Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Review @ GameSpot

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Iria, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Review: GameSpot
    _________
    The Might and Magic universe dates all the way back to 1986. In those 20 years, we've seen plenty of different games on plenty of different platforms, but most of them have fallen squarely into the turn-based strategy or role-playing sectors. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, from Ubisoft and Arkane Studios, doesn't really fall into either of those categories. Like Arkane's previous game, Arx Fatalis, this is a first-person game. But Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is extremely light on the role-playing, instead focusing its energy on sword-swinging, magic-fireball-shooting action. Unfortunately, the action gets repetitive quickly, and the game's often-transparent storyline doesn't pick up any of the slack.

2. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

3. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I knew this game was horrible when I first played the demo. I can't truelly believe anyone thought this game was goin to be good based on that demo. 50$? Sorry, I'll keep it.

4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Bummer, I really wanted this game to be good, the previews looked good :(

Maybe after 7-8 patches it will be playable, just like Titan Quest.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I was hoping for something to distract me from OBLIVION....but, this ain't no OBLIVION. :(

I, too, have been very skeptical since the demo and was hoping for more diversity and a good story.

6. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

I didn't play demo. I wanted to keep my hopes for full game. But damn, gotta stop downloading it then. Damnit, i had such hopes on it. oh,well, atleast combat is gonna be nice.

7. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

Well, you guys should also know not to trust Gamespot for reviews... in my experience what they've said about games is about completely opposite of how I feel. I bought the game, and it's fun... but I can't figure out how to climb ladders... EDIT: Got it, I think there may have been a glitch in my game at the first ladder you see.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The gamespot review is a sham.

With that out of the way...

Do not trust this review on gamespot right now their forums are filled with pissed off people who are disappointed in Gamespots review of this game and for good reason: it's a great game. Look no further than Gamespots 8.4 "they say" rating. Sites like ign gave it 8.8 does that sound like a bad game?

I finished Dark Messiah and I really enjoyed it. It's nothing like Oblivion so don't go in expecting an RPG really what this is an an FPS with magic , melee and stealth combat. The similarities with Half Life 2 are there in more ways than just the engine.

The reviewer was far too hard on the combat system, it's the best part of the game and far beyond any combat in other RPG/FPS. Certainly it's a great deal better than Oblivions combat and that was fun.

If you decided not to buy/download this game after that review check out the reviews on Eurogamer and IGN and others available below. If you read those you'll see it's a game you definitely don't want to skip.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/darkmessiahofmightmagic/review.html?mode=web

9. technonerd

technonerd New Member

I'm just curious do they really finish the whole game or just 25% of the game and then write the review ?

Just that the review seem pretty harsh , maybe he smoked way too much weed which can screwed you up and make you think that this games is too buggy.

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Btw, I ran into no serious bugs mentioned in the review. The only issues I had was the game would lockup if I tried to ALT-TAB and it crashed to the desktop one time out of the entire time I played it. This is not a buggy game like Gothic 3.

Technonerd, Gamespot even made an extensive gameguide for this game including videos why would they do that for game that sucks?! The guy playing it in the videos was really good at it and having some fun with magic (I didn't get enough magic skill points) I certainly don't think he would have given it such a bad review.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I don't just look at the rating, I look and review everything they say about the game. From what I read it is exactly how I pictured it. The had adds up before for Dark Messia on their site so they don't really have a bias against it. Anything that doesn't get over a & on that site usually isn't worth looking through.

This game is a clunky combat RPG with few player upgrades and doesn't really vary in its combat. Its like they took the might and magic name title and said "hmm, I know what it needs. Lets make it more trendy so morons can enjoy it. I think 75% hack and slash should do the trick."

Not calling anyone a moron for playing it though.

I think Omega Red may be suffering from the "I bought crap music so now I'm goin to force myself to like it" :D

Edit: They have to finish the game, and usually on every difficulty to write the game guide.

Dude, this game is absolutely horrible from what I played, and from what I read it hasn't chaged from how the demo was which is enough for me. I am not goin to pay 50$ for another source mod, sorry.

Edit: Dude, also IGN has a huge ad of Dark Messia on its front page... so yea...

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Gamespots review is an anomaly all the other sites rated it in the high 80's and they had better writeups about the pros and cons of the game. The review says the "combat is unsatisfying" and anyone that's played the full game knows this is absoltely not true. This guy is obviously not making an accurate review.

So you're ok if you buy it just as long as you don't like it.

I didn't buy it. I've got no bias and unlike you I actually played it so if I thought the game was great that means a lot more than you not liking it.

The demo didn't impress me either nor did the multiplayer beta. The same level in the full game is much better because you have access to skills, weapons and armor not available in the demo.

I'm not here to shill for the game as it's not that fantastic it's just that Gamespot is very misleading and sadly they are the CNN of the gaming world people trust their reviews (I know I do).

13. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Well is the combat, story, and character models character models the same as in the demo?

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Combat is unlocked as you gain skills. You can't execute powerful melee attacks, stealth moves or magic until you use those skill points. In the demo you only get a couple of points and can't unlock anything useful. The same applies to weapons and armor you can't even use them unless you've gained a required skill.

I finished the game and hadn't even unlocked the best stealth or magic if there is anything to complain it's that you don't get enough points to master all 3 skills.

15. Dyre Straits

Since you have finished the game, give us some idea of how much gameplay time is involved.

Also, is there actually any reason to continue playing after you finish or is it a "done-done" deal? For example, in OBLIVION, even though the main quest was finished months ago, I'm still finding plenty of reasons and new things to do. There's still a lot of new areas and jobs/quests to be done.

So, when you finish DM, does it close to the credits?

16. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

12-15 hours gameplay with standard quick saves and check points. There isn't much to explore so the time won't vary much.

I would say the replay value is the same as you'd get from Half Life 2. There is some extra replay value because you can't earn enough skill points to max out all your skills so you could play once with stealth and then try again with magic or melee. Half my inventory was weapons and armor I wasn't skilled enough to use. Most people will be well rounded with all 3 skills but you can't get all the best stuff that way.

Yes, and it's the longest damn game credits I've ever seen. You are then taken to the main menu to start a new game it doesn't continue on like Oblivion.

17. Dyre Straits

^^^^ OK...next question:

Is the game worth $50 US?

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

From your answer of my question, I am never goin to buy this game. Thanks though.

19. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

This game sounds to interesting to pass out, i'll try it as soon as i have a change regardless of reviews.

20. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'd say so. Aside from the singleplayer there's multiplayer too.