BIOSTAR GK3 good mech kb for starters?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by moabiouz, Mar 21, 2017.

1. moabiouz

moabiouz New Member

I've been searching for affordable mechanical keyboards and found this.

BIOSTAR GK3

[​IMG]

Price is under $50
    It has blue switches
    Build is nice with LED backlit
    Dust-proof and spill proof.

I am totally new to mechanical keyboards and I would
    Iike to ask if this would be a good starter mech kb for
    budget-conscious users like me. Thanks!

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

2 things: 1) Outemu switches have a louder click to their Black and Blue switches than any other manufacturer, even original Cherry's, but they are smoother to type with (almost as good as the original Cherry Black switches from years back, very smooth, not stiff), and 2) it's a fake RGB back-lighting. Each row is a solid color, and never changes those colors. If you're ok with that, then I'd say why not.

Edit: Oh, if you can, see if you can take a look at the board before you buy it. I've seen pics of the board without the key caps on, and my first impression is that the switches are recessed below the top plate. If that is the case, then I would pass on it. Because the top plate is metal, if you bottom out the keys, they will hit the top plate, and you will hear hard plastic hitting metal. That, on top of an already loud click from the switches, in an open air design, very loud. I've seen this before with a keyboard from Lingbao. Stupid loud.

Personally I like quiet, so I tend to go with Brown switches. For a cheap board I'd go for Velocifire. I have their VM01, a 104 key keyboard for work. They also have the TKL01, a tenkeyless version. Both of these boards use Kailh Brown switches, btw. They also make a Blue switch VM30 (also a 104 key) for the same price.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. moabiouz

moabiouz New Member

Thanks for the inputs. Yes the sound it makes actually made me interested in getting one. I dont find it annoying though.
    About the back-lighting, yes I dont think it's an RGB one. Im cool with that since it will surely made it more expensive.

I appreciate the suggestions, will check if there's available locally.