Creative Audigy 2 AD_EXT pin assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by vassil_bk, Jul 22, 2004.

1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the ONLY way to get surround sound from an audigy 2 is to use 3 s/pdif connections - they are stereo only, you will only ever get 5.1 using dolby digital (ac-3)
    if you really need that get an nforce 2 system

2. Phynesse

Phynesse New Member

what about the platinum drive, or platinum pro? they have toslinks. anyone know how many channels they put out?

EDIT: got tired of this, will return card tomorrow. grabbed a terratec dmx6 fire on ebay. so long audigy... 5 hours of my life i wont get back

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  3. Michele Spinolo

Michele Spinolo New Member

Hi dj_stick,

sorry to pop-up with a question in my first post, but I am damnly interested about this topic.

Are you saying is it possible to get surround sound (5.1) output from Audigy 2 (Audigy 2ZS too?) using 3 s/pdif connection?
    As far as I can understand doing this I will get 3 PCM output (24/96?) s/pdif signals, am I right?

Which pins are releated to this signals on AD_EXT connector?

Thank you very much in advance and take my apologize for all these questions!

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

pins 9,27,29,31 are all s/pdif outs… i use kX to control these, so i don't know which ones you will need - but first try with 27 as front, 29 as rear and 31 as sub/centre

5. Michele Spinolo

Michele Spinolo New Member

Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply.

I'm looking on Kx website: there are a lot of informations and without them installed (I still have to buy a audigy 2) it's difficoult to understand what they can do.

So are you saying that with Kx audio drivers/suite you can route all 5.1 channels to the s/pdif puts you want?
    Can you also upsample (to 24bit/96Khz) the signal?

Thank you for you patience!

6. scratch

scratch New Member

The original pinout file is unavailable, does anyone know where else I can get it? I cant seem to access the kX wesbite.
    Basically I would like to hook up additional line-ins if that is possible.

Cheers

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

upsampling is useless. You will stll hear the lower quality of the 16/48 source

8. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Code:

................................+5V 1>o	  2 -
    ................................GND 3 o o 4 GND
    ..........................SPDIF0 IN 5 o o 6 GND
    ................................GND 7 o o 8 GND
    .........................SPDIF0 OUT 9 o	  10 -
    .................................- 11	  12 -
    ..........P16VCLK 24.576 MHz clock 13 o o 14 GND
    .....................I2S FrameSync 15 o o 16 GND
    ......................I2S BitClock 17 o o 18 GND
    ..........I2S input to P16V (Aux2) 19 o o 20 GND
    .I2S input to P16V (Line-in2/Mic2) 21 o o 22 GND
    ................GPO1 (GP output 1) 23 o o 24 GPO2 (GP output 2)
    ................GPO0 (GP output 0) 25 o o 26 GND
    ........................SPDIF3 OUT 27 o o 28 GND
    ........................SPDIF1 OUT 29 o o 30 GND
    ........................SPDIF2 OUT 31 o o 32 GND
    .................GPI1 (GP input 1) 33 o o 34 to TAD connector!
    .................GPI0 (GP input 0) 35 o o 36 Audio cable detect!
    ...................UART (MIDI) OUT 37 o o 38 GND
    ....................UART (MIDI) IN 39 o	  40 -

pins 35 <--> 25 to fake 'AudigyDrive' !

Something is VERY VERY wrong with # CODE posting feature, i could barely post this info, had to use darn dots......... :annoyed:

9. Samir

Samir kX Lover

dj_stick:

Are you aware of CODE posting problem in this forum?!?

Could you put AD_EXT pinout info (text version at the begining of this post) please?

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

Samir - email me the original image (if you still have it) and i will upload it to the kX Knowledgebase for you. [email protected]

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

image re-hosted

12. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

About connecting a Live! Drive IR

Oh.. after reading this forum for 2 days, and making few tests, I have some questions to make you.
    I'm an Audigy 2 ZS owner, and I have my old Live! 5.1 Platinum, and I want to use my old Live! Drive IR with my new Audigy.

I've made the AUD_EXT-AD_EXT cable described in this forum, and after checking every pin link, I still have few problems:

1. the optical output intermittently lights up with no audio output.

2. I hear the Aux2 signal only if I act on the Line2/Mic2 slider on the Mixer, and the audio is distorted on the left channel, and absent (noise only) on the right channel... no audio acting on the Aux2 slider on the mixer, even if I put signal on the Line2/Mic2 input.

Now, in the cable schematic posted in this forum, the pins I2SCLK and I2SFS are not connected... may be this the reason for my problem?

The only tested working thing by now is the headphones.

Another thing: I've found on the net an interesting thing for our SB:

http://www.ihda.co.kr./skin/ihda/goods/productView.php?goo_code=030000006243

Also if the product is marked HiTeC, it's easy to see in the images that this product may be made by creative (same PCB, same serigraphy, same layout style).

Bye
    l0v3r

13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

for the line2/aux2 in you need to connect the i2s clock and framsync pins you mentioned are not connected

chances are that device you posted a link to will work just fine, but you won;t have all the extra connections your Live Drive does.

the optical device not working… sounds like its not getting enough power/signal
    check to see if the cable is damaged or not, try also using a different s/pdif output pin

don't forget to connect the bridge wire, bridging pins 25&35

14. Samir

Samir kX Lover

1. Your optic output MUST be lit all time... If otherwise, shomething is wrong with connection, cable may be too long, not enough power, etc... Try connecting optic OUT to optic IN loopback & see what you get at input... :)

2. Live! Drive IR seems to have only one working I2S output... When i tried to connect Live! Drive to my Audigy 2, I got only one input & it was distorted too. I think that old Live! Drives can't work with 96KHz I2S sync. Only way to change this is to use kX drivers...
    You will need to connect I2SCLK to I2SFS. Check what happends when you do this...

Good luck! :)

P.S.

I'm really interested if you can use your remote controller when you connect Live! Drive IR to Audigy 2... Please post here if you managed something...

15. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

I will try something today and I'll post the results soon...
    Thanks for your help... I hope to give you good news :)

16. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

After first test:

- the optical output work... I've never setup the SPDIF frequency to 48Khz in the AudioHQ... the strange thing is that the SPDIF IN pass trought the Drive directly and accept 96KHz frequency too (tested with my home dvd/divx player) and the output is managed from the Drive that do not support 96 Khz (as mentioned many times in this forum).

- the Aux2 and Line2/Mic2 still not work even connecting I2S clock and framesync... I try tonight with kX drivers, setting the I2S clock to 48KHz as you tell me.

I come soon with more test result.

bye

17. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

Yes, there's only Aux2 working and is totaly distorted... and the I2S sync is set to 96 Khz and I've not found any place to change it on the kX drivers... you know where to change it?

Why? What solution adding 3 Mhz clock to the 96 Khz frame sync? Perhaps damaging something for the highest frequency, I think.

bye

18. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Hej, l0v3r, i've seen you've been busy... ;)

I'm in my home town right now, no sound cards stuff for next few days, sorry...

About changing I2S sync from 96 to 48KHz there must be some kX console command, but i don't know which one... Seems we'll need to ask Eugene (kX developer)...

About I2SCLK to I2SFS question:

Oooops! my mistake... Everything should be connected 1:1, this way:

(LiveDrive to Audigy2 order)

AC97CLK to P16VCLK,
    I2SCLK to I2S BitClock,
    I2SFS to I2S FrameSync,
    I2S in to I2S in

19. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

Hehehe, no free days for a PC technician in december-january period... too much things to do :rolleyes:

Oh, Samir, I've tested the remote control, and it works too, but only volume and mute controls under Creative Mixer... I think they have changed the codes with the new RC, but is not a problem, the important is that work, and is usable in a customizable application.

mmmm, PS: where are gone my posts about ADC ICs and cable diagram? lost in the net? :hmm:

see ja

20. l0v3r

l0v3r Member

[​IMG]

This is one post lost, and the other is about Aux2 / Line2/Mic2 inputs, where changing both UDA1360TS with UDA1361TS allow that inputs to work with 96Khz/24bit sample rate (the pin layout is the same, and looking at the data sheet, the may work without changing nothing other).

sayonara.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005