CompUSA closing more than half of its stores

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: TG Daily
    CompUSA, a major computer and electronics retailer, is closing more than half of its United States stores in the next couple of months. The company will shut the doors on 126 out of the 225 stores that it operates in the United States and Puerto Rico.

2. blown503

blown503 New Member

It says because of a price war between them and bestbuy and circuit city. Man they are smoking krack. Best buy and circuit citys prices are high. I hate to shop at both of these over priced stores.

3. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Consolidation is going to be the end result, I fear. Best Buy bought up a string of things, and CompUSA may end up going out of business in the end.

Just Circuit City and Best Buy, I guess.

The move to online purchases must be just killin' the profit margin on the brick and mortar stores.

This cut is incredibly dramatic. It could be a last gasp effort for survival.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I used to love shopping at CompUSA. But, they made several changes in operations a couple of years ago and I just don't find it appealing to go through their store anymore. It used to be one of those I had to visit every week as I made rounds to Micro Center and others. But, I think I've only been inside the local one 3 or 4 times in the last year.

So, I'm not really surprised at this news.

I remember when I was kind of miffed at them for buying out Computer City but I still liked them....for a while.

5. Zelig

Zelig New Member

I would buy locally if prices were comparable, but it makes no sense to when I can order new goods online, and even after shipping and 14% tax, they end up cheaper than the same parts locally even before taxes are factored in.

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Well, I did my part. I overpaid for quite a bit at the local CompUSA stores (there were at least 3 of them, apparently all going to close) and paid my taxes. I tried to help keep them in business.

Still, it is a bummer. I liked going in to the store and trying out different types of hardware before buying. I could mess with LCD screens, mice, keyboards, MP3 players, cameras, cases, etc. It was very convenient.

I really will miss having those stores around. :(

7. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

the one by me is also closeing.

seeing as my cd burner looks like its dieing on me, im gonna head over tehre this weekend and see if i can pick up a nice dvd burner on markdown.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

yep. but it's hard to be competitive when your compitition doesn't have to pay nearly as much for facility costs, employee costs, utilities, insurance, theft of product etc etc etc.

I love to shop online when I know what I want, but it sucks when you've done all your research on a product and still have one or three options that are all comperable and you want to get "hands on" with each to make a final decision. Can't do that online (yet!) and it sucks for the stores when you walk in, check em all over & make a decision then walk out without buying and go home & get it for 25% less than the store was asking...

Ah well.
    WalMart killed the mom & pop & the net is gonna kill brick & mortar stores. :tears:

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Good news though, if they follow the same trend as the one did out here they will have an awesome close out sale where yo ucan get most things for 30-40% off.

10. Zelig

Zelig New Member

Except the store I order all my computer parts from online actually has retail locations on the other side of the country. Shouldn't be too hard for stores here to do the same thing.

11. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

Ah what fond memories I have of CompUSA. Standing in line, more than once, at Black Friday.. Buying my 9800pro there for a measley 400 bux, at the time. Just going in a browsing.. Too bad they didn't get a clue and stock/sell high quality overclocking parts.

12. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Heh our first comptuer ever was an 386 lol that cost us 2grand back in 1990 lol it was from compusa funny thing is I we have recited for it still. I did buy my graphics card x700pro from them online for 200 bucks 3 years ago it's kinda sad see them go.

13. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I also liked how they stocked those CompUSA brand mousepads and wrist rests. Cheaper than most but worked just fine.

Still a bummer. :(

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I also heard on DigitalLifeTV 70 Circuit City stores are closing too.

15. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

70 US stores? How many do they have total? Around 600 or so right?

16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I just confirmed tonight that the CompUSA near me is among those closing. It's a sad end to a once great tech store.

17. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

So I saw the national ad and went in the store thinking I'd give 'em a few more bucks as a nice little gesture. I take the ad to the back counter, say "Hey, I'd like to get this memory for my iMac" It was like $79 per gig after $20 rebate. Wanted 2 sticks.

Dude says to me that they don't honor any of the national ads and it will be $129.99 per stick if I wanted to get it. I was like "Huh?" and I asked to see the manager to confirm and he was like "he's gone - he quit as soon as he found out and took a job somewhere else"

Had a bummer attitude, the guy did. I was gonna be a bit torqued, but I felt bad for the whole situation. All I could do was just leave. I ordered the stuff direct from Corsair instead of getting the PNY brand. It cost more, but I didn't have to pay tax, so it evens out.

Still - it sucked. :(