DC cleaning too well?

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Pyrophoric, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

I have had this problem in the past but it doesnt happen all the time, maybe 1 in 7 cleanings.

The problem is, I uninstall my video drivers (in the past I have been using an nVida card) and then run DC in safemode. After running DC, I can no longer install any drivers for the card. It is just seen as a standard VGA and wont even let me do the have disk method.

Last night, I just got my new motherboard and 4870 x2 so had to do a clean install. Stupidly, I assumed the drivers on this brand new card line would be even close to being up-to-date. Sadly, after installing the drivers I realized it installed v8.52.

Needless to say I promptly uninstalled the drivers, loaded in safemode, cleared everything ATI using DC, reloaded Windows and tried to install the 8.7 drivers I downloaded from the ATI website. However, all they do is install the install manager, nothing else. I can't have disk or anything.

In the past, I have had this problem on XP 32, 64, Vista Premium 32, 64, Vista Ultimate 32 and 64. Currently I am on Ultimate 64.

Any suggestions here? I dont know if this is DC, a randow Windows bug or just bad luck.

Thanks!

2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

First be sure you have the correct version of CATALYST 8.7 VISTA x64

if it unpacks bunt wont install you can try to manuall install it from the device manager.

Right click My Computer, choose manage.

Select the device manager and look for an unrecognized piece of hardware labeled STANDARD VGA or something of the like.

Right click on that device and select Update/install drivers. it will then ask you to go online or to use the disk method. you should be able to point the disk method to C:\ATI\Support\8-7_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_66000 and get the driver installed.

you will still need to manually instal the CCC it sounds like as well.

3. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Yeah, the "have disk" method. Thats what I did and it still wont install.

Triple checked the drivers to make sure they are 8.7 Vista 64.

4. [hobo]eclipse

Just to be sure, you are selecting 4870 from this page?

what brand and make of 4870X2 do you have.

sounds like maybe your card is not recognized by the .ini provided, which is beyond my scope of help. I'm sure others with this type of problem or 4870X2 experience will chime in.

5. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Yup, select Vista 64, Radeon, Radeon HD 4870 Series then download Catalyst Software Suite (64 bit) English Only.

That didnt work so I tried option 2 wich is just the display driver as one download and the Control Center as a seperate.

Edit:

Card is from Gigabyte.

Thats what I would normally think with regards to the ini but it installed fine before I uninstalled. Gonna post on the ATI forum as well to make sure the 4870 x2 is covered in the 8.7 drivers.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. [hobo]eclipse

u could try a complete reinstall of vista if that is an option using the downloaded driver right after install to see if the driver indeed is lacking support for your card or if something was altered on the OS that is preventing install.

i don't believe it is a Driver Cleaner issue but i may be wrong.

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

DC removes the c:\ATI\ folder and registry keys that are associated with the AMD/ATi drivers. So I think that your issues aren't related to DC at all. I think that the drivers .inf files don't have the information needed.

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

HI, i think the problem here is that the official 8.7 drivers dont support the X2. You will need to wait on 8.8 for one newer that the driver that was bundled with the card. 8.7 was released in July, before the X2 was available.

9. [hobo]eclipse

i wandered if that's why 8.52 was provided

10. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Yeah, I am not sure what the issue is. However, the fact that I have had this problem before makes me wonder if it is DC. That doesn’t mean it is but that still puts it as a possible cause in my mind.

The last occurrence I had of this problem was actually when I upgraded from an 8800gts to a manufacturer overclock 9800. I uninstalled the drivers I was using and downloaded the latest official drivers from the nvidia site but when I went to install them it only took seconds and after rebooting the new card was still labeled as "standard VGA." After I formatted though, I installed the new drivers fine.

Since I haven’t really even started installing much on the rig yet I can just reformat and try the 8.7 drivers to see for sure (I also made a post on the ATI forums). If they install fine that still points to either the control panel uninstall or DC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  11. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

can you send me the log files from the log folder inside the Driver Cleaner.NET installation folder? send them to info at drivercleaner dot net

But this problem i have also see it on the net with people that did not use Driver Cleaner, so not sure why it happens, but maybe the log will also help me.

12. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Sure as soon as I get home.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past that the default uninstaller is doing this, just not sure which though cause I generally do both (uninstall then DC).

13. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Your problem is that 8.7 dont support the X2 thats why it wont install.

14. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Guess so...

AMD Game Forums - 4870 x2 with 8.7 drivers?

However, trying to reinstall the 8.52 doesn't work anymore either! :(

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I hate to say but I had the same issue, not with Drivercleaner, but when I was testing the 4870 X2 for a CF x review I removed nvidia cards and couldnt get the 4870 X2 to install correctly at all, even with Drivercleaner after it.

My only solution was a reformat, then a clean install of the 8.8 betas. I didn't spend much time trying to resolve it mind you as I tend to just reformat quite often for clean condition testing purposes. I am not sure if its a random problem with the drivers on some level or something corrupting in the registry. I have never seen it happen with Nvidia cards.

16. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric New Member

Sorry, didn't have a chance to send the logs last night but I did save them to my second driver before I formatted. Will send them tonight!

After formatting, everything installed fine.