Court hears violent games case

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Nov 3, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

The highest court in the US hears arguments over whether children can be stopped from buying violent video games involving murder and sexual assault.

2. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Re: Court hears violent games case

Seeing as we have two different age rating schemes over here in the UK, one legal and one advisory I don't see why there are complaints over age ratings.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It is kind of strange how a child in the US can have a gun, but can't have a particular video game.

4. mac_angel

mac_angel New Member

children aren't suppose to have a gun, either, dumbass. Let alone be exposed to using an imaginary gun on people.
    People think that it's a matter of parenting problems or psychological problems what all over the world there is violence stemmed from computer and console games, ie, a teenager bashing his parents skulls in with a hammer for taking a game away from him. How come you've never heard of stuff like that 30 years ago, ie, some kid gets violent because his parents took the board game 'Sorry!' away from him. Because they aren't exposed to violence. They aren't allowed to go to the movies to see a violent movie that is rated R, they shouldn't be allowed to play the games of that nature either.

And if anyone wants to flame me for this, go ahead, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm an avid gamer and the idea of the GTA series disgusts me. I'm also a father and I don't even let my son watch violent cartoons like BayBlade or whatever.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Mac_angel, your reply was impolite, prejudiced and you completely missed the point of my previous post.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

reason this didn't happen 30 years ago because you knew that your ass would be beat to a pulp if you did any of the things children are doing now.

Spoiled rotten ignorant asshole the lot of the children are..

they want.. and cry when they do not get.

want it 5 minutes ago.. not now or soon...

7. Kojiknight

Kojiknight New Member

Yes, violent video games are the cause of all childhood violence... Children were NEVER violent before video games... and all those 'facts' like violence amongst teenagers has dropped 50% in the last 15 years (for those counting, that's about when Doom came out, and yes that is a real study that was used in the case) are totally irrelevant next to 'gut feelings' that violent videogames are bad.

Seriously... There is a whole generation of human beings who were RAISED on video games at this point... Including violent ones like Doom... Where is the increase in rape, murder, and other violent crimes?

This isn't even a NEW arguement? They tried this same crap 10 years ago, only now it actually reached the supreme court. "But the level of violent video games has increased over the last few years! We can't see the long term effects of those yet!" No, no we can't. But that arguement is a double edged sword... Where is your proof that these video games has caused an increase in violence in the long term? Where's the evidence that these games cause long term emotional harm? Where's the evidence that these types of games create murders/rapists/violent people?

The simple answer is there isn't any long term studies, and all the short term studies are contradictory...

TL:DR You can't base a major change in laws on "ifs and buts". Credible long term studies have to backup your claims. Also, parents needs to take a more active role in their kids lives :p

8. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Even if they start checking kids ID's for games I don't think it'll stop kids playing violent games. I don't think violent games make kids more violent. It's like Judas says, kids these days are spoiled through the roof.

9. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

mac_angel, was there any point in that response?

IvanV quite clearly was pointing out the inconsistency in American thinking regarding gun ownership, violence in the media and their impact on violent crimes.

Games should definitely carry age ratings because the platform is not yet mature enough to deal with complex moral questions. We are still making games like we did action movies in the 80s. Clear cut good guys and bad guys, heroes and villains and where all war crimes are committed by the nasty men and the only repurcussion they have is us in our vigilante ways, or the complete opposite where we are the bad guys and any form of repurcussion is a barrier to our enjoyment which must be removed.

But its not just games makers but its us as game players that aren't quite mature enough yet. Look at the outrage at the new MOH game because you could play as the Taliban and kill U.S forces, non-gamers were outraged that we could do it and we were outraged that people wanted to stop it. Everybody looked at it as Good Guy vs Bad Guy and not that the Taliban soldiers have good reason to be fighting in their homeland, there was no attempt to paint the story from the perspective of both sides, showing no bias and portraying them as fallable forces, just gung-ho action with us as Arnie going Commando on some evil Cuban drug lord.

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hey guys calm down. We are keeping eye on the threads in here so if you need to went some steam FWZ is for that.

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

In all honesty i still don't believe that Violent Games are behind Unsocial or violent behavior...

After all most people are are brought up by (Hopefully) Responsible parants... It's the parents who should either supervise what type and how long games are played....

Mac_angel

Can you please refrain from throwing insults about in the Hardwareheaven News Room please... The comment has hit the very front page and it makes the site look unprofessional.

Keep them to yourself or the FWZ Please.

12. Judas

Are you mad and blind?

You have any idea how violent kids were before video games..... your statics and "facts" are not only biased and slanted, scewed and every way.... but it's utterly absurd..

Violent video games do not MAKE violent people...

Your claim is as rediculious as guns killing people when it's realy just people killing people..

Quit finding a way to justified the absurdity of this case...

It's as bad as saying marijuana is a gateway drug to sex, cocain, violence and crime...

I personally grew up on video games.. i learnt to read and write on video games.... and if you were to ask any single person about me in terms of physical violence.. you'd find out quickly that i have never lifted a finger to anyone even when getting the shit kicked out of me by a group of people..

It's not video games that make violent people.... it's how people raise them, the enviroment overall they are raised in, the public and community they were raised in..

Before video games, there was less jackasses walking around due to the above mentioned factors actually being a good influence. People were able to talk to their neighbours, have small community get togethers, enjoy themselves and trust each other much more.... today most people never say a word to their neighbours, nobody trusts anyone, and people will generally do anything to get ahead quite often. And many of these people have never played video games ever.

Some people are inherantly violent too, with the amount of crap people have been infected with be it the various chemicals that are now being seen with scientific evidence as causing many mental and physical illnesses .... many of which interestingly enough made their debut about 30 years ago give or take....

So don't give me this bullshit about violent video games making people crazy..... that's absurd and utterly stupid.

13. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

My opinion is that this all boils down to a parent being involved in what their child does. There is nobody who is going to convince me otherwise. That may seem closed minded but who do young children take their queues from? Their parents. If you start early enough and build a good foundation they will carry that through when they are most impressionable and should come out with their head on straight. It's not a one time thing either. Parental involvement is a constant part of your child's life until they decide they want to leave the nest. Even then it may be a neccessity.

Back to games though, parents need to moderate the number of hours a child can play a game, CERTAINLY monitor WHAT they are playing and make sure it is age appropriate and discuss what they saw or experienced while they played.

I find that if a child is not raised in an environment where this is done then there are likely other aspects that are lacking, which a child needs in order to be able to make it through life. Not all the time but most of the time.

Flame me if you want but my son will eventually play video games and when he does he is going to play by my rules, which are clearly outlined above.

I may not agree with what Judas says sometimes but he is spot on with this. Well said.

14. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Yep, if they are under your roof, they should follow your rules. The buck always stops with the parents, whether its nature or nurture. I have no idea when we as a society stopped blaming parents for anything and blamed everything else.

15. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Maybe it's because it's easier to blame some thing than some one.

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I personally would have no issue with such a law - if a minor can't buy an R/AO rated movie without an adult purchasing it for them, why should they be able to buy an interactive video game? It won't stop kids playing the games, but it will force their parents to buy it, letting them know what the kid is playing in the process

17. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

It's true everyone's entitled to their own opinion but when you directly attack another member for voicing their opinion on the topic, You've gone too far. My advice - Think before you post, Being a Keyboard Warrrior gets you nowhere.

Besides back on topic now. The reason kids are getting into trouble and getting increasingly violent in the UK is mostly in part due to the "Political Correctness" BS We're all supposed to comply with now. We're not allowed our own holidays such as Christmas or Easter because of other cultures that find it "Offensive" (Despite i've never actually met an asian guy, chinese guy, indian guy, black guy, ect. that hates Christmas or Easter or anything) for starters.

Kids decide to rebel against being forced to be tolerant and "Loving", And the parents don't step in to smack 'em round the head and bring them back into line. Look at people my age, 18-19, Back when we were 10/12 years old, If we asked to have a game like GTA Bought for us we'd probably go home with a red face and a redder arse.
    But now i see little kids routinely jumping up and down in the local game shop begging their parents to buy the latest DLC for GTA4, And they buy it. The rating system just went completely out of the window because it was an adult that bought it and the kid just recieved another little "I can make her do what i want" re-inforcement for himself.

It's got ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with games. It's parenting. Best bet is to sternly punish your kid if they disrespect you, It'll make them think twice before they disrespect anybody else. If i was to crack a baseball bat round the head of everyone that made me feel like absolute sh!t at school, It'd be a BIG bloody mess but you see, I was disciplined, Taught respect and boundries. Don't blame the games for your lack of parenting, Get off your arse and teach them right from wrong.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  18. shaman9876

shaman9876 New Member

Mousey, just like you I have seen the younger kids doing just that screaming and yelling at their parents until the parents give in because they are scared of their child. I have even seen a kid go as far as telling their parents that they would tell their teacher that their parents hits them. And in Wisconsin (USA) it is required by law for their teacher to report it to the police. I personally think when they removed the right of the parent to discipline their child a nice smack on the XXX and I don't mean beat. All right and wrong went out the window. When that right comes back to the parent then the kids will finally be afraid of what their Mom Or Dad will do Like the old day's. Maybe then the kids will finally straighten out.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  19. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

it's not as much that the parents are scared of their kids, but that they are embarrassed by the screaming and yelling and the fastest way to stop that is by doing what they want.

as for the other thing, the protection of kids is a good thing, but they went overboard to the other side where you cant even grab the kid firmly because the bruises on the arm will get you in trouble with child services and police.

20. Judas

what's terrible is that the number of kids that have gone missing after child services have picked them up...

Frankly i would use that as a tool too.

Plus it takes the police over an hour to get here.... so in that hour.... the things i could do to my child in that time.. would make him or her regret doing whatever it was to bring em on.

I will tan an ass.... i do not care who's around if they insist on being little jackasses and demanding that which they do not need or do what they shouldn't be doing.

Usually once a week or several times a week.... sometimes every night my sisters and i would get the wooden spoon or yard stick .... slight bruising..... redness in the morning... never drawing blood though.