BF2 video stutter only when looking left and right ingame

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Mr Cairo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

read the full thread here

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33820224&page=1&pp=30

been having this problem and was convinced it was my mouse and possibly hardware acceleration i have disbled removed and turned hardware acceleration on and off using various tools off the net and even changed my mouse to no avail

if i get in a helicopter and fly or circle its smooth same in tanks etc if im on foot i can look up and down and its a smooth motion going left to right gives me a stutter ..... but if i strafe walk left and right its smooth

only happens if i use the mouse to look left to right etc

so far i have

tried diffrent versions of mobo drivers GFx drivers sound card

tried the mouse on ps2 and usb

tried sound accleration on high low disabled etc

taken the Gfx and sound options in BF2 from highest to lowet

changed my MS optical mouse for a Logitech mx 510 did a full format and reintall and the prob still persisted

tried bf2 with the default unpatched game to the 1.2 patched game

defragged scandisked adawared the living hell out of my pc

removed firewall and antivirus

with sp1 and then with sp2

and no joy the stutter is still there but only in BF2 and only when looking left to right

i do believe that i saw a slight improvment after changing the Agp from 128 to 256 but this may be my imagination

tommorow i am doing a barebones install the OS vid mobo and sound then the game and ill see if theres a stutter then illl install the updates from MS 1 at a time and check after each install see if its a program that i install that interfears with the game

any ideas guys ????

my spec BTW

Athlon FX 53 |Abit AV8 |Corsair 2x1024 3200 XMSLL|HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X850 XTPE|Audigy 2 ZS|WinXP Sp2

2. Ashman UK

Ashman UK New Member

Have been reading these forums for ages on and off for info and help with my various gfx cards i have had and saw this post and finally decided to register so a big hi to everyone.

To the poster above when i saw your thread your system specs are pretty identical to mine and i play bf2 a hell of alot aswell and have had these odd problems before with stuttering when turning during game etc.

Alot of things u said u have already done but 2 other things i would try(which one i have just the other day) and i play it on high with *4 AA is one of course manually update punkbuster and 2...and i think this maybe the one that has eliminated most of the odd in-game stuttering id get on and off is donwload either ati tray tools or pci-latency tool and change your default video cards latency from 255 to 64.

This is an issue that is well known and im sure has been spoken about many a time especially on these forums etc..but i gave it a whirl the other and while it does not increase your fps im starting to assume i hope that it has smoothed out my gameplay with this rig when playing bf2.

Hope something like that helps ya.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  3. Mr Cairo

i have done the 64 latency thing and it has cleared up the problem a lot .... but not compleatly its better but still there :(

soooooo frustrating :(

4. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

I don't know how either of you guys are getting stutter. I have an inferior system to both of yours and i dont get it. I run at 1280x960 everything high except dynamic lighting. 4xaa and high filtering. I'm running a p4 3.0 presscott 1g crappy ram and an X800xl.

5. highkick

highkick New Member

Interesting thread...........Last Christmas, I bought, then returned a 19 inch widescreen Sony LCD monitor with TV tuner built in. It stuttered also when turning left or right in games......I've never seen that on my CRT or my laptops....Nor do I see it happening on the thousands of CRT's and LCD's here at Quakecon.....

What a shame, 'cause the Sony LCD had the richest and most vibrant colors I have seen in an LCD.

6. Mr Cairo

LOL thats the point m8 we dont know why were getting the stutter either ;)

7. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

I'm hearing you need over 1 Gig. of RAM for this game. Also , have you tried turning texture res. down a notch?

8. Daim

Daim New Member

he has 2 gb of ram m8

9. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

:oops: Thanks, it was kinda a knee jerk response. Everywhere I read about BF2 you see, get over a gig. of system memory, get over a gig. of system memory... Does turning down texture resolution help? I remember this was a problem with COD when everyone had 128 MB video cards and you needed a 256 MB video card to enjoy high res. textures or suffer stuttering.

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I have an X850XTPE with 2gb of ram and it stutters... Crap game :(

11. zerra

zerra Bikini Bottom Member

got the same stutters (only) with bf2 and f.e.a.r; and only with the x850xt and my old x800 card. maybe its a driver problem or gamecode... with my 2nd card 9800 pro the stutters at fear are gone.

12. Mr Cairo

can turn the game gfx right down to 800x600 and all settings on low shadows off ( which kind of makes the point of having a XTPE redundant ) and the left right stutter is still there

this is a diffrent stutter than the one people get at the start of a map or first time they load the game :(

13. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

I see you have an audigy card. well so I have and i had stuttering mostly when entering the game.
    I found a lot of improvement after I followed the instructions at this page:

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3256

Made a huge difference for me. Eax is still not working great, but stuttering was gone

check it out

14. NeoB!te

NeoB!te New Member

Get a new video card, and all your problems will be solved.

15. zerra

zerra Bikini Bottom Member

2 damaged x8xx ?
    i think no, man.

got new ram, a new mobo, a new x850, a new psu ; stutters still there.
    but only in fear (some hard frame drops) and bf2 (sometimes).
    all other games (doom3,hl2,farcry etc) and benches/demos like Atis Dangerous Curves ,3dmark05 and so on runs like hell and without stutters.

btw. got a audigy2 too... but without the card the stutters always there.

16. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I do have a new video card dude.... Read the posts mine owns yours.

Anyways patje, that would seem actually like a good idea. I might just try that but somehow, in fear and bf2, the stuttur seems more texture orientated than sound (unlike in colin mcrae 2005) but will give it a try.

17. Mr Cairo

once again this is not the stuttering that people expirience when joining the game i have followed all those leads to no end

i could theoretically play as long as i wanted on a server with absolute smoothness with most settings on high just so long as in game if im on foot i do not look left and right with the mouse

i didnt post every single thing i did here as the post would be huge but i have changed my soundcard ... originaly had a hercules gamesurround and the problem wqas present there as well so i dont think its soundcard related i have tried the fixes for the audigy as well

18. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Is the stuttering problem just in the full retail? Reason is I just installed the Demo and played with no problems or stuttering at all moving side to side and look turning. In fact the game ran pretty darn good. Haven't bought the game yet because I need to reserve a day to set the controls the way I like them on the keyboard :rolleyes: .

19. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

i see, well in that case, i have absolutely no idea anymore. have you tried different resolutions? or what about v-sync? have you disabled or enabled it?

probably you have, but these are just final resort attempts to help

20. Mr Cairo

never tried the demo went straight for the full game .. will have to download and try the demo ... not sure how it will help though :(

Vsync on and off and every res and monitor refresh rate has been tried .. its kinda why im 95% convinced its a driver/game issue nothing i can physically do on my pc solves it and several people have the same prob

the only common thing is the prob seems to exsist on only X800 x850 and 6800 cards ( and before peeps say i dont have this prob and i have that card i know it doesnt affect everybody just some ) just seems to be high performance cards :(

hopefully the next set of drivers and the bf patch will help :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005