Controlling AC97 properly

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Kero, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Kero

Kero New Member

Hi everybody !

User of a SBLive! 5.1 (SB0102 [d400]), I'd like to get a particular control of the AC97 stuff. Here is what I need :

- Ability to get sound in my headphones AND recorded (shoutcast use).
    - And also, ability to have AC97 volume raised or decreased directly from Windows driver for my headphones AND for recoring (once again, this is so that I can do it directly from shoutcast winamp plugin - makes it easier for radio broadcasting). For now I can only succeed in having it controlled for my headphones, but the record is the same no matter what I do, except if I go directly into kX mixer and modify it right there, but its definitely not something I can do when broadcasting.
    - All this without losing the ability to use some plugins like the 10 bands EQ or the expander for AC97 only (shouldn't be such a problem I guess).

Thanks in advance.
    Kero.

2. Kero

Kero New Member

For those who might have the same problem, I've found a solution, based on the default configuration. It works for me, for the use I'm doing of my computer, it may not work for you, depending on your configuration and use of your audio soundcard. Test it by yourself.

Use the default configuration, except that:
    Instead of sending prolog-AC97 to xrouting, put your effects plugins and send then send the last effect to a "Stereo Mixer" plugin.
    Instead of sending the recL and recR of Xrouting to the RecL/RecR of epilog, send FrontL/FrontR of Xrouting to the same "Stereo Mixer" than above.
    Then, send your "Stereo Mixer" to RecL/RecR of + Analog Front L / Analog front R of epilog (+the other things you might want to use, such as SPDIF etc.).
    In the AC97 Configuration (in kX Mixer), set it to the one you want (DO NOT set it to "Stereo Mixer" nor "Mono Mixer" except if you want to produce some huge, awful, ugly software larsen) such as Line In or Mic In.

That's all : Now if you increase/decrease the Wave or AC97 right from the Windows Mixer, it will work both for recording (software output, used by Shoutcast or Cool Edit Pro for example) AND listening (hardware output, used by your headphones for example). It will allow you to use the "Push to talk" functionnality of Shoutcast DSP for Winamp, for example (which is what I wanted to do actually).

However, please note that this configuration will only record what goes for your FRONT speakers. If you want to record more things, like also the rear sound, just use several Stereo Mixer, it should work I guess (didnt test, tho).

Bye.
    Kero.