Bluetooth Audio Sync only works in one direction

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by M0nk3m4n, Jul 2, 2017.

1. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Hi fellas. Okay so hopefully somebody can help me out on this... I've got a desktop (ASUS Rampage III Extreme) with onboard Bluetooth and a Dell Latitude E6410 with bluetooth as well. Now, both of them have the option to play audio to or from the other PC or device that is connected. In this case, I have the two PCs connected for anytime I want to use the laptop and still play music through my surround receiver. Problem is, the audio sync only seems to want to work in the opposite way. Desktop's audio coming out the laptop speakers. In the past, this worked fine. Both systems are still using the same OS (post-clean install on at least one since I last had them set up this way) I've checked the Windows 7 audio settings on each PC, and they both seem to be set up properly; but when the laptop's supposedly outputting music to the desktop via BT, none of the desktop's audio sources are showing any activity, nor making any sound. Despite that, the desktop claims to be connected to the AudioSink service and tells me everything's working properly. I'm just stumped. If anybody can give me some pointers, I'd be very thankful. -Doug

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You have checked basic settings, right? I mean if you have a device muted in the mixer and/or whatever audio driver you are using.
    I don't have any experience with using BT in this way.

3. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Haha, yeah unfortunately I checked all of the normal stuff. It's all set properly. I really don't have much hope of finding the solution. It's a pretty left-field sort of set-up. The only reason I'd expect anybody to know is that Phone-to-Bluetooth PC seems somewhat common and it would likely work the same way.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Windows 7 doesn't need the Windows Mobile Device Center installed, right? That was only for Vista?

One other question: are both using the same kind of Bluetooth adapter? Basically, the same manufacturer, and/or same Bluetooth adapter?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Hmm, no I don't believe it does. I've never had to install it to make it work before and I'd suspect if it was needed it wouldn't work in either direction.
    Nope, they're different. I wouldn't figure that'd matter either since it worked the last time I set all of this up with the same adapters.

The Rampage III Extreme uses a Toshiba somethin' or other bluetooth device and the E6410 uses a Dell somethin-somethin Bluetooth Adapter 375.
    Appreciate the input, though. I expect this is one of those issues that is so specific to my exact configuration that I'd need to just format both PCs and start fresh. Not much point in that for a relatively unnecessary convenience like this though, I suppose. Range is pretty limited anyway...

Of course if anybody happens to know exactly what to do if there is something I can do and wants to share...lol, that would be awesome too.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You mention that, "Both systems are still using the same OS (post-clean install on at least one since I last had them set up this way)..."... does that mean at least one has had the OS reinstalled/reimaged?

The reason for asking about the chips is because Windows 7 doesn't have all the necessary components for streaming Bluetooth. Specifically, A2DP. The manufacturer was, at the time, responsible for adding proper support for it into their drivers for Windows 7. Since you mentioned that at least one of the systems has had it's setup/OS redone, what I'm thinking is that you may need to update the drivers from the chip manufacturers website, or if you haven't, update off of the machines manufacturers website at the very least as it's possible that the system giving you grief requires an updated driver. You could also check the section in Windows Update for "Other" updates to see if an updated driver for the Bluetooth adapter shows up. Right off the top of my head I know that the Rampage III E driver on Asus' website is very old. Something like version 7.10 or such while the latest (or last) driver I recall is more like version 9.10, so it could be worth looking into.

7. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Yeah I did a clean install on the laptop since the time they were both working but I mean...I don't see why it would need extra software (or a different version) if it's able to send audio flawlessly from the desktop to the laptop, just not vise versa (when the option clearly has two separate buttons for which direction you want to send/play sound) Still, I will check to see if I have the latest drivers on both of them. I'm thinking it's also possible I just haven't configured something right such as the security of the devices and all. Possible that the desktop won't allow incoming audio because I failed to set up a bluetooth COM port or something. I'll see if I can check into that as well. Thanks again for the help.