Beware of Onboard Sound Blaster X-Fi

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jun 2, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

It looks like consumers aren't being treated fairly once again. It has come to our attention that a few popular vendors are now offering motherboards with a built-in X-Fi advertised as part of the features. Now you would expect to see an X-Fi audio chip on those motherboards - well, this is not the case. What you are going to get is a regular onboard audio chip (VIA, Realtek) with additional limited Sound Blaster X-Fi software. It seems that Creative Labs is now licensing its X-Fi software to OEMs.

2. classic_leon

classic_leon New Member

Perhaps I'd never post if Mig31 doesn't let us know this. LOL. Thanks for the thread. Oh Yes, you don't need to pay too much for a buggy soundcard, that's why YouP-PAX has NOT officially released mod drivers for 3 and half years. In actural fact, you also don't need to keep waiting for a kid who has not enough knowledge but still releases lame mod in Brazil to fool you. RealTek audio softmod to X-Fi MB for Windows 7 is released by Alexa and SOlOR. Now everyone has an X-Fi lol.

3. hohum

hohum New Member

Creative have been providing this software to certain manufacturers for ages, nothing new here. I guess it's an attempt to cling onto the audio market due to their X-Fi chipset becoming more obsolete over time.

Software mixing is the way forward - far more flexible, not tied to any vendor specific hardware or API, and as a result everyone can experience the same audio effects. The performance benefit of hardware accelerated audio playback nowadays is negligible (and has been for a while now), and as such isn't worth the trade-off as far as I'm concerned.