Chkdsk error

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

ok, long generic test/scan failed on both drives the old 3.5 inch and the new 2.5 inch. (both external).
    The old is out of warranty, but the new one is not.
    I bought it from Amazon UK back in May. Should I contact Amazon or directly Seagate?

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Contact Amazon first.. That is who you bought it from..

EDIT: I have had the odd argument with one or two stores about returns who have tried to pass on the issue to the maker... BY the UK regulations if it's under Warranty then it is up to the Store to replace the faulty item.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

ok, done chatting with an Amazon representative. I don't know if it was me or him, but my god that was tiresome. I kept trying to explain to him that the address he was using was my old address and it took like 30 minutes to finally tell me that he can't change the invoice/customs address for the label.
    So on Monday I am supposed to ship a package with a different FROM address and Customs label address. This will be fun!

At least they are shipping a new replacement drive and apparently they will also reimburse me for the shipping costs if I send them a copy of the receipt.

BTW, funny thing, I started the chat telling him exactly what I did, the error messages, the software I used, etc, only to have him ask "have you formatted the drive?"

Anyway, I am not in my best of moods so perhaps it's all my fault.
    Let's hope this ends well on Monday.

As for the other drive, since it is out of warranty I guess I will just have to forget it.
    Quite interesting though, no Seagate drives failed on me since the mid 90s and now 2.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it was bound to happen.... just on the fact of statistical likelihoods, mostly down to the fact that they have the WORST failure rates of any brand last i checked.

5. Trusteft

When do you think 5TB SSDs will come down in price of HDDs?

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

considering how quickly ssd's have started dropping we might see 4TB drives available in around the $300 dollar range in about 3 years maybe.

7. Trusteft

Replacement drive arrived. First few checks passed.
    Having said that, the packaging Amazon used is just horrifying. I am glad it apparently survived the trip.