and I know I'll get flamed, for the Audigy.

If you have good speakers, you WILL notice the difference between it and other Creative cards, even the Hercules Game Theater XP (which is pretty cool, like the breakout box). And EAX 3...wow, I can hear freaking gunshot sound reflections off walls to my side...man...turning it off DOES decrease game sound quality...Jedi Outcast sounds beautiful, and Hitman 2....all I can say is this "hear footsteps muffled in realtime, behind objects, through floors, then hear explosions from outside when it's in a concrete castle..." uh. Okay, that was long winded.

I'm proud of my stout audigy. BUT, I wish the Audigy 2 would have added more than just...minor updates. Like...emulated EAX 3 for all games would be cool...or like...EMF noise shielding to the entire card...oooo....

14. Gurm

Gurm Hail to the King, Baby!

YEAH another vote here for the GUS. I had a GUS MAX and it was AWE-SOME.

15. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Hercules GameTheater XP 0wNz:D Seriously though, this is by far the best soundcard I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

16. Gurm

Gurm Hail to the King, Baby!

Game Theater XP... also known as "the card that Hercules forgot".

17. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

fg

also...

I like the AC97 codec, it doesn't even sound half bad for stereo (on two of my mobos). No special effects though...

18. RIV@NVX

[email protected] Freedom is a feature.

Re: fg

My KT3 has Realtek ALC650... it is 5.1 - it is pretty good...

a bit off topic: VIA has decided to put Envy24PT in next generation of MoBos (very similar to Envy24HT used by TerraTec Aureon 7.1 and M-Audio Revo 7.1) - yeah (NVIDIA SoundStorm APU made them scared:))

19. blackdog

blackdog Active Member

May not be the fanciest but look how long the old Soundblaster 16's have been around.

20. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

Actually Gurm, the latest drivers have been very very good. They have really stepped up their tech support as well.

And you can not beat the 7.1 surround sound you can get with the Hercules special version of PowerDVD and the latest drivers.

Looking forward to a time when games are using 7.1 Dolby digital!

The sound quality is excellent, and based on hearing other sound cards on friends systems, I think the sound quality is as good or superior to any other on the market.

And if you can't tell, I am a very happy Game Theatre XP owner! :D