Cutting down

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Has any of you tried to cut down on number of possessions? I am talking about things you have in your place (apartment/house).
    No matter what the reason behind it.

I am probably going to have to move to a new place soon and it is a smaller apartment. About 1/3 smaller but about half the usable space for having things.

Any tips from personal experience?

Clothes is not an issue as I have very few of them. I have one coat (for all seasons), one pair of shoes, and I can probably fit all my other clothes (outside of perhaps beddings) inside a medium to small suitcase.

I do have plenty of books and physical games/music/movies on various formats.
    Also a couple (about 6) computers, 3-6 game consoles, various tech related things (external drives, cables, etc).

etc

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I used to have a LOT of stuff I didn't need but nowadays am a minimalist. Got rid of all the consoles I wasn't using, such as my Xbox One, and the only thing I have "a lot" of now is clothes, as that is the only luxury I allow myself. Other than that I have a desktop and a laptop. I sold my bed room TV and got rid of the sound bar I had in my room. I believe that these days people are taken up by consumerism which I do not want to participate in anymore.

I don't want to start talking about how I believe the next market crash is imminent and you need to prepare accordingly (heck even the mainstream media is talking about it now), but I'd recommend selling anything you don't need or use anymore. Take that money and put it into either gold or even better silver bullion. If you don't hold it, you don't own it. As a rule of thumb you're supposed to have 10-15% of your wealth in gold anyways, the reason for this is so that should any economic kerfuffle go down you are protected and can always recover. Concerning this don't make the mistake of flaunting your wealth while the downturn is around in front of the government and people that are struggling you'll either get it stolen, yourself hurt or get in trouble legally somehow (they may come up with some charge saying you traded sideways or illegally somehow). Instead wait a few years until the dust has settled then start buying up stocks, other financial assets and real estate after things have cooled down.

Also look into putting some of it into food (non persihable, canned food that lasts) and other things like tools and make sure you have a good friend network however small and invest some time in learning some skills, I know how to grow my own food should I ever need to. Should you become part of a community in the future your skills will become invaluable as well as to you yourself.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've very little of anything.. in fact if i needed to, i could likely fit everything almost in a single truck for the most part.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

LOL define Truck .. cause in the UK this is a truck :)

[​IMG]

And the last time I moved I made one journey in one of these and moved it all ...

[​IMG]

Now though it would take the TESCO truck

Trusteft moving home is great for cutting down on stuff ( before I got married I moved about 11 times) but I found that there were certain things I would get rid of that within a year I had purchased again

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

No tips, sorry, I haven't had the experience.

Good thing is you don't have a lot of clothes, so whatever the storage space you have in the new place, hopefully you can temporarily store the electronics there, then gradually set things up as you get accustomed to the new flat. You'll probably also figure out which of the stuff mostly stays in the closet and that may be what you'll decide to get rid of.

I don't know how costly it is to rent some storage (a la Storage Wars). I didn't know we had those around, but found out that a guy I knew rented a "garage" for the LEGOs for which his wife didn't know about (as opposed to those which filled their house).

6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

make a simple rule, something like; haven’t used it regularly in X months -> it gets sold / binned / given

and only keep stuff for very real, genuine personal reasons.
    not ‘just in case i discover what this is a remote control for in 5 or 10 years’

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

First of all, thank you all for your input.

Me thinks you are a bit paranoid. Here in Greece we have a crisis for almost a decade now. You are lucky if you have a monthly salary of 500 euros. Others get hired to work for 4 hours a day then asked to work for another 4-6, without the extra pay. It's not unusual to have a salary of 280 euros. With which you are supposed to live when you will be lucky to find a rental for under 200.

Things obviously can always get worse, but if we reach a Mad Max level of crisis, fuck storing food. I am going out in a blaze of glory. I will be the next Humungus.

That's not bad.

I don't want to go that way. I have made fun of people who sold/gave away stuff only to buy them again in the future, and again and again.
    It's a waste of money. Well...potentially anyway :p

Oh yeah, I am thinking of that too. For example I have a sunflower imac in its box, I could put it in the bedroom instead of a closet which lets face it, I wouldn't use anyway. Or something like that. Also in the "kitchen" there are plenty of cupboards which I would never fill with relevant things anway, so I could place hard drives, etc in there.
    Unfortunately there are no storage places for rent here. You can find large storage places for rent, but nothing like mini storage or something. At least I haven't been able to find one yet. I know there is one in Athens, but that's about 600km away or something.

That's what I am thinking of doing, but what you said in your last sentence is what stops me. I do think like that and I can't stop it.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

[​IMG]

Mr Cairo likes this.
  9. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I don't think things will be like Mad Max no, we've gone through recessions before, I don't know why people keep thinking that when people say prepare for a few days to a week or so without food being delivered to shops means a Mad Max situation, although there certainly could be a Mad Max situation however it is just as unlikely of happening as nothing at at all happening and the economy just keeping on being alright with all the stress cracks in it.

10. HaiAnhTran

HaiAnhTran New Member

I usually buy things when I like but do not use it. Until it was minimal, it was a waste