Blu-Ray player?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am thinking of buying a not expensive dedicated blu-ray player for the living room where I plan to do most of my movie watching. The TV there is not a 4K TV so while I do own some 4K movies, it's not really something I currently looking to buy.
    I can survive 1080p for a couple more years.

Anything in particular I should be careful of, avoid?

I found an interesting looking player by Panasonic.
    The main reason I like it is the color (yes) as it is the only one sold around here that isn't black.

https://www.panasonic.com/de/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-set-top-box/player/dmp-bdt168.html

This is the site, in German, but you don't really need to speak German to figure out what it says.

I can find it for under 90 euros.

The model (in case you don't click on the link) is Panasonic DMP-BDT168

In case anyone wonders, yes I have an Xbox One, a PS4 and a PS3 which all can play movies, but I don't want to risk damaging the optical drive from too much usage.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

considering that blue ray players are a dime a dozen and the modern wallmart special... As you already stated though, you've a console... and considering their intended usage, provided it's kept clean, the mechanics of those drives are arguably far superior to that of a stand alone bluray player. The only exception would be the very expensive models, we're talking in the range of $250-500+ dollar players.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Still there is always wear and tear, so I rather just eventually need to replace a dedicated player, than a console (or an optical drive of a console).
    I can find players for almost half the price of this one, but they are all black. I am sick of black color. SICK. Give me color damn it!

4. Judas

then you've already got your choice made...

Trusteft likes this.
  5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I keep meaning to buy a 2nd one myself, so I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread in case someone has some actual useful advise.

all I can offer is that the Sony one I bought years ago sees a lot of use and still works absolutely perfectly :)
    (it is of course however, black..)

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Judas

I've a number of bluray players still in use today that are from back when bluray players first launched, that work just fine. And some of them see next to 8 hours of steady use a day... without any issues. Meanwhile there are similar models or some brands that have died within weeks or months or just a few years.... so it's next to impossible to really say one way or another.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

I considered getting a cheaper model, but with shipping etc, the price difference was too small to not go with this model. I just ordered it.
    Thank you for your input.