Coolage

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry about that. Reading back I noticed I forgot to mention this. The other fans in my list are not really intended to be used on CPU coolers, at least not on newer boards that have a 4 pin PWM CPU header. I forgot that to mention that you'd need to do some adjusting in the bios to get it to what you want. That fact that it's a 3 pin fan could be part of the problem. What you could do is check the bios under "Power" menu, go to "Hardware Monitor", and make sure "CPU Q-Fan Control" is "Enabled". If it is disable it, shut down the PC, turn it back on, and change that setting back to "Enabled". As for the profile, it is most likely set to "Standard". If so, change it to "Silent". That should help. The fan is efficient enough to cool the CPU on that setting regardless of how much you push it.

If you do notice temps get a bit out of hand after that go back in, change the profile to "Manual", and fool around with the settings there. You could use "Turbo" but that sets the fan to 90% (disabling Q-Fan support ups it to 100%). Instead I like to alter the range the fan speed will run in based on CPU temps. If I remember you should see 2 settings, each with it's own fan setting: one to do with the upper temp, which you could try setting at 60c or 70c with a listing on what percent the fan should run when the CPU hits that temp (try 100% for now, and lower it as you go), and one to do with the lower temp (set it to 40c or 50c) again with it's own fan speed setting (set it to 20%). You might have to fool around with different ranges and fan %s before you find one you like.

Oh, on a side note, don't use AI Suite to adjust fan settings. It can mess things up, and not report the proper speeds/temps after a while. Sometimes I find I have to not only uninstall it, but go back into the bios and disable/enable Q-Fan for things to work again.

And although you might not like to here this, another thing you might try is picking up a PWM fan, use it for your CPU, then replace the top fan with the Gentle Typhoon.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I think I can live with that. Any recommendations for a PWM fan?

3. Tipstaff

My 4 choices:

1) and 2) The one I mentioned before, the Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro PWM, or the Arctic F12 PWM. The difference between them is that one is a square with raised fan above the centre, which is designed to reduce or get rid of any buzzing noises from the blades and/or motor. The other is a standard square shape.

3) The Scythe Kama Flex PWM 120MM (made by Sony).

All 3 of these use Fluid Dynamic Bearings.

4) Another one for consideration is the GELID Silent 12 PWM which is a Hydro Dynamic Bearing fan. I'm really surprised by the GELID one. Pretty solid so far, and very quiet.

Of note: the Scythe Kama Flex PWM is the more expensive fan of the lot. Will probably set you back $15-20. The other 3 are, at most, $10.

4. Takaharu

Under £7 for Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro... I expected it to be more expensive.
    I enabled the Q-fan this morning and set it to silent but it still registers at around 1400 RPM and 40 degrees. I'm surprised.

For the record, I now use ASUS PC Probe and I never set any settings though the app, only through the BIOS directly.

5. Tipstaff

Woa woa! Not that one. LOL... you would have fun getting that working. LOL. That's a temp controlled case fan version. It's good, but it'll send you for a loop trying to get it working on a CPU heatsink.

It looks like they don't have stock on the F12 Pro, but that's OK. Go for THIS one, the older F12. With the F12 Pro they changed the housing slightly, but the old one works just the same. Just note that the pic might be wrong. As you can see HERE the old one was black.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    Takaharu likes this.
  6. Takaharu

Thanks, I'll give that one a go in the new year (when I have money - lol).

7. Takaharu

Come to think of it, I might just bite the bullet and go for a CoolIT water cooling kit for the processor, depending on one thing: Would the fan/rad combo fit on the top of the RV02, in place of its current 120mm?
    The fan on the ECO ALC is 120mm but obviously with the rad it's a whole other kettle of fish. Apparently, the Corsair H50 fits though...

8. Tipstaff

Good question. From what I remember that fan sits in a sort of recessed pocket, right? The thing about the ECO ALC is that it has reservoir.. best word I can use is "pouches" on 2 sides, one of which has the hoses attached. From what I remember the RV02 only has space between the fan and the mount for the PSU, so I'd have to say no... I don't think it will fit.

I'd say that if you know the Corsair H50 works, go with it, or look at the Corsair H70. The rad is the same on both. If I'm right you would have to mount it with the hoses on the side where your PSU is as this is where you have the most space in that pocket.

Edit: The Corsair is also safer to mount. The ECO uses a 3 position screw system to mount to whatever Intel socket you are using (775, 1156, and 1366), and if somehow one should move while installing the thing it won't line up with the hole. Everything will look right until you start, but then you will do what did, and screw your board.. literally. Very expensive mistake.

9. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

For the record, I know nothing about watercooling, but the H50 and H70 use different rad's. The H70's is much larger.

10. Tipstaff

The H70 is larger in depth only, but the the reservoirs are almost the same height as the H50, so it should fit (it also comes with 2 fans in a push/pull setup). Plus I've seen specs for people on other sites (including HardOCP forum) where the person had an H70 installed in an RV02 case, so it should be fine whichever one Takaharu decides.

Edit: Here you go. A review done of the H70 by HardOCP with the RV02 used as the test case. It just fits in there. They have pictures of both the H50 and H70 installed, but ignore the fan setup. I think they setup the H70 as they did for clearance, and the setup for the H50, while not unacceptable, isn't needed either. Either way it shows that both coolers work in the case.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. Takaharu

Found that one myself, Tipstaff. Definitely tempting.
    I've also found a lot of people favour the Noctua D14 over the H70, though I'm in two minds about it: on the one hand it's got a great performance but on the other hand it's got ugly colours... still, decent cooling.

What do you think - H70 or Noctua?

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

A big air cooler is surely going to have better longevity and reuseability. The water cooler is less likely to snap your motherboard though, if you move it around a lot. There's your pros and cons :p

Personally, I'd take the Noctua, but I guess it really is about personal preference with two excellent products.

13. Tipstaff

I'd rather not say which to get. Sticking with air cooling, or trying out water is a choice you need to make. Just remember the reason you started the thread: noise.

The D14 is a fantastic cooler, but just realize you will be adding 2 more fans to your system. Even though they are quiet you will still hear them, if not them you will hear the increased air being pushed/pulled through your case. Plus, you still have the top (rear) case fan to deal with (although now you can move that Scythe Gentle Typhoon up there).

With either of the Corsairs, if you go with the Corsair H50 you will be removing 1 fan, having to deal just with the fan on the rad (and if you need it to be more effective you can always add another fan to it for a push/pull setup, or replace the fan for a more efficient one). If you go with the H70, you're back to having 2 fans, but then again, both are quiet. Plus the H70 is much more efficient at cooling due to the larger rad, so the fans should stay quiet all the time.

14. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

ugly colors only matter if you have a clear side window!
    It seems to me that water cooling is more reliable but does have its dangers if a hose bursts.
    I have heard of people piping in resevoirs into their house so that there is no fans needed but this generally works better with a new house obviously.

15. Takaharu

Thanks, Tipstaff, that's good advice.

I want to add something else to the pot, seeing as though I have plenty of time to think it over: Cogage Arrow heatsink.
    It's the heatsink for the Silver Arrow with only one fan and is remarkably similar to the D14 without the Noctua fans. I'm still trying to balance aesthetics with acoustics and performance so I decided to look at the heatsinks on their own. How would that heatsink fare against the H70 and D14? I'm thinking two fans for that one; it includes one 120mm but I'm open to suggestions.

Added: I'm also considering the Corsair A70 as I've seen reviews that have placed it before the D14 in cooling and noise.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  16. Takaharu

I think I've made up my mind now. I've decided on two Akasa Apache Super Silent PWM fans in a push/pull configuration on the Hyper 212 and I'm going to move the GT to the top of the case.
    The GT, despite being at almost full speed all of the time is keeping the processor quite cool and the fan is almost inaudible. I'm hoping that two Akasa fans will do an even better job.