Creative Audigy 2 AD_EXT pin assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by vassil_bk, Jul 22, 2004.

1. wireman121

wireman121 New Member

I have read through the entire thread, and now I have some questions.

I have a SB Audigy 2 card (Dell OEM) that I have used the kx drivers on. If I try to use the coax output from either my external DVD player, or from my Scientific Atlanta cable box (with Dolby Digital 5.1 turned on) the I/O status is showing R for rate locked, and S for stream locked, but the V for valid audio is not showing up - and I am not getting ANY audio out of the speakers.

If I switch the Scientific Atlanta box output to "other" which I assume is just giving 2-channel audio through the coax then the sound comes through the audigy2 card when attached to the SPDIF CD input, but is not surround. When attached to the SPDIF input at pin 5 it gives NO audio, which from what I read is expected since the CD_SPDIF_IN supports both TTL and coax inputs, but the SPDIF_IN at pin 5 only supports TTL input.

My goal is to use my computer as a 5.1 surround/DD converter and sound system instead of buying a new home theater system since I have the Dell THX system which works great with the internal DVD player.

What is this Coax to TTL converter I keep reading about, and if I am getting rate and stream locks through the kx I/O status screen, do I still need a TTL converter to get a Valid Audio, or is there something else wrong?

My Scientific Atlanta box suports both Optical (TOSLink) and Coax outputs. Would it be easier for me to get a TOSLink receiver and just give it 5V, Gnd and attach the 3rd pin to the SPDIF_IN at pin 5? Will that give me my 5.1 DD input?

Also, with the kx drivers will the CD_SPDIF support 5.1/DD TTL input - or can I only get 1 extra SPDIF 5.1/DD input on this card?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

using kX, you must enable AC3 decoding to get surround sound, though i don't think it works on all digital inputs

3. wireman121

wireman121 New Member

Update. I tore apart my DVD player and hard wired the TOSLink to the SPDIF_IN on pin 5. It intermittantly works. I'm assuming this is because of my soldering job, but could be something else?

Also, I couldnt get the line in (on the back of the card 1/8" input) to work with the kx drivers so i switched back to the creative drivers....I dont know if it is even going to let the spdif_in work even with pins 25 and 35 shorted...but I will try when I get a TOSLink receiver for this thing.

What a project.

Can I get a 2nd SPDIF 5.1/DD input, or will it only support the 1?

4. BadBoy_GT

BadBoy_GT New Member

hey wireman121! i'm trying to do the same thing- let me know how you make out!!! if i have a break-through i'll let you know. don't know if you found any Toslink receivers yet, but here's a few links i found:

WELCOME COMOSS WEBSITE

Jameco Electronics New Manufacturers: TOSHIBA: TORX173F

Sys Concept Inc. Fiber Optic Products Attenuators, Patch cords, Laser Diodes, Connectors, MP3, Toslink, Hybrid Adapter and more: 16Mbps Optical Receiver (Toslink)

Toslink Transmitter Receiver Optical Modules TX / RX; High Speed Signal Transmitter / Receiver (8Mbps, NRZ signal)

keep up the great work!!!

BadBoy :cool:

5. dud89

dud89 New Member

I'm trying to get SPDIF OUT with my Audigy 2 ZS to my video which has a SPDIF IN passthrough to an HDMI out. I used pin 9 for SPDIF OUT and pin 7 for GND, also jumpered pins 25 & 35. I'm using KX 3538m drivers but I can't seem to get any sound. Am I using the right pins and what options should I use for the KX Drivers?

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the audigy 2 has 2 spdif inputs, but only the cd_spdif can decode ac3, otherwise it'll be pure spdif (stereo)

7. tommypeters

tommypeters New Member

BTW, what are the signal levels on the CT4660 D9 connector? TTL? Coax? Creative proprietary?

8. tommypeters

tommypeters New Member

I wonder one thing: The other solutions I have seen have 74HC04/74HCU04 hex inverters. The 74HC04 solution is said not to work too well, the 74HCU04 is said to do. This solution, while otherwise almost identical, has no hex inverters at all. How come, it seems to work well?

9. SpiritOne

SpiritOne New Member

Well, I have read through this thread a few times, and I keep coming up with the same problem. The AD_EXT pinout listed has too many pins for my card.

I have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro series (and I just realized how lame a name that really is). The pinout on the back of the card is listed as AD_EXT and SPDIF_IO. The AD_EXT is a 28 pin connector and the SPDIF_IO is a 10 pin connector.

I want to do two things here.

1. I want to connect my front panel audio on my LianLi PC case. I will be using the J1 connector and This quality tutorial to do that. No problems there, and thank you folks for the link to it.

2. Find a reliable ground and SPDIF OUTPUT pin that I can connect to my video card. This is for a PC that will display on a HDTV. The video card has a embedded HMDI connector and if I can find the SPDIF output pin, it will send audio through to the HDMI cable.

If I can't find the pin, Im going to pull the sound card and use the crappy onboard sound. I have already made it work with onboard stuff, but I want better quality audio here.

Maybe I missed it, but every AD_EXT pinout I have found is a 38-40 pin connection. I need one with 28 pins. Has anyone found this yet?

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the pinout listed here is exactly the same as your card

the first 10 pins of the pinout are the SPDIF_IO connector, 2 key, the next 28 are the AD_EXT connectors

to get spdif out, connect pins 25&35 to "activate" the headers and use pin 9 for spdif output

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

iirc the hex inverter option simply inverts the signal twice (in summary: positive to negative, then back to positive) to simply buffer the signal, to prevent damage to the card, and to bring the signal up to TTL levels, Travelrecs solution that you quoted there provides that buffer with the capacitors and resistors in the circuit

12. JustAMan

JustAMan New Member

What abpout those of us who own the xfi xtreme gamer? the 10 pin spidif io connector is there but all of my attempts to get audio out of it have proven useless.

13. tschanrm

tschanrm New Member

In the X-fi control panel, did you change the rear multi-port connector from line-in to digital I/O? Mine was defaulted to line-in, changing it to Digital I/O allowed me to use the S/PDIF AD EXT on my X-fi

14. elCuco

elCuco New Member

HI...

Front Panel audigy 2 is compatible with X-fi Xtreme Music soundcard ?? :rolleyes:

I appreciate any response :lol:

15. KymyA

KymyA New Member

Questions..

Hi everyone!
    I have buyed the front panel for my soundcard (Audigy2 ZS) that comes from a Audigy2ZS Platinum. The seller tells me that can't find any cable to connect the front panel to the soundcard. It's this possible? How can i connect the Audigy2ZS to this panel? I need a point-point cable? I can modify an ide or floppy cable?
    Thanks!

16. Kzbd

Kzbd New Member

Apparently "x-fi" is too short of a string to search this thread for :(. I bet in one of the 23 pages here someone has talked about using an audigy 2 I/O drive with an x-fi and I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Right now I'm trying to decide if reinventing the wheel would take longer than reading the whole thread.

17. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

well the pinout is the same, though there may be a software "switch" somewhere that needs to be set before it will work (some people are reporting that the pin bridging that would activate the AD-EXT header on an Audigy 2 will not work on an X-Fi) - though you're quite welcome to try it :)

18. Kzbd

Kzbd New Member

Hmm, my X-Fi doesnt have a flat cable connection at all.

19. PIRATA!

PIRATA! New Member

Excuse me, but someone have found a solution for using the ext cable connector for using extra I/O connectors that can mute the Audigy2 back I/O when plugging in a headphone??

Thank you.

20. dikki dik

dikki dik New Member

Ive been following this thread for a while now and i fully connected an audigy bay to my audigy 2 zs, which i am very grateful for. Everything is working fine. Except for the AUX 2 and the Line in 2, but thats a known problem and can be solved.

My main problem is that it is constantly thinking a headphone is connected to the front bay. That's a little bit annoying as the creative drivers switch the sound output to headphone. Everytime i have to manually put it on 5.1, otherwise the sound is very bad.

Is this normal?