[Build Log] Project Ozone

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Mousey, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Complete with it's own seemingly non-sensical name, is my new rig, project Ozone :D
    I won't keep up the teasing, let's get to the good stuff;

Justification and Reasoning
    The long and short of it is that this rig is being built (it's not done yet) during my changeover from AMD to Intel. For about 3 years i was running an FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad Core CPU from AMD running on the Bulldozer architecture. As awesome as the price to performance is for them, They run incredibly hot, hot to the point of thermal shutdowns during video rendering for Deadly Llama, which you don't need me to tell you; sucks.

So the parts were ordered, and here's the new spec list :)
    CPU - i5 4690K Devil's Canyon CPU, 3.5GHz Quad Core Stock (will be overclocking at some point)
    MoBo - MSI Z97S SLI Plus, I don't need all the features you get on a RoG Board and tbh i'm not a massive overclocker, i just like knowing there's some headroom for performance rather than trying to smash my head through said headroom limit.
    GPU - GALAX GeForce GTX980, Yes! Not only did i drop AMD CPUs, i also dropped their GPUs because of the same reason, again can't fault the price to performance but when it comes to NVIDIA, I benefit from the CUDA acceleration when i'm making videos in Premiere. So that alone coupled with the sheer power this thing's got was an easy sell.
    Memory - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1333MHz DDR3 (Will be upgrading to 32GB at some point in the future and overclocking this memory)

Enough reasons, Moar Pictures!

Day 0 - Waiting for Parts
    So whilst i was waiting for my hardware to arrive after some to-ing and fro-ing and a few problems with stock from OCUK i decided to occupy my time by learning how to plastidip some of the drive bay covers for the finished product :)
    Cover 2.jpg
    Cover 2.jpg
    Rig Front.jpg

Day 1 - PARTS ARRIVED!!
    COMMENCE THE CHOIR SONG!!
    Box unopen.jpg
    box open.jpg

So of course i've never done a water loop at all, like ever so the best thing i thought to do was do a "dry run" (filled with coolant, hue) and figure out how everything works and how tight everything needs to be before it goes ANYWHERE NEAR my rig.

Dem cloudy tubes! Had the pump up at full whack just to see what happens
    Cloudy full.jpg

These CPU blocks are so sexy i love them
    cpu block.jpg

Dem Rads doe!
    rad.jpg

rad.jpg

Additional artistic shot of my horrific tube labelling which left a nice sticky residue i had to clean off
    tube.jpg

Damn these bay'res kits are sexy
    res.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mousey

Day 2 - Fitted Leak Test
    Nothing to see here and the photos turned out crappy so skipping to day 3!
    I forgot, i filmed a video of the bleeding process! Here it is;

Day 3 - New Coolant!
    So if you noticed in the open box shot, there was no coolant in there, turns out OCUK forgot to send me it (d'oh), so it was a good job i had 5 litres of deionised water i'd already picked up in advance to flush my rads with, because it was only being used for a few days whilst i waited for the new coolant i didn't need to bother with any anti corrosive or kill coil additives (which is good because i didn't have any, hue hue).

Then the new coolant arrived, woohoo!
    Drained the loop straight away, drained out all the De-Ionised water (which was a good job, it had a few copper chunks left over from the rad in there) and replaced it with this seriously sexy Mayhems Pastel Ice White :D i'm practically milk cooled :D
    DSC03005.jpg

Here's how the bottom of the case is looking since i added the acrylic PSU Cover, Considering it was a random scrap bit i only eyeballed up for size at work, i'd say i did a pretty good job! Cleaner, cut to measure version coming soon
    DSC03005222.jpg

Here's how the front's looking with everything installed and powered on, no the rig isn't wonky i just took the photo at a wonky angle (also bottom right is shadow not the case colour)
    front shot.jpg

Also decided that the Blue LED strip i added into the case absolutely forever ago (it's been there so long it's gone rigid) was too over powering so i went to remove it, then i had a bit of a brainwave and decided maybe i should remount it instead for a cool effect when i'm at Insomnia...
    strip move.jpg

Next up over the coming weeks/months is a GPU block for the 980, i'll be hunting for a MOSFET block and more LED Lighting work!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    IvanV, Takaharu and Calliers like this.
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Looking good so far!

Mousey likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Looks sweet man!

Mousey likes this.
  5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

excellent

Mousey likes this.
  6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

very nice, I like it.

7. Mousey

Mini-Project 1 - Custom RGB Lighting
    Many thanks to my mate Davido_Labido over on the OCuK Forums who showed me how to put this super nifty little contraption together, you can check out his amazing build H2Orange here which features the same setup (and a MUCH more complex water setup!), go take a look it's awesome.

So basically i wanted white LED Lighting but i wasn't quite sure whether i wanted white or blue more, rather than buying 2 LED Strips and swapping them out or rigging up a switch, Dave (davido_labido) turned me onto an idea he uses in his rig which is buy the cheap RGB LED Strips you'd ordinarily use to light up a room and rig up a molex to it.
    To get it all running was actually incredibly easy, basically check what voltage your transformer uses to power the lights (12v in this case) and hack up a spare molex connector to match, i grabbed a spare old daisy-chain cable i had lying around, hacked the male end off it and soldered the yellow wire (which is 12v, red is 5v) to the DC "Barrel" fitting's wires (only a red and a black, live and ground) and voila! instant, cheap, cost effective RGB Lighting, just for the love of christ either bundle the connections up in electrical tape or heatshrink them or you get some pretty nutty sparks flying when it hits metal (or so i've been warned, mine's practically mummified in electrical tape).

PEEKCHURES!
    Goes a rather lovely Turquoise/Cyan
    IMG_0153.JPG

And a nifty few shades of green
    IMG_0154.JPG

And orange :D
    IMG_0152.JPG

And of course the white i wanted :D
    img_0156.jpg

Here's the remote that lets me change the colour, brightness and a few effects like flashing colours, cycling through, breathing ect
    img_0157.jpg

And a nifty shot of the strip itself
    img_0158.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy a LED light bulb that does just that, just waiting for the store to get them in. Gonna use it for lighting up the back of my desk and monitor though. :)

9. Mousey

depending on how much you've got left at the end you could probably make another strip for your rig :D I've still got at least 4 and a half meters left of this stuff, tempted to get another transformer and make it into lighting for my desk as well

10. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Nah, it's not a strip. It a light bulb, looks like this.

[​IMG]

11. Mousey

So oZone got a little upgrade tonight... many, many MANY months after i said i was gonna do it xD mini log coming soon :)
    [​IMG]