Buying a laptop for my friend budget is 700 dollars

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Calliers, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Ok, so I'm buying a laptop for my friend this Christmas, she knows so we're picking it out together. I would just like some advice on which brand to go for, my budget is no more than 700 CAD or 525 USD. She lives in the States right now so that is important, I'll most likely be buying it from Newegg.com or Amazon.com. I was thinking an Acer? They are good value for money. But I've been seeing some good Dells too.

I'm not making the purchase until around end of this month to beginning of January as I want to take advantage of boxing day sales and new year sales so we have time to discuss it.

She'll be doing some light gaming on it (League of Legends, that type of thing) and browsing/watching videos/listening to music. She already has a PS4 for her gaming needs.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Asus's X/K series 500's are about the best... i would HIGHLY recommend you stick to the intel iGPU models only.... no discrete amd/nvidia.

Either an i3/i5 of the 5xxx or 6xxx .. though i've heard the 7xxx kabylakes are floating about.... though i doubt many are in good supply just yet.

So long as the onboard igpu is a 5500 (intel i3/i5 5xxx cpus).... or the 530 idealy... the 520 and 620 are still sufficient for LoL though since the game isn't graphically demanding and since for anything to run any noticably better than the iGPU intel provides, you have to spend a significant amount more to make it worth while otherwise it's basically a waste to get one with lower end discrete nvidia/amd. (switchable graphics is PURE SHIT STILL)

I haven't sold a laptop for quite some time... instead due to the way the supplier and wholesalers seem to getting treated.... most of the only laptops i can get my hands on are excessively higher end and overpriced.... anything cheaper are pretty slim for picking and usually bad choice of components (not likely to live long for many of them)... The more i investigated, the more i found that several contracts have been signed with big box store retailers, specially through amazon and the like, that have eaten up the selection making it near impossible to even special order without paying more for it from a wholesaler than it is to just go to amazon and buy it for the full price and associated taxes plus shipping.

However, instead i've been directing people to retail box stores to pick through their asortment of models...... and then buy whichever one fits their criteria the best (they usually will call me).... from there if they wish, they will bring me the laptop and i'll usually wipe all the bullshit off it and do a clean install along with newer firmware/bios updated.... about 50% of the time they will get me to swap the internal drive for a SSD, paying the extra money for the SSD obviously along with the labour involved. Sadly so many new laptops are NOT designed to have neither the memory or hardrive easily replaced, in fact most of them don't even give you the ability to remove the battery... they keep making them so thin and flimsy, that any structural weakness like a removable hardrive/memory access plate on the bottom is critical. I've lost count of the complaints i've either had to deal with OR overheard where people are sick of HOW damn thin they are, it's even hard to handle them and they are far more prone to damage than the thicker models with a backbone instead of a unibody.

Even new, pulling the plate around the keyboard and then the keyboard up has a high chance of snapping some of the flimsy plastic pressure clips trying to pry it apart, the older it is and the longer it's ran, the more petrified and likely to break these clips making reassembly far more difficult. Lets also not forget that disassembly attempts usually result in scuffs/scratches and nicks in the soft plastic which isn't cosmetically appealing (and for the most part cannot be avoided using the right tools).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Calliers likes this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Also looking for a laptop for a friend and its wierd but most of the cheaper laptops only seem to have 32GB of physical storage on an SSD I am actually finding it hard to get one with 250 GB and a RoM drive (friend specified a rom drive his work still uses a lot of physical media)

Finally found one on TESCO site but its near on a £100 moere than they want to spend ... I might just look into getting a 32GB drive and advise a cheap SSD upgrade at a later date

I might be mad but honestly no one seems to want proper laptops any more its all Surface pros that can become Tablets etc

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Yeah Mr Cairo and Judas, they just don't make 'em like they used too. *sigh*

Thanks for the advice Judas, will definitely take that into account.

5. relishape

relishape New Member

Acer and Dell are both good laptops but the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series is an excellent entry level a gaming laptop.

6. Sheila Wade

Sheila Wade New Member

You can go With Dell!