Covid 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Mar 11, 2020.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that we're being to judgmental about people who have different practices from us. Sure, under the current circumstances, eating a bat of unknown origin isn't a great idea, but other than that... Did the mad cow disease make us stop eating beef? Nope! We adjusted our regulation in regards to our meat supply, but other than that, after we made sure the cows were healthy, business as usual.

It's not that bats look appetizing to me, and I would have a problem with eating a monkey, especially the ones who display a more humanoid behaviour and species that can appear sentient in general, although that probably mostly applies to apes and maybe whales. But other than whales and chimps and the likes... I really don't have a problem with people eating whatever they consider yummy. If I've eaten pig, cow, sheep, goat, chicken, duck, goose, rabbit, deer, horse, fish, squids, shells, prawns... and it's all mostly considered normal, and if people tell me that camel is really tasty and it's cool to eat frog legs and snails, how do we say to someone "Yuck... Barbaric!" for eating a bat? What do we have to back it up? Again, supply chain issues aside.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I never said it's barbaric. I never attacked anyone's culture. I specifically talked about eating bat/monkeys. Bats because they look disgusting in the best of nights, and monkeys because they are a bit too close to humans.

You eat cows? You sick twisted fuck!

Nah, just kidding, I like cows.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

*Presses F to pay respects.*

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

To be fair I am a fully trained and qualified french chef (that was my style im not french) one of the weeks was spent on food in other cultures

there are some sick bastards out there but each to their own ..but I will never eat Squid, Snails, Chilled Monkey brains, locust, Oysters, pot noodle or Sausages ever again

5. Calliers

I knew it! I just knew Mr Cairo had to be from France! Every time we had an argument he would just lay down and produce a white flag!

j/k j/k :D

Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. Trusteft

Hmm, I will leave aside the delicious bit of info about you. I will just mention, squids can be delicious, snails too. Oysters when I was a kid I used to grab them from the sea floor and eat them like that raw directly from the sea/alive. Pot noodle is disgusting, but I eat them as they are cheap and I add tabasco and cheese for the extra taste. Sausages I like as long as I don't known what's inside them.
    One food I haven't eaten in decades is sheep brain. It's delicious, with a bit of lemon and salt. I can still remember the taste even though the last time I had it was 25+ years ago.
    As for chilled monkey brains, I agree with you. I mean..if they at least used different type of plates...you know?

7. Calliers

I personally love oysters, squid (calamari), scallops, mussels, crab, lobster, but I understand people have their hard limits. My mom won't eat any sea food because the first time she ever tried it, the restaurant was poor and she got food poisoning. Also my landlord's wife won't eat goat, she says it sounds disgusting eating a goat. Myself, I love goat meat, not many places that serve it here (usually African and Indian cuisine) but whenever I can I go for it as I find it delicious. Especially goat curry.

Offals I will eat, as I did grow up eating them, and as for insects I will eat the mohpane worm because again, I did grow up eating it. All other insects are a hard limit.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

You are a very smart individual...

9. Calliers

I just try not to think of what they put in my hot dog, goes down a lot better.

Any one remember the missions in GTA 3 where you'd drop people off at the dog meat factory to um, get...dealt with?

arb65912 likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Yeah.... I never eat those.

11. Trusteft

So, do you have lock down yet?

12. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Very true about the white flag i have never been big on internet arguments, and TBH the people here are way too nice to have grudges with :)

Yeah its in the past now I had a motorbike accident at 21 and messed my knee up real bad, 20 years of 14-16 hour days took its toll and 2010 started working for Virgin media Tech support, was 11stone when I started was nearly 20St in under 2 years there ... that was as bad for my knee as being on my feet all day so took a big lifestyle change and dropped 8 stone ...
    also took away the chair I sat on in work .. that helped

Virgin however did make me redundant last year ..so looking looking looking for work and now this has happened

One of the things I had to do training as a Chef was " from live to the passe", essentially we spent the day at a slaughterhouse and watched animals arrive, get bolted, singed, cleaned and then broken down into whatever... the remains were made into sausages ... we made them ... I didnt eat them for about 4 years after that . Now I just dont think about it :)

Truth be told ..never have and probably never will never try

Lockdown has started in the UK thanks to everyone treating the weekend like a Bank Holiday, personally think it should have happened sooner, Not a busy village where I live but it is surreal and quiet out there, kind of like the old Avengers TV series where the only people on the streets were the cast.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  13. IvanV

We do have a lockdown, although not quite a full one:
    • 65+ year old people are not allowed outside at any time except on Sunday from 4AM to 7AM to buy groceries and visit the pharmacy
    • others are not allowed outside from 5PM till 5AM, except with a work warrant for that day
    • public transport is suspended (twice a day, a handful of special bus lines take people with work warrants to and from work; they mostly go from remote parts of the city to near major medical facilities)
    • most shops except those selling groceries and pharmacies are closed; those that are open work until 3PM; people queue outside because they only allow up to a certain number of people to be inside at any time (depending on the size of the store)
    • restaurants can only give take-out or deliver food
    • church is giving Eucharist to the gathered people using the same spoon for everyone.

(pick the odd one out)

Calliers, Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.
  14. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Im still trying to find out if I can go to work seeing as the UK has gone further into lockdown over night...

Now I am:
    A) Self-Employed Widow Cleaner.
    B) Work with another member of our family... Who lives at a separate address..

- Shops selling non-essential items are to close, along with libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship.
    - Gatherings of more than two people not from the same household will be banned.

The only other acceptable reasons to leave the house are:

• shopping for basic necessities, although this should be done as little as possible
    • medical need or to provide care for a vulnerable person
    • travel to or from work but only where this is absolutely necessary

So we can not gather in a group of more than two, Unless they come from the same household.

In theory we could go out to work as there are only 2 of us and is working outdoors and staying 2 meters apart would not be difficult to do. But as we work on domestic Housing will have a high chance of somebody being in...

The main issue is my Job is classed as a Non-Essential o_O

15. IvanV

Yeah, that last bit looks difficult to get around. :( Is there any kind of aid offered to businesses that have to cease operations?

16. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Yes for Business that employ people.

The Owner / Manager can apply for a cover grant..

It will pay 80% of salary for staff who are kept on by their employer, covering wages of up to £2,500 a month.

Self-employed people will not benefit from these grants, instead the protection for them will come through a more generous benefits system. They will also be able to pay tax later.

Self-Employed (Includes Freelance workers) "£94.25 a week [the Universal Credit payment] which is £377 a month..

My Outgoings on the essential bills are £412... And that is without Food etc..

There is going to be alterations for the self employed this week, but no idea what.

17. IvanV

I hope it changes into something sustainable.

18. IvanV

Preparing for the surge in the number of cases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Tyrsonswood

^^^ That's some serious stuff, right there

20. IvanV

Yup. Around 10,000 beds under the Europe's largest dome (and some say world's largest dome made from unreinforced concrete) - the Belgrade Fair Hall 1. It's supposed to be meant for isolating the lightest cases that don't require special medical care until they are cured and safe to be released home. It's still kind of early days here, with around 300 recorded cases, but if/when it starts to get more serious...

Some say that it's going to have a negative effect, with people potentially trying to hide their illness to avoid being sent there, just because of how scary it looks, and it sure does, but I've seen photos from Spain and China and this seems par for the course as those look pretty much the same. The only such improvised facility that looks significantly nicer is the one being prepared in Austria, with the main difference being that they put cubicle style panels around the beds, turning everything into a hive of twin bedrooms (each with one wall missing, of course).