cant run BF2

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dark Lord, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i tried reinstalling BF2 so i could play project reality, but i cant seem to get the game to launch.

the splash screen comes up and then it acts as if its loading, but then the whole thing just shuts down. no errors displayed.

in the event viewer it shows 2 errors,
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

and The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.

ive installed the game a couple different times, and installed it on 2 different drives, but i get the same error each time.

im not really sure how to go about even trying to troubleshoot this one.

2. Dark Lord

3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

this is the dvd version? & all patches applied?

those 2 errors appear each time you launch it? is punkbuster installed & working?

4. Dark Lord

its the cd version and ive tried it with both no patches and all patches. punkbuster though... i never even thought of that. i had it set to disabled in msconfig. ill give it another go tomorrow afternoon and see if that makes any difference.

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

...well if it's a pb game, it demands pb to be on (usually at least.. for 2142 EADM version for sure, ETQW is fine with it off but wont go online)

if the 2 pb processes bother you, dont disable the services, set to manual, then when you're done playing, stop the service, it will restart when you play again

manual mode is better than automatic since when it's set to automatic, it starts up on windows load

6. Dark Lord

still didnt work even with PB turned on.

7. Jeremy of Many

Jeremy of Many New Member

Sounds like your Windows installation is hosed.
    Try backing up your data and reformatting then try again.

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

uhh, i don't think it's a windows issue if this is happening with just one particular game. the OP has not specifically mentioned anything else in regards to his OS.

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Try disabling antivirus and firewall. Uninstall, reboot, make sure both anti virus and firewall are off, install, try to play.

Can you try installing the game on another PC to rule out problematic disc?

10. Dark Lord

didnt think this thread was still going. i gave up messing around with it long ago.

everything else runs and installs fine, so the OS is fine. i dont have any anti virus or firewalls installed either. just spybot and a hardware firewall in my router thats been there for the last 6 years or so. so theres no conflicts from that either.

i was actually going to install it on my parents computer and see if i could get it to at least load. id have to double check, but im not sure if their system even mets the minimum requirements.

11. Fr4nk3nst41n

Fr4nk3nst41n New Member

i had this exact problem.

open the video.con config file and change the VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme to 1

it seems that the video detection routine is bogus and it sets on some settings unsupported by your video card