Bootable DVD to USB

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Takaharu, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Recently, I had to try and track down a decent method to copy the contents of a recovery DVD (specifically an OEM Windows 8.1) to USB.

The problem is that when you search around for a method you get method after method that tells you how to make a bootable USB from an existing ISO image (sometimes how to make the ISO image too) using the Windows 7 USB creator.
    While that's all well and good, the issues arise when you need to make an ISO in the first place; most of the software that I've come across is unreliable and I don't want to pay for one-use software.

This is where I came across an impressive chap by the name of Omar Shahine, who had posted a solution that uses no third-party software. FANTASTIC!

1. Get a fast 4GB or larger USB Thumbdrive.

2. Run cmd.exe and enter the following commands followed by Enter

1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk 1 (select your disk from the list in step 2)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. select partition 1
    7. active
    8. format fs=ntfs quick
    9. assign
    10. exit
    11. bootsect.exe /nt60 F: (where F: is the drive letter of your USB drive as reported by the assign command in step 9.)

3. Copy the Windows sources from the CD or other source using robocopy

Code:
    robocopy.exe E:\ F:\ /MIR

where E:\ is the source and F:\ is the destination (thumbdrive)

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

with step 11. I get the error:

Could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects: Access is denied

Edit: DOH, don't forget to run CMD as an administrator...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Two notes:

1) The format MUST be FAT32 if you use UEFI

2) You don't need to do any of the diskpart stuff, really, so long as the drive is a compatible filesystem. Just Bootsect and copy the files.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I installed Windows 8.1 from an old USB stick. It isn't even a proper USB drive, it's just a SD card from my old w810i phone plugged into an adapter :eek:

All I did was open the ISO with winrar and then copy the contents directly to the drive. Installed fine, only issue I had was that my motherboard would not see the drive if I attempted to boot into UEFI so I couldn't install in UEFI mode. The drive is FAT32 formatted.

5. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

You never actually turn off UEFI mode on the motherboard, you just turn on one or more hardware compatibility "modules" which let things run better. Depending on the header of the hard drive, you may or may not still be using UEFI boot, but since you didn't bootsect the 'flash drive', you definitely installed the OS via UEFI, which I'm pretty sure means your hard drive is too...