Crysis Unreal Tournament 3 See Low Sales Debuts

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: ShackNews
    When November industry sales data was released this week by tracking firm NPD, the PC platform was notably absent from the list of top ten best-selling games despite the release of high-profile titles such as Epic Games' Unreal Tournament III and Crytek's Crysis. Now, according to NPD data released by market tracking site the simExchange, it seems both games kicked off with disappointing initial sales--neither approached 100,000 units.

The report shows Crysis as selling 86,633 units at retail since its November 13 release; the game's potential audience has no doubt been limited by the game's notoriously steep system requirements. Meanwhile, Unreal Tournament III saw considerably flatter sales, tallying 33,995 since its November 19 release. Prior to the release of this data, many gamers had predicted low sales based on the game's sparse player count; at the time of writing, its current online player count is actually below the single-player-oriented Crysis.

2. Vikingod

Wow, that's pretty bad. I'd heard the online community of UT3 was pretty abbysmal, but nothing like that.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Next time don't focus only on the PCs players will have 3 years from now...BIIAAATCH!

4. Vikingod

A bright note to console gamers though, my guess is the poor sales figures will force them to port Crysis to consoles, to make a buck on it.

5. interspaced

interspaced New Member

Can't see that working out well there are loads of FPS on the 360 at least not to mention the time taken to port and the dumbing down of the game to meet console requirements means I don't think it should be done.

6. OpusP.Gladiator

OpusP.Gladiator '42'

No Marketing either!!!

There was absolutely hardly any marketing for ut3... I mean seriously... So it goes because ut3 has been built upon the backs of its previous versions, they really needed to focus on the single player campaign being much better!!! Although I prefer the VCTF Stuff still...

;):D

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I agree I didn't even know UT3 was out for weeks.

Plus there is a quite a few choices for PC gaming right now so it's a sorta of a mess.

8. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Maybe because they are a bunch of hyped crap with no creativity. Gameplay matters! :)

9. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I think Crysis shot itself by being so demanding and UT3 just didnt really seem to make things fresh enough to really grab your attention, which is too bad cause they did a decent job making hte game playable for the masses

10. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I'm a huge UT fan and I didn't even know UT3 came out. I bought it a couple weeks after it did but I'm severely disappointed. Just like how they murdered bombing run going from 2k3 to 2k4, they've killed onslaught mode going from 2k4 to ut3. When they killed BR though, we at least got onslaught and assault mode. Now onslaught sucks and assault mode is gone? It's like they don't want anyone to play their game.

Also, they removed dodge jumping and other advanced maneuvers so getting around feel tedious. No, a hoverboard that faceplants me when I hit a spec of dust isn't fast, it's annoying. On top of now moving super slow all the weapons are super powerful so killing people and geting killed takes only a couple shots. You have to be jesus to survive on half of the uninspired onslaught maps because they're straight line frag-fests with no hope of tactical approach. By the time you make it to the one and only node everyone is attacking, 50 tons of metal and plasma flying around the area kill you. It's a crapshoot.

That 1.1 patch better be DAMN good. I don't know who Epic programmed ut3 for, but it isn't for their longtime fans and for that I'm giving the middle finger right back at them.

11. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I case you didnt know the 1.1 patch is out al ready

12. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

If something like Oblivion can sell millions, then these games should, too.

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

You will find the patch was released a few days ago on the 11th dec.... you will find the info and download links Here.

14. Trusteft

How can you compare the gameplay value of Oblivion with that of UT3 or Crysis?

15. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

Because Oblivion was mediocre at best, and it's very broken (level scaling) without mods. The only thing it's really good at is killing time.

16. Trusteft

While Crysis and UT3 do what? Improve your basketball skills?

Level scaling, though I don't like it, is not broken. It is part of the design for the specific game.
    If you don't like it, that's all fine.
    It's hardly my favourite rpg, but I don't see how anyone can say it is at best a mediocre game.
    Or how Crysis and/or UT3 are better.