Bluray player for Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Trusteft, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Any suggestions for one?
    I have only PowerDVD 12 which lately just refuses to work as I keep getting message that I need to download the free patch, which I do and still doesn't work properly. I am sick of it.
    I don't want to pay for a newer version from the same company, so, any other available, free preferably but I guess not free would do too.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Leawo

My first choice. Completely free. I've been installing it on client machines for a while now. Use it myself too.

Another would be 5KPlayer (aka. DAPlayer). Also free. Can't recall if it plays BR discs, but it does DVDs. Although I haven't used it, there's also PotPlayer, which is from the KMPlayer dev.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. Trusteft

Why have I never heard of this before? (Leawo). Thank you, I assume it is safe, right?

4. Tipstaff

So far so good on my end. I only use it for DVD and Blu Ray though. Everything else I use MPC for, so when it asks about supporting other formats (such as mp3, mkv, and so on) I said no.

5. Trusteft

I tried it, fail. I tried two movies, one was alien covenant and the other rear window. The first never started playing, even though the software showed me the preview icon to choose it. I waited and waited for about 5 min and the movie wouldn't start, the optical disc would spin and spin. The second managed to show me the company name video/logo and nothing after that, like it couldn't read the next part or something.
    Just to make sure, I tried powerdvd and it played rear window just fine. Unfortunately powerdvd12 doesn't play alien covenant.

6. Tipstaff

Hmm... I was just watching John Wick on it. Mind you... Windows 10, no PowerDVD installed, and using an LG drive.

I don't have Alien Covenant to try (only have it digitally), but I think I have Rear Window around here...

Oh.. might have an idea. Normally the players region is set to auto. You could try manually setting it to your region, which is B, right? You could also try changing the render method. Again, normally auto, but you could try forcing DXVA, or switch it to software. If you set it to DXVA you could also try unchecking DXVA2 use.

7. Tipstaff

Rear Window seems to work here. Leads to me think it could be a setting in the player, or PowerDVD even that's messing it up.

Capture001.JPG

BTW, 2 things that I know won't work: 3D Blu Ray, and BD Live. The latter is a mystery. Also, some movies have issues playing their menus. John Wick is a perfect example. Leawo goes straight to the movie as it's menu system doesn't work on the player (some stupid MPAA restriction or such).

Edit: btw, which version did you download? 32bit or 64bit? I might try it on a Win8.1 system I have here.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

/me has been using VLC for a few years with full bluray support for free.

9. Tipstaff

He'll need to keep updating the keys databases though (which I think was last updated in March), but I guess that'd work.

VLC Player

Keys Database and AACS files

10. Trusteft

I followed the instructions, I keep getting this error in vlc VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///H:\'

11. Trusteft

I just tried leowowowow again and I changed the rendering setting from auto, it appears that at least rear window runs, though the performance is lackluster, at points the whole thing lags a bit.
    I will try alien covenant later or tomorrow.

12. Tipstaff

When you clicked the download link for VLC, did you do so via the arrow on the right of the button? The default is to download the 32bit version when you click the button. Hitting the arrow allows you to download various installers, including the 64bit version.

Capture0003.JPG

BTW, maybe Judas can confirm this, but the reason I don't use VLC is because it doesn't, or didn't support discs that have BD+ drm protection. It'll only play non-protected, and AACS protected discs (with supported key file). Not sure if that's changed though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i couldn't say... I've seen moved onto 4k UHD discs which don't exactly have playback support at all really, and frankly the paid for products out there have burnt me so bloody hard i've paid WAY too much money just to end up running into issues.

The few blurays i have, the newer ones at least... appeared to play in vlc just fine, though i generally avoid the menus and whatnot, and just load the proper playlist directly.

I spent a massive amount of energy ripping every bluray to drive though with all the drm stripped so i've not actually inserted a bluray for quite some time outside of the ones i tests for customers.

14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems with PowerDVD12 whatsoever on Windows 7 64bit. My options are few since I absolutely want to be able to play 3D movies. Originally I got PowerDVD10 and eventually got it upgraded to 11 and 12 after support ended for each version. Don't know if it will continue like this but so far I haven't had a moview that failed to play.

Of course, I can always do it on my PS4 but I'd rather have my HTPC handle all media.

15. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Oh, just one thing. What Blu-Ray reader do you have? Have you checked for an updated firmware to it?

I once had some problems with a new movie and after updating the firmware in my BD-writer it worked perfectly.

16. Tipstaff

According to Leawo, the player needs Internet access
    Actually, that's a good idea. I have an LG WH14NS40 which, no matter when you bought it, always came with firmware 1.00. The last firmware for it was 1.03 back in 2014.